Alcohol and concealed carry

That's as inane as a Brady buncher saying "how many people have been shot without a gun? Answer: none of them."

Sorry....I just simply fail to see any difference between being in possession and control of an automobile and being in possession and control of a gun. They are both only objects, incapable of doing anything by themselves, and are both dangerous to other people ONLY because of the people operating them.

"Fail" being the operative word in your post. You "fail" to see a lot of things, LT.

Sorry....I just simply fail to see any difference between being in possession and control of an automobile and being in possession and control of a gun. They are both only objects, incapable of doing anything by themselves, and are both dangerous to other people ONLY because of the people operating them.

"Fail" being the operative word in your post. You "fail" to see a lot of things, LT.

And you fail to offer any reasonable argument against my assertion. You are highly successful at posting meaningless drivel.

Yes, there should be penalties( Very Stiff Penalties) for hurting someone or killing them if your drunk and at fault, but not a law against being drunk and carrying or driving or anything else you do drunk.

You think carrying drunk is a good idea. Go here and watch the video: Link Removed Then imagine what would have happened if her husband had to pick her up from the bar that night and had to bring the kids because he couldn't get a babysitter. What would the outcome be? And to think, this is a off duty police officer with specialized training.

As far as you think it's OK to drive drunk. That's just pathetic. Read this one; How would you feel if it was your kids? Link Removed

Thanks jsd....

You are correct on all counts ! The question was one of rule of law and the correct answer is... depends on where you are !
Georgia law makes it illegal to DISCHARGE your weapon under the influence - exception being that you or a third party is
under direct threat of death or extreme bodily harm.
You are correct again in that if there is ANY doubt as to the reason for the incident, the presence of alcohol will most probably change the opinions of the investigating officers and the DA.

So once again... we come back to individual responsibility....
Responsible enough to stay ON TOPIC and responsible enough to make sure that if you draw your gun, you are doing so for the right reasons and that you are in control of your own actions...

That was fun.... can we NOT do it again soon.... :p

I consider firearms and carry as serious business. Maybe a few others should also.

You think carrying drunk is a good idea. Go here and watch the video: Link Removed Then imagine what would have happened if her husband had to pick her up from the bar that night and had to bring the kids because he couldn't get a babysitter. What would the outcome be? And to think, this is a off duty police officer with specialized training.

As far as you think it's OK to drive drunk. That's just pathetic. Read this one; How would you feel if it was your kids? Link Removed

Nice video... are you telling me that the officer got into that condition by having 1 or even 2 glasses of wine with dinner in a restaurant ? I serioulsy doubt it. Folks are constantly jumping to the extreme here. CARRYING DRUNK ! no one (at least I don't see it here - could be my "fail") said it was a good idea to carry falling down drunk. What the law allows, is responsible actions on the part of responsible adults. Getting crap-faced drunk is NOT responsible, but niether is it the result of the mere taste or sight of alcohol as some here appear to suggest.

Yes - carrying is serious business, self-control is also serious business. Using the logic that is being presented here, law-makers can restrict/ban carry for almost any reason that they choose and YOU will suffer the consquences. I have been in MANY a bar where I didn't even have 1 drink - yes... as the designated driver - yet some here would suggest that MY right to carry into/out of the bar should be restricted because of my irresponsible actions. Strange that I can control myself (no the bartender was NOT informed that I was the DD and decline to serve me).

Just a question to the "OMG NO !" folks in here... how do you protect yourself from your own guns in your own home when you decide to have a beer while watching a ballgame ? Should we pass a law that forces you to turn in your weapons prior to popping open the first can ? After all... you DO know the combination to your own safe... what's to stop you from being irrespsonsible ?

Yes - carrying is serious business, self-control is also serious business. Using the logic that is being presented here, law-makers can restrict/ban carry for almost any reason that they choose and YOU will suffer the consquences. I have been in MANY a bar where I didn't even have 1 drink - yes... as the designated driver - yet some here would suggest that MY right to carry into/out of the bar should be restricted because of my irresponsible actions. Strange that I can control myself (no the bartender was NOT informed that I was the DD and decline to serve me).

For example, seems like a gun range is more of a dangerous place to carry a gun than a bar is. Should we prohibit carrying guns at a gun range?

Link Removed

If people don't die, then what? You cannot prevent death and you should not use laws to try to prevent a maybe death. You cannot say he is doing this and some one MIGHT die so lets make it illegal. We would not be allowed to do anything!

I have lost a child, but I didn't try to pass laws againt the cause of his death. More people die from natural causes then anything else. Should we pass a law against that? Should we pass a law against anything that MIGHT cause heart disease,Hell a law against anything that MIGHT kill some one?!!

Death is sad but get over it.

We can outlaw irresponsible behaviors that put others at risk. Drunk driving puts innocent people at risk. There is no benefit to anyone, and need whatsoever, for a person who has been drinking to be driving. None, nada, zip. We have no reason to allow such behavior.

DWI laws punish the irresponsible behavior of the drunken driver. Vehicular manslaughter laws add furnish punishment for the results brought on by that irresponsible behavior.

We don't need to tolerate risky behaviors that risk the lives of innocent people.

@edsworld...Are you an anarchist? I'm not trying to be confrontational. It's a serious question. It seem to me that you have issues with laws in general.

If people don't die, then what? You cannot prevent death and you should not use laws to try to prevent a maybe death. You cannot say he is doing this and some one MIGHT die so lets make it illegal. We would not be allowed to do anything!

I have lost a child, but I didn't try to pass laws againt the cause of his death. More people die from natural causes then anything else. Should we pass a law against that? Should we pass a law against anything that MIGHT cause heart disease,Hell a law against anything that MIGHT kill some one?!!

Death is sad but get over it.

The way you talk there should not be any laws. Just punishment for those who severely hurt or kill somebody. Laws are there to prevent that. Like it or not, there are laws that we have to abide and consequences to pay if we break those laws. If a drunk driver or someone drunk with a handgun hurt or killed one of my loved ones, there would be hell to pay.

We can outlaw irresponsible behaviors that put others at risk. Drunk driving puts innocent people at risk. There is no benefit to anyone, and need whatsoever, for a person who has been drinking to be driving. None, nada, zip. We have no reason to allow such behavior.

DWI laws punish the irresponsible behavior of the drunken driver. Vehicular manslaughter laws add furnish punishment for the results brought on by that irresponsible behavior.

We don't need to tolerate risky behaviors that risk the lives of innocent people.

Then you better start writing a lot more laws because there are a lot more irresponsible behaviors.

The way you talk there should not be any laws. Just punishment for those who severely hurt or kill somebody. Laws are there to prevent that. Like it or not, there are laws that we have to abide and consequences to pay if we break those laws. If a drunk driver or someone drunk with a handgun hurt or killed one of my loved ones, there would be hell to pay.

Fast food restaurants kill more Americans than firearms do by selling high saturated fat fried food. So, by your reasoning, the government should pass a law to ban Big Macs to protect Americans from the danger to life and health that Big Macs are.

I have no problems with a law that prohibits the OPERATION of a motor vehicle while intoxicated. I have no problem with a law that prohibts the OPERATION of a firearm while intoxicated.

I would have a huge problem with a law that prohibited the possession of car keys in my pocket or a vehicle in a parking lot or driveway while intoxicated, and I have a huge problem with a law prohibiting the possession of a firearm in my holster while intoxicated. The drunk is 100's of times more likely to kill someone with the car keys in his pocket than with a firearm in a holster, and yet, once again, no one is advocating making car keys illegal to possess while intoxicated.

Fast food restaurants kill more Americans than firearms do by selling high saturated fat fried food. So, by your reasoning, the government should pass a law to ban Big Macs to protect Americans from the danger to life and health that Big Macs are.

I have no problems with a law that prohibits the OPERATION of a motor vehicle while intoxicated. I have no problem with a law that prohibts the OPERATION of a firearm while intoxicated.

I would have a huge problem with a law that prohibited the possession of car keys in my pocket or a vehicle in a parking lot or driveway while intoxicated, and I have a huge problem with a law prohibiting the possession of a firearm in my holster while intoxicated. The drunk is 100's of times more likely to kill someone with the car keys in his pocket than with a firearm in a holster, and yet, once again, no one is advocating making car keys illegal to possess while intoxicated.

There's a difference between having a drink with dinner and being plain stupid drunk, so you think whatever you want.

I had to disarm some idiot one time at a party because he chose to pull his loaded 9mm out and waive it around pointing it at people with his finger on the trigger. It's not easy to safely disarm a drunk with a lot of people around and certainly not fun. I'm not going to let anyone around me handle a deadly weapon in a stupid drunk condition like that. That includes a automobile or a gun. He did not get his gun back from me. I gave it to the person that was sober enough to drive his sorry butt home (unloaded of coarse). IMHO carrying while drunk is a dumb thing to do.

There's a difference between having a drink with dinner and being plain stupid drunk, so you think whatever you want.

I had to disarm some idiot one time at a party because he chose to pull his loaded 9mm out and waive it around pointing it at people with his finger on the trigger. It's not easy to safely disarm a drunk with a lot of people around and certainly not fun. I'm not going to let anyone around me handle a deadly weapon in a stupid drunk condition like that. That includes a automobile or a gun. He did not get his gun back from me. I gave it to the person that was sober enough to drive his sorry butt home (unloaded of coarse). IMHO carrying while drunk is a dumb thing to do.

And I agree with 100% of what you have said in that paragraph. And I'll bet Edsworld would too.

And I agree with 100% of what you have said in that paragraph. And I'll bet Edsworld would too.

Exactly so... !!!
gave it to the person that was sober enough to drive his sorry butt home
or the person that was responsible enough to NOT be falling down drunk !!!

Then you better start writing a lot more laws because there are a lot more irresponsible behaviors.

And we may well do so. But it is not an all or none requirement. The "but you don't make poking yourself in the eye with a pencil illegal, so you can't make drunken driving illegal" argument is adolescent and irrational.

In New York it is a felony if caught DWI with children in the car. I have no sympathy for idiots who drink and drive.

Lot of Comparisions between drunks and gun toters in bars:

Here is something to think about.

Let's license bartenders & require that they have a bond/insurance policy for overserving someone to get a greater tip/commision. Let's say said person leaves the bar and gets killed for walking or driving off a cliff or into a body of water.
What criminal/civic charges could be brought against the baretender? Hmmmmmm........... How many people have gotten DUI's because of unscupuplous bartenders? Lot's of comparisions going on in this thread. Note: Canada requires bartenders to be licensed. and I agree we should to and not license that which is a right.

Just some thoughts

Lot of Comparisions between drunks and gun toters in bars:

Here is something to think about.

Let's license bartenders & require that they have a bond/insurance policy for overserving someone to get a greater tip/commision. Let's say said person leaves the bar and gets killed for walking or driving off a cliff or into a body of water.
What criminal/civic charges could be brought against the baretender? Hmmmmmm........... How many people have gotten DUI's because of unscupuplous bartenders? Lot's of comparisions going on in this thread. Note: Canada requires bartenders to be licensed. and I agree we should to and not license that which is a right.

Just some thoughts

Dram Shop laws in the US make those who serve alcohol to an inebriated person responsible for damages caused by that person.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back