Ar guys help.

misunderstood

Ok I have some questions for the ar guys. Looking into the sig m400. Sig makes one model called hunter with magpul moe fixings, comes with 20 inch barrel. Do you think with the 20 inch barrel of it is sufficient to hunt whitetail deer? I currently use a 270 win. Do you think a 300 aac would be sufficient? Also if any of you are around east of Raleigh nc and find a sig m400 enhanced fde version in your Walmart or reasonably priced let me know. This is the all tan one.

It is a 300 Blackout made by AAC and yes it is a very adequate deer round. The 20 is fine a 16 will also be ok.

Barrel length is not a huge deal the 16" barrel will be as accurate as a 20". In fact I've shot 400 yards with 16" m4 AR no problem. The longer barrel will give you a little more velocity but it's marginal in my opinion

The 5.56/2.23 in my opinion would be in the weaker side. You can always switch out the upper for 270 or 300 and have the best of both worlds

The 5.56 round was designed to cause severe incapacitating wounds but a slow bleeding death. The idea was if you kill a combatant you remove him from the fight, but if you wound him hes out and at least one more who helps him. A higher grain 5.56 will bring them down, but ive seen a .17 do the trick as well. Wouldnt be my first choice.

As long as your not taking shots over 150 yards get a. 458 socom if you want to knock the **** out of them! Lol

the 300 ACC will be sufficient for shorter range work 300 meters or less, much better choice than a 5.56. The M400 from Sig is a well made entry level AR that can be upgraded as you see fit.

the 5.56 requires a nearly 90 degree angle shot at the ribcage, from less than 150 yds, and it also requires the use of the Nosler 90 gr partition softpoint, so that you achieve adequate penetration. such shots are not hard to achieve. Bowhunters manage such angles all the time, at ranges inside 20 yds. Also, do NOT hit the shoulder, and that's good advice for any round. those bones can deflect any bullet, and the hit often destroys a helluva lot of good meat.

I wouldn't try 5.56 on any deer, but if you must, it would be wise to go with the 75gr. MK232 Mod.0 round, or the civilian equivalent using the match king boat tail hollow point. 1X7 or 8 rifling to stabilize the bullet.

Even then, placement is still critical.

I'd feel really bad injuring an animal and have it suffer a long time, if I lost track. Really bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back