Anybody participate in the IDPA matches at Palmetto Gun Club?

gunnerbob

PEW Professional
If so, I'd like to know what it's like, how you like it and if there is anything I should be aware of before I consider getting into it.

Thanks

If so, I'd like to know what it's like, how you like it and if there is anything I should be aware of before I consider getting into it.

Thanks
Are you looking for PGR info specifically or more general IDPA info? I shoot GSSF at PGR every year so I'm familiar with the range as well as knowing several folks who shoot IDPA there. And, I'm a fairly long time IDPA shooter. If it sounds like I may be able to help you out, give me a shout. Always glad to help out the new guy...

Are you looking for PGR info specifically or more general IDPA info? I shoot GSSF at PGR every year so I'm familiar with the range as well as knowing several folks who shoot IDPA there. And, I'm a fairly long time IDPA shooter. If it sounds like I may be able to help you out, give me a shout. Always glad to help out the new guy...

Well, both I suppose. Specifically about PGR and to a lesser extent about IDPA in general. How's the atmosphere, people, camaraderie, range rules, etc? Are there any people who should be steered clear of, anything that somebody should know about?

Well, both I suppose. Specifically about PGR and to a lesser extent about IDPA in general. How's the atmosphere, people, camaraderie, range rules, etc? Are there any people who should be steered clear of, anything that somebody should know about?
First I'd like to correct a mistake of mine that I just noticed. It's Palmetto Gun Club - PGC, not PGR.

It's been my experience that the vast majority of IDPA people are the friendliest and most helpful folks you'll ever meet. Based on the folks that I know who shoot down there I'd have to believe the same holds true for them. And that's a good thing because just like any action shooting match you'll spend several hours standing around shooting the breeze and pasting targets awaiting your turn to shoot for a few minutes.

PGC runs a good range with no outrageous rules put in place. It will be a cold range and as long as you demonstrate safe gun handling skills and respect the 180 rule you won't be "that guy". Really the best thing to do is go to a match and watch, or better yet just go to their mandatory Intro to IDPA class and go from there.

All you need for equipment is your pistol, a strong side carry style holster, minimum three mags, two mag carriers and a jacket/vest/baggy shirt for a cover garment. And boolits. Most matches are less than 100 rounds but I always take at least 150 just to be safe. I can't speak for PGC but up here at MCRC we give a lot of latitude equipment wise for first timers. Let me drop you a few links that should be of at least some use to you.

IDPA rule book (don't get too wrapped up in the rules at the beginning);
Link Removed

PGC IDPA page;
IDPA

PGC IDPA list serve;
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/idpapgc/info

Power Factor's excellent video on IDPA (once again, don't get too wrapped up in specific rules because some have changed since it was made);

Good luck and finally, I want to ask you a question. What kind of gun do you intend to run and what if any mods have been done to it? I only ask to make sure you'll be able to fit into one of the five standard divisions.

First I'd like to correct a mistake of mine that I just noticed. It's Palmetto Gun Club - PGC, not PGR.

It's been my experience that the vast majority of IDPA people are the friendliest and most helpful folks you'll ever meet. Based on the folks that I know who shoot down there I'd have to believe the same holds true for them. And that's a good thing because just like any action shooting match you'll spend several hours standing around shooting the breeze and pasting targets awaiting your turn to shoot for a few minutes.

PGC runs a good range with no outrageous rules put in place. It will be a cold range and as long as you demonstrate safe gun handling skills and respect the 180 rule you won't be "that guy". Really the best thing to do is go to a match and watch, or better yet just go to their mandatory Intro to IDPA class and go from there.

All you need for equipment is your pistol, a strong side carry style holster, minimum three mags, two mag carriers and a jacket/vest/baggy shirt for a cover garment. And boolits. Most matches are less than 100 rounds but I always take at least 150 just to be safe. I can't speak for PGC but up here at MCRC we give a lot of latitude equipment wise for first timers. Let me drop you a few links that should be of at least some use to you.

IDPA rule book (don't get too wrapped up in the rules at the beginning);
Link Removed

PGC IDPA page;
IDPA

PGC IDPA list serve;
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/idpapgc/info

Power Factor's excellent video on IDPA (once again, don't get too wrapped up in specific rules because some have changed since it was made);

Good luck and finally, I want to ask you a question. What kind of gun do you intend to run and what if any mods have been done to it? I only ask to make sure you'll be able to fit into one of the five standard divisions.

I would likely use either my Taurus PT1911 AR .45acp (stock configuration) or my S&W Model 15 .38Spl (only mod is a Hogue grip). I don't use any lasers, lights or special wizz-bangery.

I would likely use either my Taurus PT1911 AR .45acp (stock configuration) or my S&W Model 15 .38Spl (only mod is a Hogue grip). I don't use any lasers, lights or special wizz-bangery.
Which are you more comfortable doing reloads - quickly - with? Keep in mind that if you shoot the revolver you'll need three speed loaders as well as corresponding pouches to carry them on your belt. And if you use the 1911 you'll need a fourth magazine. Three to shoot and one Barney mag. You still only need two mag pouches.

Oh yeah, if the rules are confusing (don't know why I said if - they are confusing) the S&W would put you in Stock Service Revolver and the 1911 would put you in Custom Service Pistol, or Enhanced Service Pistol if you want to start out with an equipment disadvantage.

And here's a thought. If you wanted to drive up to MCRC for a match I'd be more than happy to pull you onto my squad and make sure we teach you all the wrong things. Bonus - at MCRC first timers shoot free and there's no mandatory three hour safety class before shooting a match.

Which are you more comfortable doing reloads - quickly - with? Keep in mind that if you shoot the revolver you'll need three speed loaders as well as corresponding pouches to carry them on your belt. And if you use the 1911 you'll need a fourth magazine. Three to shoot and one Barney mag. You still only need two mag pouches.

Oh yeah, if the rules are confusing (don't know why I said if - they are confusing) the S&W would put you in Stock Service Revolver and the 1911 would put you in Custom Service Pistol, or Enhanced Service Pistol if you want to start out with an equipment disadvantage.

And here's a thought. If you wanted to drive up to MCRC for a match I'd be more than happy to pull you onto my squad and make sure we teach you all the wrong things. Bonus - at MCRC first timers shoot free and there's no mandatory three hour safety class before shooting a match.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the schedule I have coming up (got a lot going on w/ separating, etc) and I'll PM you if I can attend a match that you're participating in.

The only thing I would add is bring your equipment. 10 minutes in you will not want to watch. When they used to shoot IDPA at Aynor both times I brought new shooters in I insisted against their protests they bring equipment they were positive they were not going to need. Both times they realized it was a local match, there was nothing to be afraid of and had a great time. Bring your stuff!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back