Arizona Concealed Carry Permit Training Requirement

OC4me

I'm not a resident of Arizona, but would like to get an Arizona concealed carry permit. It would be impractical, however, for me to visit Arizona to just to take a training class.

My question is whether or not Arizona will accept a training certificate from another other state and if so what qualifies.

I'm not a resident of Arizona, but would like to get an Arizona concealed carry permit. It would be impractical, however, for me to visit Arizona to just to take a training class.

My question is whether or not Arizona will accept a training certificate from another other state and if so what qualifies.

Absolutely. You no longer have to take the training within the AZ borders.

hunter safety...NRA...etc.... In fact, if your home state permit required training, THAT will suffice.

AZ 13-3112

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

Why do you want one? AZ is a Constitutional Carry state so no permit is required.

Because the reciprocity you get with it is awesome.

You can attempt to get a waiver for your previous training. That would be a good option to try. I instruct and have a training organization in AZ and if you plan on obtaining a permit from AZ you are required to take the 8hr. class within the state. As for AZ being a constitutional carry state, this is correct however there are few issues written into the law - (these are things you get with the permit)
1. Reciprocity with over 30 other states
2. Bypass the Brady background check
3. Restaurants that serve alcohol
4. School Zones
5. National Parks

If any of these items are important to you then you would be advised to take the class. If they are not, then I would not worry about it and try and obtain a permit from state that doesn't require you to take the class within its borders. I have spoken with AZDPS recently in regard to getting a waiver and it is nearly impossible unless you are current or retired LEO. So good luck...

You can attempt to get a waiver for your previous training. That would be a good option to try. I instruct and have a training organization in AZ and if you plan on obtaining a permit from AZ you are required to take the 8hr. class within the state. As for AZ being a constitutional carry state, this is correct however there are few issues written into the law - (these are things you get with the permit)
1. Reciprocity with over 30 other states
2. Bypass the Brady background check
3. Restaurants that serve alcohol
4. School Zones
5. National Parks

If any of these items are important to you then you would be advised to take the class. If they are not, then I would not worry about it and try and obtain a permit from state that doesn't require you to take the class within its borders. I have spoken with AZDPS recently in regard to getting a waiver and it is nearly impossible unless you are current or retired LEO. So good luck...

AZ no longer requires the training to be done IN state. They will accept any NRA course...any hunter safety course. I received an AZ permit completely thru the mail with a NRA Basic class that I took in PA.

I took the class back in 2000 and my CWP does not expire until 2012 and from I have heard DPS will send me the finger print cards again to resubmit back to the DPS

Can anyone tell me for sure if a non-resident needs to take training that requires live fire?
Some folks with an non-res AZ permit say yes, some say no.

Would like more input from you folks.

Thanks!

Does Arizona issue concealed weapon permits?
Yes, even though Arizona has passed a new “Arizona Constitutional Carry” law that went into effect on July 29, 2010. This law means that as long as you are legally able to own a firearm and is 21 year of age or older, you can carry conconealed in the State of Arizona without a concealed weapon permit. You still must abide by all concealed carry laws and off limit signs.

Even with this new Constitutional Carry law, Arizona still issues Concealed Weapon Permits. Arizona is a Shall Issue State and issues concealed weapon permits to residents of Arizona as well as out-of-state/non-residents. Shall Issue means that the Arizona Department of Public Safety must issue you a permit even after meeting all requirements for an Arizona Handgun Permit. The relevant Arizona statute is here: 13-3112. Concealed weapons; qualification; application; permit to carry; civil penalty; report; applicability

For more info, go to top of page and click on Permits, then U.S. Map comes up and click on Arizona

Can anyone tell me for sure if a non-resident needs to take training that requires live fire?
Some folks with an non-res AZ permit say yes, some say no.

Would like more input from you folks.

Thanks!
Here is what you are looking for. It does not say live fire.
If you have your state permit all you need to do is send in the fingerprint cards with the application and money and wait for it.

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.
Link Removed

Post numbers 3, 5, and 10 have it right. It's now a simple and quick process to obtain an AZ CCW through the mail with any of the alternate forms of documentation.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back