age limits on ccw

~OtisM~

Banned
Anyone think there should be age limits on ccw license or more scrutiny as u get older? From another thread but I would love to hear a discussion. Based mainly on the confusion I see in this video. This will probably make a lot of u mad, but just asking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFW3bwXIcWc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Anyone think there should be age limits on ccw license or more scrutiny as u get older? From another thread but I would love to hear a discussion. Based mainly on the confusion I see in this video. This will probably make a lot of u mad, but just asking.

Why? Is it because the older gentleman didn't react like some cop on a prime time TV show?

The only thing I seen here that might be a problem is the fact that he kept shooting after the dirtbags started to run away. My opinion on this point is probably due to the fact that I do not live in a "Stand Your Ground" state.

Overall, I think the old guy did fine. The only confusion here is my own. I'm confused as to why jackwagon trolls who lack both the knowledge and credibility to discuss this subject insist upon posting things like this here.

It doesn't make me mad either. It only confirms my beliefs about the person who posted it.

I'm 31. If people raise Hell about old people driving, I just wonder why not about ccw. Hope we can discuss unlike the previous poster.

He seemed pretty confused throughout and especially at the end. Just an observation. I of course cannot relate cause I have never been in that situation. But I can still observe just like the rest of you.

Not sure why people use word troll so much here but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

OtisM I'm 60 and I'll meet you at one of the ranges I belong to and we'll see if I can still shoot. Regarding the gentleman in the video clip, he didn't hit any bystanders and did run the bad guys off. As he said in other reportings he was in fear of his and his wife's life. Whatever caliber he's using must be inefficient because they got back up and kept running but you can't say ineffective because they did leave. In my state he might have a problem with not stopping when they started running, but there's other video that shows the bad guys still shooting after they ran outside so maybe not. Kansas has a "stand your ground" statute but it also says if either party wants to stop the fight is over and some lawyer might say running away is that. Either way as the cliche goes it's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Absolutly not.

Surveillance - Elderly Man Shoots Robbers at Internet Cafe in Florida - YouTube

The elderly are one of the prime targets of muggers and gang bangers. Having a weapon helps to level the playing field. While I don't consider myself elderly I don't have the strength, speed or agility of my youth. I'm 60 with a CCW and proud of it.

I'm 31. If people raise Hell about old people driving, I just wonder why not about ccw. Hope we can discuss unlike the previous poster.

He seemed pretty confused throughout and especially at the end. Just an observation. I of course cannot relate cause I have never been in that situation. But I can still observe just like the rest of you.

Not sure why people use word troll so much here but I'm sure someone will enlighten me.

I stand by my statement that you are a troll that lacks the knowledge and credibility to question the man's actions. Your previous posts in other threads prove that. You have an agenda and no genuine interest in learning anything. Anyone in that situation would pretty much act that way.

Consider yourself "enlightened".

That man did what he has to do. Regardless of age. I would have done the same thing. My grandfather had his CCW till he passed away in march. He was 86 years old. He shot twice a month with me and my uncles. He was a retired police Sargent. He had numerous marksmanship awards from the police and military.

if someone doesn't agree with you than you are a troll i guess ..
now to your question ..
as you get older you have slower reflex's and your brain slows down .. you notice how we sometimes pause before we speak .. we are not deaf, just processing ..
i am 70yrs young .. i have no doubt that i am one of those old guys who drives the speed limit or a little less .. "slower reflex's" .. i am old not stupid! ..

as far as the guy in the video, i think he should have stopped as soon as they started running IMO .. but, i bet his adrenalin was peaking .. and he was not processing clearly or fast enough .. that being said i shoot USPSA & CQB matches .. i do it for fun and to stay in practice in case the SHTF .. i am definitely slower than the younger folks .. should we have guns or at least be scrutinized a little more .. YES .. some of us really shouldn't have a drivers license let alone carry a gun .. when i start messing up bad enough to be a danger to others i hope the hell someone will let me know if i don't realize it myself ..

SB

if someone doesn't agree with you than you are a troll i guess ..
now to your question ..
as you get older you have slower reflex's and your brain slows down .. you notice how we sometimes pause before we speak .. we are not deaf, just processing ..
i am 70yrs young .. i have no doubt that i am one of those old guys who drives the speed limit or a little less .. "slower reflex's" .. i am old not stupid! ..

as far as the guy in the video, i think he should have stopped as soon as they started running IMO .. but, i bet his adrenalin was peaking .. and he was not processing clearly or fast enough .. that being said i shoot USPSA & CQB matches .. i do it for fun and to stay in practice in case the SHTF .. i am definitely slower than the younger folks .. should we have guns or at least be scrutinized a little more .. YES .. some of us really shouldn't have a drivers license let alone carry a gun .. when i start messing up bad enough to be a danger to others i hope the hell someone will let me know if i don't realize it myself ..

SB

With all due respect... If you are here often enough, you know who they are. Don't take my word for it, query his posts and you will see what I mean. It's not about disagreement.

Actually, I fail to see the similarity between a driver's license and a permit to carry. If you can't drive, you will cause an accident possibly, and in some cases, causing injury or death to others. With a firearm, one's own deteriorating skills will tend to be more of a danger to themselves. I'm not 70, but I am definitely not 25 either. Of course, if one is the victim of dementia or some other mental issue, that changes things. Other than that, my thinking is that the older one gets, the better reason to acquire the permits.

What I think a lot of folks are failing to process is that as long as those two thugs remained armed within that establishment they continued to be an imminent threat. The elderly gentleman stopped at the door when it was CLEARLY apparent that the thugs were fleeing from the establishment and the threat was no longer imminent.

As to age, as long as an individual maintains the physical and mental acuity to handle daily life I see no reason to question their right to armed self defense.

I don't see that he was the one that was confused anyway! He was the only one prepared, and the only one to take action. There was another younger guy next to him at the end that looked prepared to help, although unarmed.

When he was done, he turned his pistol sideways to check that it was completely in battery (prior to securing). I do that too. I am 47, and speaking as someone who has had to defend myself, the aftermath can be a confusing time for anyone.

While he was taking action, he didn't look confused to me. He looked like he was on a mission.

Watch enough of those clips and you'll realize that the same scene plays out reguardless of the age group.
Practicing is the only thing that controls these actions. You must have a mind set in place that tells you to stop shooting when the person turns to run.
There are plenty of incidents where police are as guilty as any. Adrenalin rush.

I think Otis has a good point although I believe the issue is already covered with the whole mental competency thing when it comes to possessing a gun, and that applies regardless of age. The state or the fed can already disqualify someone because of mental issues. I don't see a need for additional testing aimed specifically at seniors although I understand the concept. I'd rather leave it to family members (and possibly friends) to initiate the process of "disarming" (for lack of a better word) an elderly person who might be a danger to themselves or others due to mental issues. My mother is 83 and is sharp as a tack while my father (RIP) was pretty much mentally incompetent by age 72. If there had been a gun in the house at the time, we (my mother, siblings, and I) would have made sure my father didn't have access to it.

On a side note, the idea of additional testing for the elderly with regards to DLs enjoys quite a bit of support amongst the senior citizen community here in FL.

Only confusion i saw was the thugs trying to get out the door. My dad is taking his recertification next month and he is 83.

I am pretty sure that even seniors have a right to defend themselves and that the 2nd amendment applies to all citizens. Not sure why anybody would question this. This gentleman in this film handled the situation very well. I think it is a pretty dangerous practice to start putting conditions on who can and who cannot excercise their rights. Isnt that how we have got into the mess we are in now concerning the carrying of firearms?

I have a hard time understanding why anybody would compare a right (2nd amendment) to a privilege (drivers license). They do not relate and have absolutely no bearing on the original question.

I'm sure after the rush of adrenalin slowed down he might have seemed a little confused, AFTER the event was over. Heck I've felt that way after an auto accident.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back