across boarders

joehUSMC

We are planning a trip to Niagara Falls which will include crossing the Canadian boarder. Does anyone know what the rules are for carrying handgun into Canada?

Thank you
Joe

Below is the link to the RCMP site regarding firearm possession in Canada.

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

We live not too far from the border and travel to Canada frequently through both Buffalo and Niagara Falls. It's just simpler to leave our firearms home. Not only is the wait on the bridge(s) long enough, but the added BS of bringing a firearm will add substantial time to your crossing. Plus, for us, our everyday concealed carry pistols do not meet Canadian requirements because the barrels are too short. Even a S&W 38 spl J-frame is too short. I guess you need a full sized cannon, because the Canadian thinking is that a short barrel is too easy to conceal. Duh!

Finally, are you from NY State with handgun permit? If not, I suggest you leave them home. Even though you may have them secured in compliance with FOPA, that doesn't mean that you won't run into trouble with Emperor Coumo's anti-gun gestapo. You can be in complete compliance with FOPA, but they will still detain you and it may still add plenty of grief and aggravation to your trip.

Enjoy your trip to NF. There's lots to see and do.... Maid of the Mist (by boat to the bottom of the falls), Whirlpool Jet Boat (jetboat ride through the huge rapids in the lower Niagara River) and prepare to get wet!, Niagara on the lake (quaint village at the mouth of the Niagara river at Lake Ontario) with lots of restaurants and shops, tunnels beneath/behind the Canadian horseshoe falls, Helicopter tours, etc, etc, etc. Make sure you leave plenty of time, as lines tend to be long, depending on the time of year.

I did it once... On our way to Wisconsin. Stayed a night in Chicago too. I got away with it. I wouldn't do it again and wouldn't suggest it. Canada will give you more than a couple years if they catch you.

Sent from my SM-N900V using USA Carry mobile app

You cannot carry a pistol into Canada. That is a big no and if caught you will be there longer than you were planning. Long guns and shot guns a different.

Taking Guns Into Canada – Information for US citizens taking guns into or through Canada

Maybe this site will help.

Robert

Actually, you can take handguns into Canada, but they are restricted. Pistols with barrel length of 4" or more are OK, but .25 or .32 cal are prohibited regardless of barrel length.
There are also restrictions on certain long guns and shotguns regarding barrel lengths, capacity, modifications, etc.
Your link explains this as well.

Quite honestly, as one who lives near the border and has property there, it is possible to take a handguns or other weapons into Canada, but the hassle just isn't worth it!

jrs

Thank you for the information. I have our local Wisconsin permit and Utah but did not know what the rules were for Canada. Part of our trip includes going through some high crime rate cities and thought it would be nice to carry in those areas? I will just have to drive quick. Thanks again for the answer.

Joe

If you want to avoid Detroit (I'm assuming you're planning on crossing at Detroit/Windsor), there's a ferry from Sandusky to Pelee Island and on to Leamington, Onto and Point Pelee National Park. From there, you can head east toward the Niagara Peninsula and Niagara Falls. We did a trip "around" Lake Erie on our motorcycles and took Hwy 3 in Canada, which runs along the northern shores of Lake Erie. We decided to take the ferry since we had our teenage daughter on her own bike, and after finding out the Windsor bridge leads you into not so safe neighborhoods of Detroit, we thought better of it. There's plenty to do in Sandusky with Cedar Point, etc, while Point Pelee Park is a beautiful spot. If you want to stop along the way, that's an option, if not, at least it will keep you out of Detroit. Have fun.

jrs

Thank you for the information. You're right we wanted to avoid Detroit and planned to cross at Port Huron. I did not know there were two crossings if we can avoid Detroit I will take your suggestion and cross at Windsor thank you for the information it all helps. We will have our 4 year old grandson with us and our suggestions sound like a something to do with him. Thanks again.

Joe

jrs

Thank you for the information. You're right we wanted to avoid Detroit and planned to cross at Port Huron. I did not know there were two crossings if we can avoid Detroit I will take your suggestion and cross at Windsor thank you for the information it all helps. We will have our 4 year old grandson with us and our suggestions sound like a something to do with him. Thanks again.

Joe

Unless I'm mistaken, I thought the route through Windsor takes you over the bridge right into the heart of Detroit. That's why we didn't go that way. I also forgot to mention that guns are prohibited in NY State Parks (except during hunting season where applicable), which pretty much would eliminate viewing of the Falls and rapids from Goat Island on the US side of the border.

Hope this helps & have fun.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back