At-Purchase Forms

Rosie Finch

Hi

I've had a CC permit in NY for 25 years. I had a small .22 for several years that I transferred to my brother when I moved out of the country for a while.

I'd like to purchase a small weapon for self-defense, but I'm hesitant. I'm a veteran who has been seeing mental health practitioners for a few years now.

What will happen if I attempt to purchase a .22 handgun at Gander Mountain? What will I do to my "record" with NYS if I'm rejected?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Is there no one who can tell me what to expect from the purchase background check? Rats. Can anyone point me to someone who can or perhaps a site that might have that information?

I'm not a crazy vet. I'm a woman who was assaulted and wants to feel safe again. I also happen to be a disabled vet who is using the VA healthcare system, to include a therapist.

I'm worried that even though I have a NYS CC permit in hand, there may be questions on the purchase form that will ask about my mental health. I don't want to be rejected and then put on an FBI watch list or something. I'd rather do without the weapon than have that happen.

Can't anyone please give me some advice?

Rosie:

I sympathize with you, but I don't know the answers. You might try this site for free legal advice.

Link Removed

I say you should not be able to own a gun if you have any mental issues or are under a doctors care for such period. I understand where you are coming from but under no circumstances should any person be entitled to own a hand gun or a long gun if they have any kind of metal issues. Its a powder keg waiting to explode... If you apply and get denied because you have issues that are on file then you need to live with that. With all that said why not simply cal the permit clerk and find out what options you may have... I do wish you the very best and thanks for serving our fine country, But metal issues will get you denied fast...

I say you should not be able to own a gun if you have any mental issues or are under a doctors care for such period.

Really? Everyone has mental issues at some point in their life.

A young wife and mother is killed in a auto accident . Now her husband is depressed and worried about the kids. , so his doctor prescribes some Prozac. Should he have to give up his guns ?

What about some poor guy guy who gets laid off and can't sleep due to financial worries ? Should he be forced to give up his guns.

Or the house wife who is Obsessive Compulsive (O.C.D.) about house work and cleanliness.
Millions of people have some form of O.C.D. and are being treated for it. Should they all be denied a firearm?

You see my point? Mental issues can come in many shapes and forms.
To say any person with any mental issue is unfit to own a gun is ignorant and narrow minded.

It is attitudes like this that prevent some people from getting the help they need.
You can not paint all mental issues with the same brush.

Last edited:
I say you should not be able to own a gun if you have any mental issues or are under a doctors care for such period.

Really? Everyone has mental issues at some point in their life.

A young wife and mother is killed in a auto accident . Now her husband is depressed and worried about the kids. , so his doctor prescribes some Prozac. Should he have to give up his guns ?

What about some poor guy guy who gets laid off and can't sleep due to financial worries ? Should he be forced to give up his guns.

Or the house wife who is Obsessive Compulsive (O.C.D.) about house work and cleanliness.
Millions of people have some form of O.C.D. and are being treated for it. Should they all be denied a firearm?

You see my point? Mental issues can come in many shapes in forms.
To say any person with any mental issue is unfit to own a gun is ignorant and narrow minded.

It is attitudes like this that prevent some people from getting the help they need.
You can not paint all mental issues with the same brush.

AMEN excellent post! You got it exactly right. Gee I was depressed when my sister died. That makes me crazy? You are so right when you say everyone has mental issues at some point. Not all mental issues are created equal.

I gotta agree with guttercat. Depending on how you define mental health issues they can range from harmless dyslexia and synaesthesia to violent psychoses and dissociative disorders (which also are not necessarily make the sufferer a dangerous or legally mentally defective person). Regardless of whether you (buckdropper) did mean to imply that dyslexics and insomniacs should be denied firearms or if you misspoke and only meant that those with mental illnesses which make them violent and dangerous should be denied firearms you need to be more careful with your words. Broad generalizations and inaccurate/unspecific terminology is what leads to things like "assault weapon" being applied to a huge cross-section of firearms and when laws are made that include that term it affects much more than it should because of the imprecision of the language.

ETA: @Rosie:
Here's a link to a scan of ATF Form 4473, which is the only one I can remember filling out when buying long guns in NYS, don't know about handguns, but I could be wrong, it's been a while. The question of interest is 11f, and it's pretty specific. The way I interpret it is unless you have ever been treated as an in-patient or resident of an institution or it has been legally ruled that you are unable to live independently and manage your affairs, you would answer no. Even if you have been seeing a therapist or psychologist. As far as the background check I don't really know what's all involved in that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back