Ammo Economics - Is America a Great Country or What?...if you own an ammo factory

Riverkilt

So today I'm in my local Wal-Mart. In a fit of optimism I stop by Sporting Goods and find they have two boxes of .45 left. I bought them both. Ready?....for $19.99 each!!

PPU FMJ 230 grain 50 rounds per box. When I got them home and stacked them with the other PPU FMJ 230 grain boxes of 50 I noticed one of the existing PPU boxes was priced at $29.99 when I bought it and the other was priced at $45.00 when I bought it!

That's more than DOUBLE what I just paid. Don't recall where I bought it but someone cleaned up on me back then.

Then I looked at the other brands I have of .45 FMJ 230 grain 50 round boxes...

Remington - $39.99

American Eagle - $27.50

Blazer - $34.99

Guess that's what we call Capitalism....a free market....trouble is its my wallet the money for the inflated prices is coming out of....

I know, I know...the little guy is just supposed to suck it up so the rich can get richer and somehow their wealth will trickle down...something is worth what people will pay for it. And I did pay for it. Just leaving a sour taste in my mouth...very sour...

I bought 2 boxes o 22lr 550rnds for $22 a box the other day. I felt like a kid again for a few minutes anyway. ;)

The prices are coming down, those that felt gouged (if we can call it that without raising anyone's ire) will stock up so they don't get caught with their skives exposed again. Leaving the shelves bare for just that much longer.
~
This last round of market fluctuations will serve as a lesson to those who didn't feel the need to have a stock of ammunition of their caliber for that rainy day when there wouldn't be any available. To those people welcome aboard and remember a firearm is of little to no use to you without ammunition.

So right. My "problem" was that I didn't get the gun addiction until the ammo was already gone/short....managed to build up a good supply by traveling and buying whatever I could, wherever I could - regardless of price. So I really paid for it. Looking forward to fair prices so I can stock up even more.

I bought 2 boxes o 22lr 550rnds for $22 a box the other day. I felt like a kid again for a few minutes anyway. ;)

Where do you guys find these? The cheapest I saw .22 even before the rush was $34 for 525rd Federal and now I can only find it for $39 and the the crappier remington thunderbolt. Maybe it's just my location, idk.

Where do you guys find these? The cheapest I saw .22 even before the rush was $34 for 525rd Federal and now I can only find it for $39 and the the crappier remington thunderbolt. Maybe it's just my location, idk.

I buy mine from Sportsmans Warehouse in Midvale, Utah. I did have to stand in line to get them but it was worth it. Total after taxes was just under $25 each. Your only supposed to be able to buy 1 but I had my brother with me. :wink:

I buy mine from Sportsmans Warehouse in Midvale, Utah. I did have to stand in line to get them but it was worth it. Total after taxes was just under $25 each. Your only supposed to be able to buy 1 but I had my brother with me. :wink:

Gotta be location then, cause Sportsman's is where I get most on my ammo too. Never seen the mega packs drop below $30. That's too bad =\

Gotta be location then, cause Sportsman's is where I get most on my ammo too. Never seen the mega packs drop below $30. That's too bad =\

I remember going to walmart and paying $14 per box there. Always been in Utah so it must be a location thing. I don't know if it will ever get back down to what it used to be but I do know that the price and availability are getting better.

Shelves around here are still pretty empty. It comes in, and it's gone within hours. Just the over priced .223 150 packs are around for a few days.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back