Anyone still hunt with a S/S

themac

Am I the only one left that likes to hunt birds with a side by side? I grew up using one and love the sight picture on a fast rising bird, but most everyone I see uses and O/U, so why is this?

I hunt exclusively with my sxs's I grew up shooting Winchester mod.24's and still have them. You just cant beat the light weight of a sxs in the field, and my Dad would tell us you can swing on a bird faster because of their sleek barrel alignment.
Where as a o/u had too much wind resistance for swinging into a fast flyer. (he had an answer for a lot of things)

When his buddies would gleam about their pumps and autos having more rounds available, he would state that we never miss. But if a third bird was up and we needed the shot, we would shake the barrels and spread out the pattern from our first or second shot.

I shoot o/u for sporting clays and trap because the guns I use are designed for 10's of thousands of rounds where as the 24's are great but a little more danty increasing the recoil and premature wear of the lighter weight gun.

The 24's were considered the poor mans Winchester mod 23 because it more plain decor and they had the double trigger, I wish my sporters had them because in a instant you can choose full or modified on a chosen target. In sporting clays at least we get to ''see a pair'' first so we can select our choke.

All sxs's don't fit just anyone so be sure to test shoot to be sure you like the fit. Many of the older ones out there have a extremely low comb. Some are damascus barrels and are dangerous to shoot modern loads without unraveling the twisted metal.

Most early pre-80's sxs's (ones that are not marked for steel or have removable chokes) should NEVER shoot steel shot so be sure of what you are doing.

I want a s/s or o/u in the worst way, I just think they look cool. But besides birds (which i dont hunt due to no dog to retrieve them) I don't see much use in them besides a cool addition to the collection.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back