Adjusting Sights

Retdeltee

Greetings,
I've been an LEO Armorer & Firearms Instructor since the '80's and had to give it up in 2000 upon retirement.
I had always tried to get the troops to shoot their weapon out of the box, by adjusting their grip, stance, trigger press, etc.
When all else failed, I resorted to sight adjustment, which generally helped the Officer.
I'm living in another city now and my Wife is on the job. She is one of these people that needs sight adjustment on her Glock. A little drift on rear with a sight adjestment rig and a lower front sight would help her out. Sure did on her personal carry firearm. BUT, the range officials won't hear of it on her duty weapon, impling that "you may have to shoot someone else's firearm someday!" OK, so why do they fine tune the patrol rifle to each Officer?
Methinks there's some old school thinking leftover from the J Edgar era.
Any comments???
Thanks!

Greetings,
I've been an LEO Armorer & Firearms Instructor since the '80's and had to give it up in 2000 upon retirement.
I had always tried to get the troops to shoot their weapon out of the box, by adjusting their grip, stance, trigger press, etc.
When all else failed, I resorted to sight adjustment, which generally helped the Officer.
I'm living in another city now and my Wife is on the job. She is one of these people that needs sight adjustment on her Glock. A little drift on rear with a sight adjestment rig and a lower front sight would help her out. Sure did on her personal carry firearm. BUT, the range officials won't hear of it on her duty weapon, impling that "you may have to shoot someone else's firearm someday!" OK, so why do they fine tune the patrol rifle to each Officer?
Methinks there's some old school thinking leftover from the J Edgar era.
Any comments???
Thanks!

That just sounds like a crazy policy. Your handgun is most likely the first weapon you will use to defend yourself so why not do whatever it takes within reason to make it accurate.

I apologize if I am missing something obvious here. How is the range officer going to know the rear sight was adjusted, unless the change is significant?
Do not the newer (Gen 4) Glocks come with different size backstraps?
Does everyone in the department have to use the same grip size regardless of the hand size.
I understand that there is some validity to argument for everyone having the same gun. In an emergency one does not have to fumble around to find the safety or magazine release. In a gun fight the idea is to get the rounds in the center of mass, not to have a 1" group at the 3rd button. Grabbing a gun with sights a little different is not going to make much difference at the typical gun fight distance.

If she shoots a majority of handguns off in the same direction (say low and right) then the problem is hers and she should work to correct it. If the majority of people shoot the same particular handgun off in the in same direction (say high and left), then the problem is the gun and the gun should be corrected.

If she is having issues with accurately shooting a particular gun then she should be allowed to swap the same make/model guns with someone else at the range and see if the problem follows the shooter or the gun.

What's the goal here? I can understand adjusting the rear sight, if it is actually off. Putting in a lower front sight suggests that this is an operator problem.

I can certainly understand if one wants to replace the handgun sight system and go with a different setup, such as switching the front sight out from a round white dot to an orange square or going with XS sights. What I can not understand is purposely screwing up a handgun sight system by putting in a lower front sight. :no:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back