Ak 47 magazine issue

XD40FAN

I have a wasr 10 hard chromed I picked up from classic arms. Shot it for the first time today. There seems to be about an eighth or sixteenth of an in play between the mag and the release. If I place my hand on the the front of the mag and pull back while firing no issues or jambs. However if I let it hang and hold onto the front grip it jambs? Side to side no movement in the magazine the movement is in the front to back. Any help would be great!

Its because its a WASR with low tolerances. It will probably do that with any mag. It might fix it by switching out mags, but i doubt it. Wasrs are cheap for a reason. If you put an extra$ 100 toward getting a Bulgarian AK you probably wouldn't have that problem Wasrs were made to take a 10 round mag from the factory. When they get to the US the importer essentially takes a dremel to the magwell till a 30 rounder fits.

Mag wobble is pretty much a universal issue with AKs. You'd be hard-pressed to find one that doesn't wobble. Sounds like your case is a bit extreme. Most of these issues are caused by ill-fitting American made receivers. If you're lucky it might just be a problem with the mag's catch and a different mag will do the trick. If you're not lucky you'll be having to use the mag as a foregrip like you did at the range. This is why I would never purchase an AK without handling it and giving it a thorough inspection. You might want to try an American made plastic mag from Tapco or Arsenal/Saiga. They're almost always a bit too large to fit in the mag well and require some dremel work to make them fit. They might be just right for your AK.

Good luck with it.

I have a wasr 10 hard chromed I picked up from classic arms. Shot it for the first time today. There seems to be about an eighth or sixteenth of an in play between the mag and the release. If I place my hand on the the front of the mag and pull back while firing no issues or jambs. However if I let it hang and hold onto the front grip it jambs? Side to side no movement in the magazine the movement is in the front to back. Any help would be great!
My guess is when Classic Arms did the reworking of your Mag Well they did a very poor job. I would return the rifle to them for one that is correct.

Mag wobble is pretty much a universal issue with AKs. You'd be hard-pressed to find one that doesn't wobble. Sounds like your case is a bit extreme. Most of these issues are caused by ill-fitting American made receivers. If you're lucky it might just be a problem with the mag's catch and a different mag will do the trick. If you're not lucky you'll be having to use the mag as a foregrip like you did at the range. This is why I would never purchase an AK without handling it and giving it a thorough inspection. You might want to try an American made plastic mag from Tapco or Arsenal/Saiga. They're almost always a bit too large to fit in the mag well and require some dremel work to make them fit. They might be just right for your AK.

Good luck with it.
I have three Arsenals And a Hungarian AMD-65 they all have really good fitting Mag wells.

I have three Arsenals And a Hungarian AMD-65 they all have really good fitting Mag wells.

I have 4 Tapco mags and 2 Arsenal waffle mags. None of them would fit in any of my 5 AKs (2 Romys, 2 Norincos, and a Yugo with an American receiver). Many other AK owners have had similar problems from what I've read on various forums. After the Dremel treatment they actually became my tightest fitting mags with little or no wobble. I've never experienced anything as bad as the OP has but a slightly oversized plastic mag might be the ticket for him.

The question had nothing to do with price and I know what I got for my money a hard chromed wasr-10 for 499.99 don't care which is better its a flashy trash gun. My stag ar is for the more serious shooting.

You did the right first step, buying more magizines. As said, Tapco mags are great b/c you can file them down if need be to fit properly. If that doesn't work, keep tryng mags... maybe some other surplus metal mags will work.

This is interesting, I own two Century Arms AKs and they both fit a variety of magizines with no issues with functioning. Some may have more play than others but not to the point of malfunctions. If the magizine swaps don't fix it, can you send it back? Perhaps a local gunsmith can look at it?

Tapco polymer 30 round mag came in tonight tried it a little less play but still enough for concern. Taking tomorrow to a gunsmith here in town. I think a slightly longer magazine release at the top of the release would fix it.

You did the right first step, buying more magizines. As said, Tapco mags are great b/c you can file them down if need be to fit properly. If that doesn't work, keep tryng mags... maybe some other surplus metal mags will work.

This is interesting, I own two Century Arms AKs and they both fit a variety of magizines with no issues with functioning. Some may have more play than others but not to the point of malfunctions. If the magizine swaps don't fix it, can you send it back? Perhaps a local gunsmith can look at it?

IMHO the best AK polymer Mags are the circle ((10))s Now the metal ComBloc Mags are always a wise choice.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back