CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

A LEO speaks about citizens & CC

Here's an interesting read on citizens and concealed carry. The author is a retired LEO. There are a lot of good points. I can't say I agree with everything he says, but as a whole, I think is an excellent read.

Link Removed

gf

This is indeed a good read. Thanks for posting, Glock Fan.

For the most I agree, except for when the author says that the increase in the number of law abiding armed citizens increases the amount of danger to police. If anything, the more armed law abiding citizens there are, the safer society is.

That's one of the points where my opinion differs from the author as well.

gf

It increases the number of situations in which a LEO may potentially need to use their brain extra carefully on a subject which they may not be fully versed in. It's not just an innocuous subject such as parking fines or court dates, though...it's involving firearms, which require great care.

It's kind of like how an increase in the number of manual transmissions or people who cook with gas increases the amount of intelligent thought that people have to put into whatever it is that they're doing. A mistake can be bad.

One of the better points brought up in this piece is that police sometimes shoot one of their own when not following procedures. And if that can happen, you KNOW that a civilian holding a gun can suffer the same fate. I don't worry so much about telling a LEO that I am armed and have a permit as I do about having a BG on the ground, wounded or otherwise, and having the police shoot me for holding my gun on him.

And it is because of this that I considered carrying a badge similar to this:

Link Removed

Although advised adversely by several people, I checked with the local PD and SO, and got this response:
Now I'm not sure what would be worse, being accused of impersonating a police officer, or being shot by one who thought I was the BG.

Now I'm not sure what would be worse, being accused of impersonating a police officer, or being shot by one who thought I was the BG.
Although the problem of LEOs mistaking CWP holders for criminals is often discussed, when has it actually happened in practice? It's best to stick to the tried-and-true method of calling the cops ASAP after drawing your weapon. Cell phones make that even easier. These badges seem to be a solution to a theoretical problem that doesn't exist, and mostly just complicates things for everyone.

A lot of how the officer responds has to do with your actions. When officers arrive, be sure to identify your self as being the one who called you, or somehow otherwise let them know that you're not the BG. One good phrase to use is "don't shoot, don't shoot", then wait for instruction from the responding officers. You will rarely see a BG stand still and shout "don't shoot, don't shoot". Most times, they'll do their best to get outta there.

There are other ways to dress and items you can carry to help LE figure out that you're not a BG. Remember that the way you conduct yourself will make a big difference on how the LEO will treat you.

gf

Email