Alabama CCL but having to travel to OHIO

theohiostate77

I have a Alabama CCL and i am having to go to Ohio for a few months for work. I know Ohio does not honor Alabama CCL. How can i legally transport my firearm to my hotel room I want to keep it with me in my hotel. Any info would greatly be appreciated.

This will get you started. Not sure where Ohio posts its actual laws:

"It is unlawful for a person without a concealed handgun license to carry a handgun concealed on his or her person. Exempt from this prohibition are officers, agents, and employees of a state agency or the federal government or law enforcement officers authorized and acting in the scope of their employment. State law does
not prohibit the open carrying of firearms except in certain locations, but a person should exercise caution when carrying a firearm in public."

Link Removed

I appreciate all of the information. Thanks so much for your help.

TN and KY honor the Alabama permit, so no issues traveling through there. In Ohio, not only the gun must be unloaded, but the ammo must be unloaded from the magazines as well, while in the vehicle. You can then either put the gun in a closed case or in the trunk of the car. When you get to Ohio, I would do what I did when flying, if you don't have a pistol case, get a $5.00 case, put the gun in the case, an empty magazine or two in there, and a box of 20 rounds of SD ammo in there.

Once you get out of the vehicle, you can load the gun up and keep it at the ready so long as you don't conceal it on your person.

Lawriter - ORC - 2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

This is what you have to watch out for:
(5)”Unloaded” means any of the following:

(a) No ammunition is in the firearm in question, and no ammunition is loaded into a magazine or speed loader that may be used with the firearm in question and that is located anywhere within the vehicle in question, without regard to where ammunition otherwise is located within the vehicle in question. For the purposes of division (K)(5)(a) of this section, ammunition held in stripper-clips or in en-bloc clips is not considered ammunition that is loaded into a magazine or speed loader.

NavyLT You Can Open Carry In Ohio without License?

Thanks for your information. So you can open carry in Ohio without any type of license??

Thanks for your information. So you can open carry in Ohio without any type of license??

Yes. (Outside a vehicle)

Link Removed

Ohio

Summary
Ohio is a traditional open carry state. Recently, the Ohio legislature passed HB-12 over Governor Taft's veto, thus preempting all local open carry bans even in Ohio's "home rule" localities. Unfortunately, despite passage of HB-12, a permit to conceal is still required to openly carry a handgun in a vehicle.

There is more info on the link and in the Ohio section of opencarry.org

Recently discover that Arizona is a new option for non-residents. Has almost exactly the same reciprocity map as FL...including OH.

Nice. At a quick glance it looks like FL and AZ are pretty even:

PERMIT LENGTH YEARS: FL = 7, AZ = 5
PERMIT COST: AZ = $60, FL = $75 + $42 fingerprint fee. You can get prints for $5, but you have to do it in FL (not feasible for most of us)
STATES COVERED: FL gives you two more state (AZ and WA), whereas AZ does not cover FL or WA. Since I carry a resident SC (which covers FL), FL has no advantage for state coverage except adding WA.
TRAINING REQUIRED: FL requires a training certificate. I did not see anywhere in the law where I could just submit a copy of my CWP. AZ, as shown below, accepts all sorts of training, including a DD214.
PRINTS REQUIRED: Both require fingerprints. FL says that you must use their FP cards. They will mail them to you free. But their cards are no different than standard cards. If your fingerprinting facility can print on your card, you use a regular card as long as they add the correct FL information. I have a copy of that at the office and will post in another thread on Monday. AZ also need FP cards. So they are even there.

For training requirements, speed of issue, and cost, AZ seems the much better deal. For length of permit and state coverage, FL has an advantage. Fingerprinting requirements are the same, EXCEPT for the huge $42 fee. I went with FL, but AZ is a great deal.

AZ law showing that they will accept a current/expired CWP from another state or a DD214 counts for training, no matter how old it is.

SUBSECTION N: Link Removed

N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.

I received the AZ app packet yesterday...2 days after requesting it. Simple 1 page (2 sided) application, They send 2 print cards. Their info is printed on them as well and you must submit both. But FL "requires" the prints be done by LEO...AZ has no such requirement.

I know someone is going to bring it up it so I'll mention it now. At one point AZ DID required the necessary training be done INSIDE the borders of AZ. That changed as of July 29, 2010 when the Constitutional Carry bill took effect.

I mailed in my AZ application last week.

If I may....how did you fold the application?

The envelope is just the right size for the print cards...8 1/8" x 8 1/8"....but it would take a little "fancy" folding to get the app itself in there being 8 1/2" x 11". Looks like there is enough room in the margins to where one could trim the app down on the sides and then fold it in half....?

I received the AZ app packet yesterday...2 days after requesting it. Simple 1 page (2 sided) application, They send 2 print cards. Their info is printed on them as well and you must submit both. But FL "requires" the prints be done by LEO...AZ has no such requirement.

Just curious, where else would you get prints done, and why is that important? In SC they're $5 at the local sherriff's office.

Just curious, where else would you get prints done, and why is that important? In SC they're $5 at the local sherriff's office.

I went to my local state police barracks in Oct for my CT license printing...and they turned me away saying they dont print for out of state permits. My local PD only does it Tue and Wed 12-2...not real convenient.

I work at a multi tenant facility and one of the tenants print there pre-hires...so i can get it done there. When I needed them done for FL, folks gave me several non-leo options...I've heard that some UPS stores can do it...but I dont remember those options now...

I went to my local state police barracks in Oct for my CT license printing...and they turned me away saying they dont print for out of state permits. My local PD only does it Tue and Wed 12-2...not real convenient.

I work at a multi tenant facility and one of the tenants print there pre-hires...so i can get it done there. When I needed them done for FL, folks gave me several non-leo options...I've heard that some UPS stores can do it...but I dont remember those options now...

Wow! Here in the Sultry South we just show up, pay our $5, and get our prints. They politely ask, "Would you like me to put an address on those cards, and would you like an extra copy?"

Another option, although risky.. is dont worry about it... You have a CCL, and I have NEVER heard of any officers checking to see if their state has reciprocity agreements with another..... I am a truck driver and have interacted with multiple different state's officers, and always identified myself as having a lisc, and currently armed, not a single one ever even asked for the CCL!! or asked what state it was from.

If I may....how did you fold the application?
The fingerprint tech decided she had to seal the cards in the envelope and sign across the scotch tape sealed flap. I hadn't yet gone to the bank for the cashiers check, so I got a full size envelope and mailed it all inside of that.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back