Barrel Break-In

hp-hobo

It's been a long, long time since I've had a new hunting rifle that needed the barrel broken in.

Well, under the Christmas tree is a new Mossberg 100 ATR chambered in .270 for my stepson. I want to make sure it gets broken in correctly. This is the procedure I've used in the past and intend to use again.

Before pulling the trigger the first time, the gun will be torn down, inspected, thoroughly cleaned and lubed. This has actually already been done to save time Saturday. Break-in procedure will be fire one round, wet patch barrel, dry patch barrel and cool off. Repeat ten times. Then fire two rounds, wet & dry patch barrel and cool off. Repeat 5 times. This is a total of 20 rounds. Then detail stip rifle, inspect, clean, lube reassemble. Break-in complete.

This is the old school way that I was taught 40 some years ago by my father. Is there anything new I should know about?

I just went through the same thing.

I got some schooling from some old pros on my new 700 SPS in .308. I got the gun last month and wanted to do it right. I also started with breakdown then clean and lube. I was told 1 shot 1 clean for the first 10 and then every 2nd or 3rd shot and clean(this part was optional). By clean I was told to run some hoppes #9 and or Rem 40x bore cleaner until the patch is clean( I wrap the patch around a brush and avoid the jags). I posted my results below. I also didn't sight in my scope until after shot 10. The results were rather odd, but you be the judge.

Shot 1 thru 9 was my cleaning(no adj to scope). 10 thru 13 was my sighting in. I then did a 4shot group to the right(all at 100yds on a Cauldwell lead sled duo). Notice how the end of the cleaning process 7,8 and 9 the drift to the right slowed to a creep. Shot 11 was a goof as I forgot I was at 100yds(thought 50yds) and adjusted the scope half as much as needed. I used fairly cheap ammo and actually had stellar results. Tula 150gr FMJ, Non-corrosive. $4.89 a box

Link Removed

Link Removed

Thanks for your response. That's how we went ahead and broke in the barrel and sighted in the scope. I just wish my 17-year old shooter was as good of a rifleman as he gives himself credit for being, because it didn't sight in like yours.

P.S. That's a nice set-up you have there and some good shooting too.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back