AR-15 pistol .300 Blackout vs water jug.

Stengun

Howdy,

AR-15 .300 Blackout vs water jug:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=UQFbWQa77FU

My .300BLK upper arrived today so I had to test fire it. Since the barrel is only 10.5" I mounted it on an AR pistol lower for now, added a Reddot sight and blasted the jug from 50' with a Remington 120gr OTM round loaded by Barnes for Remington.

Here's a pic of the exit hole:

1427855693_zps5905fefa.jpg

Since its a Match bullet it did NOT expand. Depending on the brand, some Match bullets will expand and some will not. This one by Barnes didn't.

Future plans for the upper is to permanently attach a Form 1 suppressor and build it as a suppressed rifle.

Paul

Future plans for the upper is to permanently attach a Form 1 suppressor and build it as a suppressed rifle.l

Can you elaborate a little bit on how this works from the ATF paperwork perspective? Do you 'just' need to get the paperwork for the suppressor (as for any other suppressor), then attach it permanently to the barrel, and only then assemble the rifle (i.e., attach it to a rifle lower)?

You can't legally own the components required to build a suppressor without the approved ATF paperwork. To the ATF, silencer parts are silencers and sometimes the only difference between a silencer part and just a hardware store part is the intent to build a silencer.

You would fill out your form 1 and after it is approved, build your silencer or silenced barrel.

Howdy bofh,

Can you elaborate a little bit on how this works from the ATF paperwork perspective? Do you 'just' need to get the paperwork for the suppressor (as for any other suppressor), then attach it permanently to the barrel, and only then assemble the rifle (i.e., attach it to a rifle lower)?

A rifle is required to have a barrel length greater than 16" and since my upper only has a 10.5" barrel it is too short to be on a rifle.

To be legally on a rifle the ATF/NFA requires a $200.00 tax stamp BEFORE assembling it as a rifle. It will be considered a SBR or Short Barrelled Rifle and requires a Form 1 to be approved and the $200.00 tax paid before the firearm is assembled.

The ATF allows a person to build a suppressor for their own use with a Form 1 ( ATF paperwork that allows a person to build a SBR or suppressor ) and it too requires a $200.00 tax stamp.

But I can permanently attach the Form 1 suppressor to the barrel and as long as the overall length is greater than 16" I will only need to pay for one tax stamp.

Since the reason for building a .300 Blackout AR-15 is to use it suppressed there isn't any reason to pay another $200.00 for it to be a SBR.

HTH

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back