Anyone have experience traveling with handguns on the AutoTrain?

jrs

We're considering the AutoTrain for one or both legs of an upcoming trip to Florida. Does anyone have insight into the process?

Since most of your possessions are left in the car, are there reporting requirements? I'm sure they frown on them being brought on as carry-on, loaded or not.

I'd rather have them in my possession, even locked in a case....that way they don't grow legs and walk away. But I'm sure that's not an option.

Any experience/advice would be appreciated. Please... only those with actual experience.... I've already thought of all the knee-jerk responses myself.

Thanks, but I already read the regs. Unfortunately, the AutoTrain does not take "checked baggage". It is a unique service and is only on one route. You take your car, loaded with luggage and any other items you wish to carry, to the station. You turn the vehicle over to Amtrack, who loads it onto a car exactly like the ones they carry new cars on. You then board a passenger car, either coach or private sleeping compartments. You leave Lorton, VA (near Washington DC) at about 4Pm and arrive in Sanford, FL (near Orlando) at about 8AM the following morning, and vice versa. You can take carry-on, but no checked baggage, so I am unsure about firearms declarations. Amtrack's Firearms policy applies to checked baggage.

I'm just concerned that 1. I don't "lose" them along the way if I don't declare them, or 2. violate some unknown interstate transport regulations, or 3. declare them and open up a huge can-o-worms and get more grief and aggravation than just driving both ways.

Since the Auto Train web link, takes you right to the Amtrak website, and you buy tickets from Amtrak, and your car is handled by, wait for it, Amtrak, then I would assume that the Amtrak weapons policy and procedures is going to apply. Try calling them.

The way I read the reg is that modern firearms and factory loaded ammunition are not prohibited. If your train is going to be passing through states like Maryland New York California or other such daycare facilities your firearm may be prohibited. If by air then I don't think California can complain about a 30 round mag that is 35,000 feet above ground flying over, but if it is on their soil that could present a unique problem.

A quick update...I was finally able to reach someone this morning who had a clue. Per Amtrack this morning....Firearms are Prohibited on the AutoTrain....Period!

A quick update...I was finally able to reach someone this morning who had a clue. Per Amtrack this morning....Firearms are Prohibited on the AutoTrain....Period!
Never go by a person, I'll check the regs myself but in your car is in YOUR car.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

the regs say no firearms however if you have the firearms locked inside your car (trunk) there is no inspections. YMMV

Never go by a person, I'll check the regs myself but in your car is in YOUR car.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

In the state of mo- when speaking of any areas that prohibit firearms- such as polling places on Election Day, and etc- they always make the exception- that the firearm is not prohibited if it is in your car and not removed from your car while on premises.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back