Anyone else around here shoot FALs? Pics?

FALacy

Here are two pics of mine. Thinking about changing to some OD furniture and adding a rail to the cover for an optic.

What ya got?

Link Removed

Link Removed

I just bought one from a buddy of mine last week. Trying to get my account on Falfiles.com activated so I can find out what I've got. I think it's a STG58 from what I've read on the Internet, but not 100% sure.Link Removed

This is absolutely beautiful!
I just bought one from a buddy of mine last week. Trying to get my account on Falfiles.com activated so I can find out what I've got. I think it's a STG58 from what I've read on the Internet, but not 100% sure.Link Removed

The guys over there are amazingly helpful in respect to helping ID rifles. I had no idea what I had either until I posted pics over there.

Nice rifle. How does she shoot?

I will be heading back to the US in a few weeks. I have an ACOG waiting for me which will go on my favorite FAL Para built it with a DSA rail upper. I'll try to get a photo of that to post while I'm there. I have other FAL's and I'll try to get some photos of those if I have time.

The guys over there are amazingly helpful in respect to helping ID rifles. I had no idea what I had either until I posted pics over there.

Nice rifle. How does she shoot?

Haven't even put a round through her yet (waiting on UPS), but I should have it this week and I'll be taking her out this weekend and put her through the paces. I've signed up for FALfiles.com but they never authorized my account even though I filled out all their little questions on registration. Not sure what the deal is there.

FAL Files used to be a very busy site - 2,000 to 3,000 people logged on at once was not unusual. I used to spend a lot of time there 10 years ago. Then it started becoming a bit of an ongoing p!$$ing contest between some members and went downhill.
JCR obviously has FAL built from an STG58 parts kit. There should be some markings on the upper which would help me understand more about it. The STG58 is the Austrian FAL version which was one of the better made FAL's. DSA's FAL's are patterned on that rifle as they bought the production machinery from the Austrian armory.

It's a Imbel upper (Brazil) with a Steyr barrel. I was at least able to figure out the barrel from the proof marks(KAL 7.62x39, tulip, 64 date mark) and a few threads on falfiles.com. Serial number on the everything is 84xxx. Within the magwell there's a "2005" stamp in it and on the right side of the rifle there's "91" stamped right behind where the rifle breaks apart. The 91 marking is the one thing I haven't been able to figure out. Here's a pic of the 91 stamp(albeit not a great one)Link Removed.

JCR - one issue you might want to know about : From the wear I can see in the photos and your description that all (major) parts have the same serial number stamped on them I would suppose that your FAL was not built in compliance with 922r. Unless the Hammer, Sear, Trigger, and gas piston were replaced with US made parts and it only has US made magazines (giving a total of 7 US made parts - thus 10 imported parts) I doubt this rifle has the required number of US parts.
It is your choice on how you want to handle this. If you keep proof of this transaction - that you bought the rifle from somebody and did not build it yourself you may use that to prove you didn't build it in its non-compliant state. The law only makes building it illegal - possession or transfer is not. If you are not aware of this issue there are volumes of discussions on-line.
The other point is that because of the above this was obviously built by an individual, not a company. Just a fact and worth whatever value you put into it - or whatever somebody who might was to buy this from you would value it at. Lots of individuals out there have built some rather impressive FAL's. You have one of the best kits - the SA58 - built on one of the best receivers - Imbel "gear logo".
Imbel is one of the few non-FN FAL receiver makers which built receivers from properly heat treated, machined billets - not castings. Built to FN spec. The gear logo is not really any different from any other Imbel without that logo but some people put a small premium on it.

Spartan, thanks for all the info. When I bought the rifle, I was told that it was 922 compliant due to the hammer, sear, trigger, and the piston being US made parts. I'll have a closer look at it this weekend when I clean it after shooting it. As far as what it's worth, does the fact that it's a Steyr barrel on an Imbel receiver make it more desirable or is the Imbel receiver the main selling point? And the 3 mags that came with it are DSA mags.

JCR,

Very good then. Whoever built it was knowledgable and careful.

Since I have built seven metric FALs I need to have magazines in bulk - so I prefer cheap, imported mags. If you only have one FAL then it wouldn't be that big an issue.

With the 4 US made parts in the rifle and 3 in the magazines this would be 922r complaint - as long as you do not use imported magazines.

As far as barrels go your Styer produced barrel is definitely one of the better ones. As I have mentioned the Imbel is one of the better uppers to be found on the US market. You really can't compare one to the other - but as a combination (for a home built rifle) that's about as good as you will find.

Shot the rifle this weekend and she runs good and shoots really nice (so nice I had to leave it with my dad since he insisted he needed it on the farm...).
24 shots at 50 yds on a 12" target.
Link Removed

Im very jealous. This is one of the few rifles that I would love to have. The others are a HK 91 and a Galil. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using USA Carry mobile app

Im very jealous. This is one of the few rifles that I would love to have. The others are a HK 91 and a Galil. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using USA Carry mobile app

I hear ya on the HK91. There are a few out there on GunBroker, but the folks that are selling them know what they've got. Big $$$.

I hear ya on the HK91. There are a few out there on GunBroker, but the folks that are selling them know what they've got. Big $$$.

I know the HK motto is "In a world of compromise some don't" but if you are willing to do some compromise there are some decent builders here in the US that will take a parts kit and a US receiver and build you a HK91 clone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back