A question of choosing which grain bullet to load

e_v_h

So I'm a young guy just starting out and I recently purchased a S&W Sigma 40VE. This is my only hand gun for now and I'm wondering what grain ammo I should use for personal protection. What is the rule of thumb (if any) on heavier or lighter grains?

I've been sticking with 165 grain for practice, as was recommended by my local fun store (it's the cheapest) but should I go with a heavier grain for protection? Does it really matter?

I'd like to hear what other members are loading their .40's with and why. Please redirect me if there is an answer in another thread. Thanks.

I would say for personal protection use a hollow point and something the gun store recommends. Personally I would have to say that the heavier the grain the more stopping power the round is .

Link Removed

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Link Removed

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

.40 S&W

• Barnes all-copper bullets (140 & 155gr) loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX40140)
  • Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP (RA40T)
  • Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP (RA40TA)
  • Winchester Partition Gold 165gr JHP (RA401P)
  • Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP (Q4355)
  • Speer Gold Dot 155gr JHP (53961)
  • Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)
  • Federal Tactical 165gr JHP (LE40T3)
  • Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)
  • Federal HST 180gr JHP (P40HST1)
  • Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

Link Removed

Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Link Removed

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

.40 S&W

• Barnes all-copper bullets (140 & 155gr) loaded by: Cor-Bon (DPX40140)
  • Winchester Ranger 180gr JHP (RA40T)
  • Winchester Ranger 165gr JHP (RA40TA)
  • Winchester Partition Gold 165gr JHP (RA401P)
  • Winchester Bonded 180gr JHP (Q4355)
  • Speer Gold Dot 155gr JHP (53961)
  • Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)
  • Federal Tactical 165gr JHP (LE40T3)
  • Federal Tactical 180gr JHP (LE40T1)
  • Federal HST 180gr JHP (P40HST1)
  • Remington Golden Saber 180 gr JHP (GS40SWB)

This was a wealth of information, thank you very much.

Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP (53962)

I prefer the 180gr .40S&W... the recoil feels closer to a .45ACP to me.

the higher the 'grain' (based on the old standard of the weight of a single wheat grain i believe), the heavier the bullet. the heavier the bullet, the harder it'll hit. the heavier the bullet, the more impact gravity will have on it over longer distances, i.e. a lighter bullet will travel further/straighter (

at a typical self defense range (i.e. less than 20 feet or so?), the weight/gravity difference is pretty meaningless. at long ranges, it isn't, but of course you can always compensate when shooting at distances.

but yeah, everyone says use hollow points for self defense. but quite frankly, a solid core .40s&w at 10 feet will 'deter' someone just as well as a hollow point. then again, if you're defending yourself against someone with a little bit of armor, or maybe you hit some knife or something in their chest pocket, the hollow point is going to have a much harder time penetrating, if at all.

but most self defense situations aren't against armored people, they're against softies with a shirt/jacket on.

i use 180gr FMJ all the time, much cheaper, and 2 or 3 will make nice holes anyway.

The problem with using full metal jacket ammo is the risk of perforation and hitting an innocent bystander or someone in the next room. Ideally, a bullet will penetrate into the vital organs and stop there. There is a better chance of achieving this with a good hollow point bullet at its designed velocity.

So I'm a young guy just starting out and I recently purchased a S&W Sigma 40VE. This is my only hand gun for now and I'm wondering what grain ammo I should use for personal protection. What is the rule of thumb (if any) on heavier or lighter grains?

I've been sticking with 165 grain for practice, as was recommended by my local fun store (it's the cheapest) but should I go with a heavier grain for protection? Does it really matter?

I'd like to hear what other members are loading their .40's with and why. Please redirect me if there is an answer in another thread. Thanks.

I have a Glock 23 (also .40 cal). When training with LE, they require us to use 180 gr... also when wearing it on duty we use Speer Gold Dot HP 180 gr. Now I've compared this to the 165 Speer Gold Dot HP. Funny thing is the 165 grain has higher muzzle velocity and higher energy. So why do many LE if my area require 180 grain? In a 10 mph crosswind the 165 gr will be off target by as much as 50% more than the heavier 180 round, also the 180 doesn't lose its energy or velocity as quickly. My only recommendation for you is that if you carry a certain weight HP for protection, train with that same weight.

Here's a link to the comparison of 165 to 180:

Link Removed

I think you'd be happy with either of those weights for self-defense once you see the stats.

When you have to shoot someone in a self defensive situation . And you use a full metal jacket , the bullet goes out there other end and hits a bystander ... You get into trouble for that . A hollow point will stop inside the person you shoot , not to mention flip and rip them apart while inside

+1 on SGB's list. I have loaded in my 229 (also a .40) the Winchester Ranger 180gr. Any good purpose built self defense ammo from
Hornady, Winchester, Remmington, or Federal will "work". You should find out what cycles best in YOUR gun. As wolf_fire pointed out practice with alike grain weights with rounds of similar velocity.

but yeah, everyone says use hollow points for self defense. but quite frankly, a solid core .40s&w at 10 feet will 'deter' someone just as well as a hollow point.
I'm worried about "deterring" some kid behind my assailant if I get a through and through.

I carry NOTHING but hollowpoints (JHPS for autos LSWC-HPs for .38/.357 revolvers) for self-defense and never would do otherwise. Around here, the stickup men don't wear body armor. The closest they come to armor is their thick, empty skulls.

I have a Glock 23 (also .40 cal). When training with LE, they require us to use 180 gr... also when wearing it on duty we use Speer Gold Dot HP 180 gr. Now I've compared this to the 165 Speer Gold Dot HP. Funny thing is the 165 grain has higher muzzle velocity and higher energy. So why do many LE if my area require 180 grain? In a 10 mph crosswind the 165 gr will be off target by as much as 50% more than the heavier 180 round, also the 180 doesn't lose its energy or velocity as quickly. My only recommendation for you is that if you carry a certain weight HP for protection, train with that same weight.

Here's a link to the comparison of 165 to 180:

Link Removed

I think you'd be happy with either of those weights for self-defense once you see the stats.

Ok so I'm planning on moving up to 180 grain, and buying a few different brands of jhp on the list provided. Then i'll hit the range and spend an afternoon trying them all out. Good info, thank you.

Do not load PP ammo. Use only factory ammo.

Speer Gold Dot 180gr JHP -or- Federal Hydra-Shok JHP, Premium Personal Defense are my favorites

I use a 140gr Solid copper barnes bullet in my G23. Why? The velocity gain gives you a very good muzzle energy, which gives the bullet the chance to fully expand and incompacitate the attacker. The barnes bullet also almost always has 100% weight retention after expansion, as do most self defense bullets these days. The use of FMJ bullets for self defense is a very bad Idea. Good luck in your quest for defensive ammo, there is SO much to learn!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back