Ammo? What's up with that?

walt629

I've stopped at 3 Gander Mountains and I don't know how many Wally Marts to find .22 ammo.

Not a box to be had. Anyone else running into this?

I can understand the venerable .22 being desired to keep up the practice but sheesh!

On the other hand, how many went out and bought a .22 because your EDC is too expensive to 'plink' with? Personally we picked up a P22 to keep in practice with trigger control and just fun plinking. The 9mm and .40 got real expensive in a hurry when Uncle Sam got in the buyers market for ammo.

Here in MN .22LR ammo has been scarce for some time now. It started with all the other popular calibers being bought up. But now it seems to have eased up some. I was able to buy some ammo Thursday.

But with Holder trying to go around the US Constitution by going to SCOTUS to recognize that a treaty with the UN to get rid of our guns could cause another BIG run on ammo again.

You have to be there when the ammo comes out.
I stopped buying .22lr a while back, I still have 1,500 rounds. I have passed up thousands of rounds of .22lr.
Find out when the trucks come, mine are Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday.
You have to be the first or second person in line. At times I would get there at 6:00pm for the ammo to come out at 7:30pm or 8:00pm.
If you really want the ammo you can get it if your willing to commit your time.

I've had good luck recently in Northern Virginia finding ammo--a big change from a few months ago. I picked up a 500-round brick of .22 LR at ****'s Sporting Goods just last week for a very reasonable price. .380 and .40 S&W have been easy to find for the past 60 days or so. Cabellas.com has lots of ammo at good prices, too.

We recently (last Sunday) had a Rural King (warehouse farm store) open with more than a 1000 boxes of .22 LR on the shelf, that was completely gone in 3 hours even with a buying limit of 6 boxes per customer.
~
Our local Walmart doesn't ever seem to have any real inventory of ammunition and when a shipment does come in, it is minimal at best.
~
Some of the LGS will have stocks of 22 LR but even with a limit they are soon out of stock and require time to acquire additional inventory.
~
I've always kept a large stock of 22's so I feel fortunate.

We used up several hundred rounds of .22LR today in class. In my case, 6 in 2.47 seconds for rapid fire drills. Another student using my Kimber 1911 ARF did it in 2.7 seconds. All rounds from both of us were on target.

We have them in the store but they are German made S-K ammo and they aren't cheap. The WWB 555s don't last long when we get them.

I went to a gun show this weekend and there didn't seem to be any shortage there. However I haven't seen any .22, .380, .38, or 9mm in Walmart since February. I've heard if you get there when they're stocking shelves, you can get some, but I'm quite a few miles from it.

Buy online, get online alerts when it's around, use websites that search many sites for you. Don't go out in the cold, let the UPS driver deliver it to your door. Don't be limited by whatever store policy states concerning the number of boxes you can buy.

:smile:

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

It was a little chilly last night, But I think it will be 80º today. Out in the cold its not.
I've looked at the on line shipping prices and its costly.
I can get 100 rounds of .22lr for under $7.00, under $9.00 for some brands.
Generally with .22lr I was walking out with my limit of 3 boxes = 300 rounds for under $21.00.
The Larger boxes have been making a strong showing as of late.
If you have more time than money, invest some time, if not I can completely see where on-line would be a great thing.

Ha! And I just got a brand new Ruger MarkIII yesterday! DIdn't know the .22 was in shortage too, I've been having trouble finding 9mm for my XD until recently, and when I decide to get a 22 for practice, it goes on shortage...I just ordered a box of 325 from bulkammo.com before they are gone. Overpriced but at least that will help me get started...

Oh, an Hello! :)

People are still panic buying, others are hoarding, some are buying to resell. There are many YouTube videos on the subject.

.22 LR is definitely the hardest calibre to find in my area. No shortage of 9mm at WalMart, just not at the price I'm willing to pay. I got several 100 round tins of TulAmmo Brassmax for around $23 the first time I was looking, so that's my personal benchmark. That fires fine, so why pay more? This week one local WalMart has had steel cased TulAmmo for around $10.50 for 50, so I grabbed a few of those. They fire fine, though I've read that steel case is considered dirtier in your gun. At less than half the cost of anything else I can get though, I'll accept dirty.

Every other pistol calibre seems in good supply, but I don't buy them.

UPDATE!! Found the ammo!

Check out these links!

Link Removed

Link Removed

Have about 500 rounds headed my way! Yea!

It took me 5 months before I was able to score 9mm in FMJ at WalMart. .22 was never a problem though.

It's hoarding without doubt. (or buying to resell -- the same as hoarding). Anyone who knows rudimentary economics can understand that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back