Beretta Nano Quick Review

Jvanreed

I purchased a Nano as a thin conceal weapon rather than the LC9 while waiting for a Solo to arrive These are my pro and cons after a month of carry and about 125 assorted rounds fired.
Pro: Thin as an LC9, but a better grip feel, overall smaller than an LC9 (Kimberly Solo size), fits into waistband much better than a Glock 27. Fairly accurate at 7 and 15 yards. No misfires or misfeeds. Looong trigger pull at 9 lbs provides extra security for trigger safety, very Glock like design and breakdown. Very smooth unobstructed pull from holsters. Defense rounds produce more snap, but it is not very noticible, even after several magazines. Cons: Most noticible, extremely top heavy causing a definite automatic down pull of front sight, no magazine pinky extension, front sight tends to get lost in rear sights.
Overall, I like this weapon, but it naturally does not shoot as comfortably as my Glock 27. It fits a specific small form factor need with decent punch. I trust it in my waist band and I quickly adjusted to the long pull. to improve it, I will add some TruGlo TFO sights when they come out and a Pearce magazine extender when they are available, hopefully for an even nicer grip. I will also consider weighting the Pearce extension to balance out the heavy barrel, which is irritating and harder to adjust to than I expected.

I just bought my smallest handgun ever a Walther S&W PPK/S .380 never thought I would buy a .380, it's neat small carry IMHO. Great grip and feel also really nice DA trigger. really shots good groups at at 15 yards.

Thanks Jvanreed, I was thinking about getting one actually. Good to read your thoughts about yours, beats reading a review in a gun rag that takes advertising...

I can't decide tho between the Nano and a Kel-Tec PF9, shown here: Link Removed My PM-9 is absolutely perfect, but I do not want to shell out those kinds of bucks again.

How much did you end up paying for the nano? I had the chance to get it for 399 but passed on it, now the stores out of them and I saw one on a buds auction go for 560.

As far as the pf9 I owned one and loved it. It actually fits the hand really well. Only downside was I found it to be very snappy, almost like shooting a .40 kinda snap. Other than that it fit the bill, and the newer models are built nice. They look a lot more expensive then they are

Bump...

I bought a Nano a couple of months ago and have had enough time with it to offer clear impressions.

There is nothing in the OP to disagree with except, perhaps, the value of the pinky extension for concealed carry. While adding a round to the normal 6+1 would be nice, the capacity, two fingers below the trigger guard and a spare magazine is working for me. I'd be interested in a follow up from Jvanreed now that he's had the gun for seven or eight months. Top heavy, no doubt - but I can't complain that the balance is detracting from my acquisition time, shooting speed or accuracy (such as it is). The more I shoot the Nano the more I like it and, from the get-go, it shot straight and very naturally.

There is criticism about needing a pointy-thing to decock the trigger (if you elect to decock before breakdown; it's safer, sure) and a flat tool to release the slide. I'm OK with that. A spent casing or a penny will release the slide and, if you don't have a pointy-thing to decock, you can still strip the pistol. Besides, with zero malfunctions I haven't had a reason to strip the gun anywhere except on the workbench - no issue for me.

It has fired 400 rounds of 9mm FMJs and hollow points from 115gr up to 147gr including some +P. I am not a 100-yard accurate pistolero but I'm fine with the Nano on vitals at 25-yards and ripping the seeds out of a small canteloupe at 7-yards. I like the hand-fit, I like the accuracy, I like the manageable DA trigger and, more than anything, I LOVE the smooooooooth draw of a thin, perfectly snagless frame. I carry the Nano IWB but it'll pass in cargo pants or jeans (if they're not tight fitting).

If there is a second thought, it's this: what sense does a sub-compact 7-round 9mm make given the many alternatives? The question is not about the functioning of a Nano but rather about the philosophy of smooshing any 9mm into a bite-sized, low-capacity package. This new (and hot) market segment will reveal its validity or consequences over time. I like the firearm but believe the jury will be out for a while before passing judgment on the micro-nine concept.

So, a followup to this post, as someone had asked for one. My number 1 key to a good gun is do I trust it. Will it perform every time. After hundreds of rounds, I have never had a single failure of any type with any brand of ammo, cheap or defense. It loads smoothly and cleans easily. I trust this handgun. Now, to be a little more critical. It does not fit my hand well. The slope of the handgrip just below the slide leaves a little gap that produces an awkward feeling. I think the extended mag would help alleviate this, but they sell out in hours of being available from Beretta's website. How does it shoot, well despite being front heavy, it shoots very well, more like a full size 9mm. I am constantly surprised at how well I shoot with this. Tin cans just go flying during my both eyes open quick targeting practicing at extended distances (15-30 yards). Being only a so-so target shooter, I feel very confident with this weapon.
Is it my main go to gun? Actually no, I still prefer my little Kimber solo. Lighter, better feel. However, I think a nice Crossbreed holster might change my mind. I definitely prefer it to the Ruger Lc9 at a similar price.

i will be finding out soon enough. Just ordered one. This is my 4th carry weapon. Bought the LC9 cause i wanted one with a safety then an LCP because i wanted something smaller to conceal. Then i realized i prefered the double action and no safety. Bought a keltec. Really loved it, BUT at first i was having a lot of jamming problems. THat stopped but now the trigger hangs up constantly where i have to let completely off the trigger before it will fire again. Definately wasnt doing that before. Got about 1000 rounds thru it. I called kel tec and they said send it in. I havent decided if i am going to keep it after i get it back or not.

I really like the gun but i wouldnt bet my life on it. So i ordered the nano. Should be here soon. Done alot of research on all of them. Seems to me the Kahr CM9 and the Nano are the best for carrying. I dont know ruger doesnt make a double action 9mm cor carrying. To me, its worth spending the extra $100 on one you know will shoot every time for peace of mind. If i need it to save my life i dont want to have to be wondering if it is going to fire or not when you need it most

rick

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back