Arizona Concealed Weapons Permit - Resident/Non-Resident Reciprocity

foots402

I email AZ CWP DEPT for a friend of mine to get a application for a non-resident for him. They replied and said we only have one permit - we do not differentiate between resident and non-resident. My question is, on the carry maps should'nt the reciprocity be the same for the resident and non-resident since they do not differentiate between resident and non-resident?

Concealed Weapons Reciprocal and Recognition Agreements - Arizona Department of Public Safety

Last edited:
Not sure I understand your question... Colorado (and possibly other states) does not recognize a permit issued to a non-resident of a state. The fact that Arizona does not designate a permit as non-resident is not relevant. If your friend gets an Arizona permit, Colorado will not recognize it.

reb55 is correct. Arizona may not distinguish resident/non-resident but states that only allows residents with permits carry in their state will still distinguish.

If you look at this map

Arizona

The AZ permit is good in all of the blue states.
If the holder is an AZ resident, then also add the yellow states.

Last edited by a moderator:
Posting this on 6 different forums won't change the answer... if you don't have a Arizona Driver's License, it's a non-resident permit.

Arizona and Reciprocity

Arizona may not differentiate between resident and non-resident permits, but other states do. Since ccw/cpl is regulated on a state-by-state basis, each state can determine the level of reciprocity it will honor.

It's a mess, and certainly not ideal. Unless a nationwide Constitutional Carry law is enacted, that's what we have to live with, however.

Be thankful you don't live in the People's Republik of Kalifornia, where it's nearly impossible to get a permit in most counties.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back