A lever gun sight problem

JohnD13

Well, I don't see a lot of posts here regarding lever guns, and actually this Marlin Model 30 AS is the first lever gun I have owned. The problem seems to be my ability to hit the target with iron sights. When I got the rifle, I took it to the range and proceeded to shoot bushel basket sized groups at 50 yards that were about 18 inches high. Adjusting the sight elevator had little to no effect on the target. So, I tried a set of XS aperture sights, and found that with all the adjustment in the sight, I was only around 12 inches high a 50 yards, I know that's not much distance, but until I'm on target, that's as far as I'm walking! But the group was down to 3 inches, almost minute of whitetail. Finally, I put a scope on it. The gun shoots pretty well with the scope, holds 2 inches at 100 yards. I just didn't want to scope it. It's going to be a hundred yard deer gun, that is about all the distance I need. And I like the way it looks without the scope on it. So, what do you think is going on with the iron sights? I actually can shoot iron sights pretty well, I only have one other rifle with a scope on it. Any ideas are appreciated, because I'm baffled.

The first thing to check is for a loose sights. If you are still shooting high with the rear ramped all the way, try a taller front sight, its too short. If you get one too tall you can file it down.

Sight alignment?

Does the gun have a buckhorn rear sight? Shooting THAT high at 50 yards sounds like lining up the front sight at the top of a buckhorn instead of the bottom of the V.

I have a Winchester 30-30 that had the same problems. Fortunately I was stationed near Winchester at one point in my Navy career and brought the 'almost' new gun to them. They had to replace the barrel.

I could move the the rear sight damn near out of the dovetail and still be just at the very edge of the target.

Warped barrel. Winchester said it came from the factory that way and charged me nothing.

A scope can mask a problem like that.

KK

Well, the sights are tight, including the aperture sight I put on! XS has a couple "try" front sight post to shoot and see which height will work for you, but I'll have to get them. This set came off a family 336. I was using the bottom of the V with the original sights, Trust me, I've shot a few before! Never experienced a warped barrel before, is there a way to check that or is that a job for the gunsmith? Thanks for the suggestions folks, eventually I get it shooting!

Well, I don't see a lot of posts here regarding lever guns, and actually this Marlin Model 30 AS is the first lever gun I have owned. The problem seems to be my ability to hit the target with iron sights. When I got the rifle, I took it to the range and proceeded to shoot bushel basket sized groups at 50 yards that were about 18 inches high. Adjusting the sight elevator had little to no effect on the target. So, I tried a set of XS aperture sights, and found that with all the adjustment in the sight, I was only around 12 inches high a 50 yards, I know that's not much distance, but until I'm on target, that's as far as I'm walking! But the group was down to 3 inches, almost minute of whitetail. Finally, I put a scope on it. The gun shoots pretty well with the scope, holds 2 inches at 100 yards. I just didn't want to scope it. It's going to be a hundred yard deer gun, that is about all the distance I need. And I like the way it looks without the scope on it. So, what do you think is going on with the iron sights? I actually can shoot iron sights pretty well, I only have one other rifle with a scope on it. Any ideas are appreciated, because I'm baffled.

Just my 2 cents worth but your last 3 words tell me its time to stop beating yourself up and stop wasting ammo its time to take it to the gunsmith.There is no shame in going to the Professional Gunsmith and telling them your problem and admitting you can't figure it out yourself and sometimes it costs less than continuing down an unknown road by yourself .

I think it would be pretty hard for the layman to detect a warped barrel. Maybe a bore sighter with a laser might give you a clue.

KK

Well, I'm taking it to the gunsmith, you're right about this one being a little past my ability to fix. If the barrel is warped it sure doesn't show up against a straight edge on the outside, and I don't have a laser. But using the optical bore sight, I did bring the scope onto the paper. It's a nice, compact gun, so I'll sink some money in it. Thanks again for the ideas.

Just a follow up on the Marlin. The smith installed a .560" front sight, re-installed the rear factory sight and found the correct elevator, and it's shooting fine now. You guys hit it right with suggesting a higher front sight. I guess some earlier owner change out the sight elevator for some reason, but comparing what I had to the new one, you could see a difference. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back