A matter of convenience

Jimdangello

Hello, I'm new and am glad to be here! I have a slight issue that I'm looking for some advice on and thought who better to ask than you fine folks here.

So... my issue is that I've just moved from Chicago to Las Vegas and I can't afford the fees (yet) to get my CCW permit for Clark County. So I was thinking about open carrying in the meantime.

However, the only weapon I have at the moment is a .38spcl model UL85 (which is generally a CC piece). So I was wondering if open carrying a "get off me" gun is the right choice for the time being?

When I first got here, in May, I had a couple semi auto's and a shotgun. But we had some hard times financially and I had to part with them to make ends meet. Now, all I have is this wheel gun - which my father sent me from home to make due with.

If I wasn't living in a bad area I'd be fine waiting until I get my CCW (my personal option for a gun like this), but the neighborhood I live in is crawling with drug addicts, pimps, thugs, and every other kind of degenerate you could imagine. In summation: it's a really bad place to not be armed...

For the first few months here my CCW license (which I have through Illinois) was fine for carrying concealed because Nevada honors it. But now that I'm a resident I need to cough up the money to do the classes through Clark County on Nevada law, and I just don't know when I'm gonna have that kind of scratch.

In closing - I apologize for this being long, I was just trying to paint a picture for you all. My concern, again, is if carrying such a small firearm is feasible for the time being? I mean, it's better than nothing at all, that's for sure! I just don't wanna look like an idiot or some wanna be cowboy.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!
Thanks

However, the only weapon I have at the moment is a .38spcl model UL85 (which is generally a CC piece). So I was wondering if open carrying a "get off me" gun is the right choice for the time being?

Sounds like the only choice for the time being

If it is good for concealed carry, why shouldn't it be good for open carry? Your ability to defend yourself is the same. Just make sure that you have a decent holster with some retention.

To paraphrase an old saying, "if you can't carry the gun you love, love the gun you can carry."
If all you have is one handgun, carry it and know what to do with it should the need arise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back