beretta 92fs vs taurus pt92

springfield1911

I love the 92 model guns. I have a friend that says stay away from taurus but i know taurus bought the beretta factory years back and is making the 92 model just like beretta did only cheaper. My question is does are they really as good as the beretta and if so why are they cheaper? thanks in advance for your input.

Taurus

They are not that much cheaper anymore. The quality of the Taurus is on par with the Beretta. Those who do not own a Taurus pistol will always say they are sub par. That being said my two primary carry guns are a PT1911B and a PT92 SS AFS. I do now that their are some serious problems going on with 2009 models. I have bought a 22 caliber revolver, and a PT38 super which were complete crap, and both made in 2009. I think there was a rush in late 2008 and early 2009 to get the pistols out when everyone was going crazy to buy anything they could get their hands on. Even my 2009 Beretta, CZ, Smith and Wesson were all junk, just a bad year for guns I guess. In Summery don't let anyone tell you not to buy a Taurus pistol until you have fired it for yourself. I trust my life with mine everyday.:pleasantry:

Taurus just brought their building in brazil nothing else man. Go with the Taurus if you like but beretta has been around almost 475 years. I personally love my beretta and my brother just got an new 92 and loves it. The US military likes them as well and I'm thinking on getting one of their shotguns too.

A little history on the Taurus PT92 Pistol

Taurus entered into the pistol business almost by chance. In 1974, Beretta won a major pistol contract for the Brazilian military. Part of the contract stipulated that Beretta manufacture the pistols in Brazil and employ Brazilian labor. Accordingly, Beretta constructed a large plant in San Paulo and when the contract expired in 1980, Beretta sold the entire facility to Taurus, including all technical data, tooling and machinery.

In one fell swoop, Taurus was in the pistol business. While the Beretta factory continued to manufacture Beretta-type pistols under the Taurus name, the Brazilian company set out to redesign the pistols for improved performance and ergonomics. The result was the Taurus PT 92 series.

At first glance, the Taurus PT 92 and PT 99 appear to be simple Beretta 92 clones, but while similar, the Pt's are functionally different than the Beretta product. Beretta 92 and Taurus PT 92 parts will not interchange, not even magazines.

While the Beretta 92 series pistols are excellent handguns, they lack several features that many pistol users find attractive. The most significant change undertaken by Taurus engineers was redesigning the fire control mechanism and moving the selector switch from the slide down to the pistol's frame, where most shooters feel it belongs.

The ambidextrous Taurus selector switch is right next to the shooter's thumb and can be accessed without changing one's grip on the pistol. The uppermost position is "safe," while the first notch down is "fire." Pressing the selector switch down beyond the "fire" position safely drops the hammer.

This ingenious design not only makes the Taurus PT 92 more ergonomically friendly, but enables the gun to be carried in the classic cocked-and-locked Condition One. This is widely accepted as the fastest carry mode for getting a pistol into action and also eliminates the need to transition from a double- to single-action grip after the first shot. Most shooters also prefer the wider grip grooves on the Taurus slide over the thin ones of the Beretta.
So while Beretta is Beretta, Taurus is Taurus. Not clones or wannabe's, but their own design and company.
I own both, and the Taurus is better. I'll have to see about the new Beretta 92A1 Maybe just an old dog with a new trick.

I would not buy the Taurus. I made that mistake. After buying a Beretta model 96 and put thousands of rounds through it, I wanted a 9mm. I bought the PT92 in stainless and regretted it. Its fit and finish is nothing like a Beretta. I sold it quickly and bought the Beretta model 92 Inox. Lesson learned.

I can't speak for Beretta as I have never owned or even shot one. But my primary carry weapons are the Taurus Pt-92 AFS ans the Ruger P-90. A little large but both are great to carry and shoot. TAURUS? One of the greatest.

I have a stainless Taurus PT92 w/ rosewood grips. Was a joy to shoot. Never an issue and very little recoil.

i got a Taurus PT100 which is there 40 S&W... not a single problem here... granted i havnt fired thousands of rounds through them so my testimony can be ignored.. but i do like the feel of it better.. but i would buy a Berretta also...

The fit and finish of the Beretta are far above anything Taurus does.

I had a PT and the FS to choose from and it was a slam dunk for me!

-Doc

I would not but the Taurus. I made that mistake. After buying a Beretta model 96 and put thousands of rounds through it, I wanted a 9mm. I bought the PT92 in stainless and regretted it. Its fit and finish is nothing like a Beretta. I sold it quickly and bought the Beretta model 92 Inox. Lesson learned.

It seems every time I get attracted to buy a Taurus, I read something like this that shuts down any such foolish thoughts. As was mentioned Taurus pistol clones are not that much cheaper than the actual models they copy. Their customer service is one big horror story if you believe anything from people on forums like this who have had issues with them. In short, why take the gamble when for a few bucks more you can purchase original quality? Bill T.

This sounds like my sons, one swears by a Chevy the other by a Ford. I guess what I am saying is, do they job we ask of them? The answer is yes they do. As I said before I have not owned or for that matter even shot a Beretta so I can't judge, except to say I like my Taurus weapons. I am now the proud owner of the Taurus PT 140 Millennium and will shoot it today. I have heard good things about the Beretta and some horror stories also. Far more good than bad. Beretta? Ok great. Taurus? Good to just not as expensive. Walk softly, and shoot straight friends.

I don't own the Beretta 92 or the Taurus PT92, but I do own a Beretta Model 1951 9mm that I bought NIB way back in the early 70's and it still spits them out on demand after all of these years! I feel that my Taurus pistols, ie.; PT145, PT709ss, 738/TCP, and PT25 will give me the same service. :pleasantry:

I would trust by life to a Beretta. I doubt I would make that claim with a Taurus. A FTF at the range results in disappointment, the same on the street can get you killed. It just isn't worth taking the chance. The Beretta went through military trials, and won. That carries a lot of weight in the dependability department in regards to any weapon. How many Law Enforcement or military personell carry Taurus pistols? Bill T.

I am looking at the two guns not for carry. I have a 1911 for my carry gun. I just like the model 92's but dont wanna buy a crappy gun. I am a poor college student so saving a few bucks is somewhat of a big deal.

I am looking at the two guns not for carry. I have a 1911 for my carry gun. I just like the model 92's but dont wanna buy a crappy gun. I am a poor college student so saving a few bucks is somewhat of a big deal.

Understood. There in lies the problem with Taurus. You may purchase one, and in the process wind up with an excellent pistol that will give you years of trouble free service. On the other hand you could get a "lemon" that is problem plagued with things like small parts breakage, stove piping, FTF, FTE, etc. That's just the way it seems to go with Taurus. And for no rhyme or reason. Yes, that can, and does in fact occur with other makes as well, it just seems to be far more prevalent with Taurus handguns for some reason.

Another thing you want to concern yourself with is resale value. If you purchase a Beretta, if and when you ever decide to sell it, even non enthusiasts know the Beretta name. After all it's been around for 400 years. Taurus, not so much so. Also, the Beretta can be had on sale for almost at Taurus prices. My wife purchased this Beretta 92-F brand new from Cabela's for just $549.00. I've seen the Taurus clones sell for as much, or in some cases even more. It's your decision, but with all things considered I would shop carefully, and go with the Beretta. At the risk of sounding like an oil filter commercial, you can pay now, or pay later. Bill T.

Beretta92-F.jpg

I might buy the PT92 based only on the frame-mounted safety, which I really prefer. How old/classic do I have to go if I want to get a Beretta 92 with a frame-mounted safety and how much does it cost (I don't mean that 75th anniversary collectable, I want to pay <$500. Hello, by the way, I'm new and arrived here via Google search!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I have owned several Taurus handguns and I never had a problem with them , now that out of the way there has NEVER been a gun manufacturer that has not had a recall / problem with their products it is a tool and like such is capable of defects from manufacture . I would recommend it to anyone who needs a good firearm for defense who can not afford an expensive firearm .

I was an armorer in the marines for 8 years and have repaired many berettas. While I’ve never had my hands on the Taurus version I suspect that it would suffer the same short comings and I would not trust my life to either as an EDC. Locking blocks are/were the biggest weakness for any gun that had some mileage on them. I would personally prefer something with a fixed locking mechanism as less moving parts the better.

Now from the range gun standpoint I wouldn’t have a problem with either one, but my preferred pistol of the two would be the Taurus because of the safety/decocker location. It’s just more ergonomically correct to me.

My first pistol was a Taurus PT940 and I still have it and still shoot it today. We have been together for 22 years and have many more years ahead of us. Thousands of rounds have been sent down range and never a single problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I have 2 Beretta's & 3 Tauri. I like them all, but the PT is better ergonomically because of the safety on the frame.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back