Anyone have feedback on S.O.E. Cobra belts?

s0nspark

Talk is Cheap!!
Seriously thinking of getting one of the S.O.E. Cobra belts... anyone have any feedback?

I've been using either a Wilderness FF 5-stitch or an older Looper Leather belt but am looking for something with the support of the leather belt and the adjustability of the Winderness...

I have one in black on black. The owner is very helpful and had tremendous patience with me in spite of some ordering confusion on my part when I purchased it. The belt is fantastic, but unless you wear tactical pants, don't plan on being able to thread it through any belt loops on a pair of pants. Best way to use it is with a duty (velcro) belt through the belt loops, and the COBRA belt attached to the duty belt with belt-keepers, like Police use for their gear belts.

Correct, and this was the oridering confusion I mentioned earlier. I had the same idea myself, bought the 2" cobra, couldn't use it with Jeans because that cobra buckle is big and fat and doesn't fit through the loops, so I was going to return the belt and swap it for the EDC 1.5", when the owner informed me that they all use the same buckle, which is the real sticking point for use with jeans. If you look at the belts, the velcro that goes through the buckle then presses against the body of the belt to hold the buckle in place and allow adjustment for waist size is long. It covers a good 6-8" of the belt body length, so putting the belt through the pants, then putting thebuckle on doesn't work either because a: that buckle is a bit hard to put on due to the stiffness, and b: you have to be able to lay the velcro retention tongue against the belt length, and that area is covered by 1 or 2 belt loops.

Keep in mind these COBRA belts are meant to carry heavy gear, like a service pistol, a mag pouch for two handgun mags, another pouch for 2 or 4 AR or AK mags, a VOK kit, etc... so typically you wouldn't thread all of that through belt loops anyway, you'd just secure the gear belt to your pants belt via belt keepers (small velcro or snap-held loops that go around both belts and pin them together.)

I love OSOE, and hate to steer you away from them, really, but if you want a good gun belt for EDC that goes with ejans, look into a good, stiff leather gun belt with a more conventional style of buckle, so you can thread the belt through a holster as needed and still go through the belt loops, or get the belt on the jeans, then use paddle or clip type mag pouches and holsters.

This is the sort of belt you may really prefer. Use one with the optional stiffener. You don't need to go with this particular brand, but this style for sure:
A Better Belt USA

Thanks for the info. I expected to have to remove the buckle to thread the belt but wasn't sure what kind of hassle it might present.

well, the problem isn't so much removing the buckle itself or threading the belt without a buckle. It's putting the buckle back on, because after the buckle is situated, you'll have a good half a foot or more of belt left straggling after the buckle that has to be velcroed in place against the belt length, and that will go over the belt loops, and if you're right handed, it'll hit your holster for strong-side carry. It's a bit of a hassle. I'll try to get you a picture of my cobra belt to show you what I mean.

... it'll hit your holster for strong-side carry.

Ah, gotcha. .. Should be a non issue for me because my holster attaches via snap loops - I carry AIWB - and I believe they work with belts even thicker than the ones I currently use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back