Are LEOs trained in which permits they do and don't honor?

drsmith41

I just moved from Missouri to Kansas and my non resident permit from Maine is not honored in Kansas.

The state of Kansas won't issue me a permit until I have been a resident for 6 six months and frankly, I don't want to wait that long to get the ball rolling on their permit, let alone get it approved. So I have been thinking about getting a non resident Florida permit.

Are there any Kansas residents here carrying on a non resident permit other than Kansas'?

In Missouri it was simple. If you have a permit (regardless of which state) you are good to go. If I am confronted by a Kansas LEO and they see my permit that doesn't say Kansas on it, are they going to hassle me? How do the LEOs know which state's permits they do honor and which they do not? Can they look it up on their laptops during a traffic stop? Or is it one of those things where they take you into custody and you prove in court that you were in fact actually legal?

I do not have a definitive answer, but I am in the same boat. I live in NC and have a UT permit. The UT permit is cleverly designed with a phone number on the back that LEs can call to verify that you are good. Your permit may not have that but it may be possible to contact the state that issued it and get a number you can give a LEO if he questions it's validity.

I am very interested in the subject and I can't keep up with who honors what and where and why. I'd doubt the LEs that are struggling with all they have going have a lot of time for reading up on it. I have not yet had an LE encounter since I don't speed and generally am pretty mellow so I am curious what answers your questions will bring!

That's a good idea about keeping some sort of official phone number with you just in case. I generally lay low too but you never know what might happen to ruin your day when its the last thing you need.

Kansas's concealed carry law was substantially overhauled in 2010. Kansas law no longer has a minimum period of residence before becoming eligible to apply for a concealed carry handgun license. However, Kansas law also prohibits Kansas residents from using another state's license in Kansas, with a very narrow exception for new residents who were licensed in a state whose licenses are honored in Kansas, immediately apply for a Kansas license, and carry a license application receipt with the out-of-state license while carrying a concealed handgun in Kansas while the application for a Kansas license is pending.

Sort of curious if you were a Missouri resident, why you didn't have a MO permit? Would've helped since MO permits are good in Kansas. But that really doesn't answer your question.....

The only way to know for sure on your question is going to be from a Kansas LEO.

It is definetly easier if a state honors all other states permits. But a remember a officer doesn't necessarly have to remember a bunch of different states, probably fairly easy to just keep a small piece of paper with them on which states they honor.

I don't think having a non-Kansas permit in Kansas would be a problem per se, now having a Kansas DL and a permit from another state may raise an eyebrow.

Just looked on Handgunlaw.us and to the KS page and then to KS reciprocity info link. According that page, a KS resident, must have a KS permit to carry.

Looking at the application form on the state's AG page Link Removed it doesn't have anything about waiting 6 months, just that you have to be a resident. Would seem to me if you have been there long enough to get a KS DL, that would be long enough to be a resident?

Lots more info on this page Concealed Carry - Kansas Attorney General

Ok....I have typed a lot and not going to remove it, but looking at the state's FAQ page Link Removed it does say prior to July 1, 2010 an applicant had to be a resident for 6 months. The law has recently changed and it appears whoever you talked to may not know that. You may want to contact the AG's office directly to make sure though.

Kansas's concealed carry law was substantially overhauled in 2010. Kansas law no longer has a minimum period of residence before becoming eligible to apply for a concealed carry handgun license. However, Kansas law also prohibits Kansas residents from using another state's license in Kansas, with a very narrow exception for new residents who were licensed in a state whose licenses are honored in Kansas, immediately apply for a Kansas license, and carry a license application receipt with the out-of-state license while carrying a concealed handgun in Kansas while the application for a Kansas license is pending.

LOL...what he said and posted while I was writing my book.... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back