Ankle carry gun and holster

tadpolec8

I have been considering buying a gun to start carrying in an ankle holster. I usually carry my G19 in the 5 o'clock position in a Thesis IWB holster. For my job, i have to tuck my shirt, which causes me to print sometimes when I carry on my hip. Based on experience, what is a good gun to carry in an ankle hoster? I thought about a LCR or Shield. Feel free to share your opinions. Thanks.

I am retired and wear what is comfortable for me which is mostly elastic waist athletic style pants. Given that I don't have a belt for WB carry, I do carry my Glock 19 in an ankle holster and it works well like that. I know that it is not ideal to ankle carry but it works for me and is better than having no carry at all. I use the Galco ankle holster with calf strap ... the combination is very comfortable and does not print in the clothes I wear.

Honestly the glock 26 or similar size guns (sub-compact and below) are easiest to ankle carry. Its a little annoying at first to have that extra weight, but after a week or two you won't notice. I carry the glock 27 on on my ankle and I always forget it's there. Hope this helped!

I sometimes carry a Beretta 32acp in an ankle holster. Works well for me and hides nicely with all most of my dress pants too.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

have you ever trained with these ankle holsters? in a shtf situation do you think that you can bring your weapon into the fight?

I have to echo apvbguy's response. An ankle holster is rather ineffective in most critical situations. This is why it is usually carried as a back up only.

Have you considered the 3speed holster? From the reviewers who have it on this forum, it has gotten stellar reviews.

3 Speed Holster

It also seems to make sense in your situation. I'd rather rip my shirt up and get at this then try to squat, lift my pant leg up, hope it doesn't get caught and then retrieve my firearm. YMMV

It's a way to carry when all else fails. IMO it is decent for someone sitting in an office all day; unless you happen to be the poor guy siting right by the door. In that case you may want a method with quicker access.

I have been considering buying a gun to start carrying in an ankle holster. I usually carry my G19 in the 5 o'clock position in a Thesis IWB holster. For my job, i have to tuck my shirt, which causes me to print sometimes when I carry on my hip. Based on experience, what is a good gun to carry in an ankle hoster? I thought about a LCR or Shield. Feel free to share your opinions. Thanks.

I'd switch to appendix carry with something like a 3speed holster.
I strongly dislike ankle carry. If you're grappling with an assailant, it's too easy for them to block you from getting to your gun, and to take it from you and use it against you.
YankeeMarshal has a good video on this on youtube.

When dressing up for weddings, work, etc, I carry an LCP in an ankle holster. Works great. I understand it is not the ideal position in an emergency, but it is better than no gun on your person. Just practice your draw. Im right handed, so I keep the holster on my inside left leg. To draw, I kneel on my right knee, lift my left pant leg and pull the LCP.

A Shield or an LCR would be good sized guns for Ankle carry. I did it for a while with my J-Frame. Just never got comfortable to me. Depending on how you dress for work I doubt IWB is out, but for me personally a G19 is too big/thick for a CC gun that needs to stay concealed. That goes for the G26 as well (I've owned both). A Shield is a good size gun for IWB, Ankle (if you have too) or my fav when I need 100% concealment with almost no chance of exposure, a SmartCarry. Conceals better than ankle MUCH more comfortable (you wouldn't think it, but it is) and the draw is better.

It also seems to make sense in your situation. I'd rather rip my shirt up and get at this then try to squat, lift my pant leg up, hope it doesn't get caught and then retrieve my firearm. YMMV

Best ankle draw I've seen was from a lunge rather than a squat. More stable, so you can shoot right away without worrying about balance.

Definitely a fan of the 3 Speed! :smile: Liked it so much I bought a second.

Also, what about something like the Sneaky Pete? SneakyPete

Heard some good reviews, and the one person I met who used it loves it.

I have carried both a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact and Ruger SR40c in a Desantis Apache ankle rig for entire days without any problems. You could probably get away with the Glock 19 as an ankle carry if you really wanted to (depending on how loose fitting your pant legs are) and you definitely get by with a Glock 26.

I have carried both a Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact and Ruger SR40c in a Desantis Apache ankle rig for entire days without any problems. You could probably get away with the Glock 19 as an ankle carry if you really wanted to (depending on how loose fitting your pant legs are) and you definitely get by with a Glock 26.

I am sure that you've carried it without any problems but would you be able to access it if the need ever presented itself?

I am sure that you've carried it without any problems but would you be able to access it if the need ever presented itself?

I've only done so in situations where other modes of carry weren't available to me and when total concealment was necessary. No I can not present the weapon as quickly as I can from an IWB or OWB carry position but it is certainly faster than getting in my car, driving all the way home, and then opening the safe. Ankle carry isn't the fastest by no means and I've never seen anyone argue that it was but it's an option.

I carried the LCP for some time in an ankle holster, but upgraded to the Sig P938 to keep it 9mm, and it works just as well. No printing in the pant leg and I can carry comfortably all day. I carry two backup mags on the other leg as well.

I carry my Sig P238 on my ankle when i'm on the bike. An ankle holster is not for quick draw applications. It is meant either as a backup or if things go bad you duck and grab. I can reach mine fairly easy while sitting on the bike.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back