this question is like asking someone what the best deer rifle is...I carry a bersa thunder 45 in the warm weather months and a xd45sc in the cool weather months no further explanation necessary I hope?

You can comfortably carry a 5" 1911 all day long if you have the right Holster and a GOOD BELT!!
I carry a 5" STI and I did carry a CBOB for a few years and G30 . It all comes down to the Holster and Belt!!

Rookie question: Why a .45? Stopping power obviously, but what about penetration and weight? Wouldn't you want something a little smaller to reduce the risk of a stray bullet overpenetrating and striking an innocent?

Rookie question: Why a .45? Stopping power obviously, but what about penetration and weight? Wouldn't you want something a little smaller to reduce the risk of a stray bullet overpenetrating and striking an innocent?

A .45 is very unlikely to over-penetrate, especially if it's a HP. Unlikely even if it's a FMJ round. If it were to over-penetrate, it wouldn't have enough energy left to harm an innocent bystander. I've heard of it happening only once, and the bullet (FMJ) was found on the floor about a foot behind the victim. And this shooting happened at a very close range.

Why not get lots of them!? I have a Kimber Pro which is a 4 inch, a Glock 30, and just got an HK USP. Options are always nice. I would ccw any of them, but I prefer the Kimber.

I have two Kimber Ultra CDP II's a 45acp and a 9mm some times I carry a full size Kimber Eclipse Custom II. It all depends on what I am doing and the weather. I use a Milt Sparks Holster, a VMII or a Summer Special II for my 5" I hang these on a Beltman belt. I am ordering a Milt Sparks belt and another VMII for a Ed Brown Kobra Carry I have on order. Trips to the beach gets a Sig P238 SAS in a Milt Sparks Summer Special I had for a Colt Mustang.

KimberEclipseCustomII-NewSkullGripswithMotherofPearl007.jpg

Link Removed

SigP238EquinoxandSAS006.jpg

:cool:

I have a Glock 36 as well as a Taurus PT145Pro. Both 45acp. Love the Taurus. Shorter than the Glock but a little wider. Taurus is diffently my daily carry.

A .45 is very unlikely to over-penetrate, especially if it's a HP. Unlikely even if it's a FMJ round. If it were to over-penetrate, it wouldn't have enough energy left to harm an innocent bystander. I've heard of it happening only once, and the bullet (FMJ) was found on the floor about a foot behind the victim. And this shooting happened at a very close range.
This spring I saw an example of not over penetrating. .45 230 gr FMJ went into a full can of outdated Diet Dr. Pepper. When I picked up the can, the bullet was inside.

My other Carry
is a Ed Brown Special Forces

EDBrown-1.jpg

Nice!

I keep looking at a Randall Service Model and have to keep telling myself I don't need another full size .45. Willpower is failing though the closer we get to Christmas. Ed Browns just don't fit into the budjet.:frown:

Just purchased a Colt SS combat commander, what a SWEET 1911. And Ive been asking myself why I waited so long to buy it. Conceals well enough and shoots great!!

I carry a warthog with a rail(Lite hawg)
Nice little .45 made by para ordnance . 11 rnds of .45 in an officers frame.. whats not to like.

litehawg.jpg

A G30sf with 9+1, or 10+1 with an extended magazine, filled with Hydra-Shok 185g +P.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back