1st CC gun

YooperRob

Looking for my first CC pistol. Thinking 9mm for cheaper practice but have been considering a 40. Narrowed down to a Ruger P95 and a S&W Sigma SW9VE (or SW40VE). Anyone have issues with these guns? Sugestions? I'm am limited on funds so these are low end.

Thanks in advance.

If these are what you have to choose from... go with the Ruger P95. They'll shoot into next century, I have heard that the Sigma series is crap... though, I have no personal experiance.

9mm is plenty for defense. Either Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Hornady Critcal Duty... all of it will do what you need it to. The rest, is up to you being able to hit your target.

First, do not buy the Sigma! I have personally been told by a S&W rep who just happened to be visiting the local gun shop when I stopped in. I talked to him about the Sigma because I had one and it wasn't exactly a nice piece. He informed me that the Sigma line was a rush job and they were not particularly accurate. Buy the best gun you can afford. I happen to lean toward Sig's, but their carry line is rather small, and they are rather expensive. So that leaves the Ruger. They make nice handguns and they shoot well. I happen to own a few, and like them.

Yep Ruger SR9 or SR9c or maybe the Ruger P95? Also look at Bersa guns and the S&W MP 9 or MP9c. So many good guns to choose from.

:victory:

The last thing you want is a cheap gun when SHTF. It is cructial that it goes bang EVERY time. I am partial to the Springfield XD because of the double safety built in with no external safety to fumble for. With the advances in HP ammo in the last few years it isn't necessary for anything bigger than 9mm unless there is a personal desire.

My first CC weapon and holster...

Having spent a lot of time in research (on all things from carry location, gun and holster) as advised by... pretty much anyone, a year later I still love my first CCW and holster - I have not yet started a box of "mistake" holsters like I hear many have.

I carry the Ruger SR9C, and thought I'd never even want that size in this fad era of love for compact pistols (don't get me wrong, I plan on gettting a full compact for better concealment in light summer clothing). After determining where I want to carry (thought it would be at 5 o'clock but it's not) and trying out different positions and pistol sizes, I surprised with my decision myself given my slender, 170 lb 5'9" frame. I am pleased with the time I took to research.... keep in mind, everyone has an opinion, and what matters is your comfort with the use of the weapon and the how well/confortable you carry it; no one else can rebutt your opinion on this - and believe me, in the gun rights circles you'll meet as many opinionated know-it-alls as you will in your average company IT department. Case in point: I still love my High-Noon, cowhide, Alter Ego holster. And at the range the other day, I had a know-it-all employee of the range tell me to call the police because I got ripped off on my holster... he recommends crossbreed. Well, All i know is I love mine, and looking (admittedly without personal experience) at the IWB crossbreeds... they're huge! Talk about sweating! And he carried a much smaller, fully compact in it. Ha! Mine, to me, is well worth the money ($110), carried around 12 to 1 o'clock (you just have to get used to your piece pointing at your privates!

Good luck!

I carry a S&W Sigma 9mm regularly. I have fired a few thousand rounds through it and never have had a problem. I have heard that there were issues with the earlier production models but my performs flawlessly.

Glock G22 or 23

I carry the G22 .40 cal in an Old Faithful hybrid(IWB or OWB). Fullsize frame and undetectable under sweats or sports jacket. BTW - check out the holster website. I got the kit and saved about half with little work or effort. You may find the Glock as good or better in price and just about indestructable and fully reliable. I love mine. I had considered the 23 but it is only shorter. There is a CC framed model but I didn't see the need to trade. Also, if you find an older model, the Gen 4 only gives you the different sized grip which I find unneccessary. Good luck and enjoy your CC. I just used my Va non-res through Pa, WV and Ohio. Del residents cannot use another state's non-res and I haven't been able to afford all the ancillary costts involved with getting my res so I carry open everywhere that is legal. No problem so far. Beez in Delaware.

My BIL bought a Sigma when they first came out.I might take it to a rock fight, but not a gun fight.Supposedly the newer models are better.I carry a PPS in 9mm in a Theis IWB.Very comfortable.

Looking for my first CC pistol. Thinking 9mm for cheaper practice but have been considering a 40. Narrowed down to a Ruger P95 and a S&W Sigma SW9VE (or SW40VE). Anyone have issues with these guns? Sugestions? I'm am limited on funds so these are low end.

Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with any on this list. I carry a SW Sigma 9mm, did a little trigger work on it, and am very pleased overall with it. :cool:

I would take a close look at S&W J-frame revolvers. The price is easily below $500, and the .38 +P certainly has similar ballistics to a 9mm and costs not much more per round. I carry one as a BUG in my front pocket, and sometimes as my primary - real easy, comfortable, accessible, and will do the job.
And my recommendation for a carry? A Glock G30 loaded with 200g +P. That's my primary when the J is the BUG - they get along fine :biggrin:

You can't go wrong with a P95, they are accurate and vary dependable. The SR9c and SR40c are also good choices for CC, they are more compact and easier to conceal. The P95 is a little bulkier for CC but they are about as dependable as a pistol can be.

Ruger SR9c or SR40c are great carry pistols. You can get a SR9 for practice and carry the SR9c, the controls are identical and will fit in the same holsters. Here in Pa SR9c will come with a 17 & 10 round magazine, the P95 is nice too but is heavier and too wide for my hand. The SR series is slimmer and at around $500 are a great deal!

I own a Sigma SW40VE, which was produced later in the production run! With over 3000 rounds through it, never a failure to feed or fire when the trigger is pulled! The only thing I have done to it is change the front sight to aftermarket fiber optic. My buddy with a Glock, has fired this gun, and likes it as much as his Glock! Guess if you are looking at the Sigma, try and get one with the later serial numbers!
If you have one that is crap, or that one calls crap, first check your grip! These guns, like many semi's do not like a sloppy weak grip! Too many times at the range I have seen people with weapons that are not cycling correctly, and they blame the gun when they have a weak grip not allowing it to cycle correctly. Several times I have offered to help, take a good look at the weapon, put in a fresh clip and fire off 5 rounds, 10 rounds without an issue! Then show the owner the proper way to hold it. Problem solved!

Next, if you are not happy with it, send it to S&W and have them take a look at it! But make sure to clean it properly first! Would not be good for S&W to charge you a cleaning fee for a perfectly good weapon!

Greetings!

I own a Sigma SW40VE, which was produced later in the production run! With over 3000 rounds through it, never a failure to feed or fire when the trigger is pulled! The only thing I have done to it is change the front sight to aftermarket fiber optic. My buddy with a Glock, has fired this gun, and likes it as much as his Glock! Guess if you are looking at the Sigma, try and get one with the later serial numbers!
If you have one that is crap, or that one calls crap, first check your grip! These guns, like many semi's do not like a sloppy weak grip! Too many times at the range I have seen people with weapons that are not cycling correctly, and they blame the gun when they have a weak grip not allowing it to cycle correctly. Several times I have offered to help, take a good look at the weapon, put in a fresh clip and fire off 5 rounds, 10 rounds without an issue! Then show the owner the proper way to hold it. Problem solved!

Next, if you are not happy with it, send it to S&W and have them take a look at it! But make sure to clean it properly first! Would not be good for S&W to charge you a cleaning fee for a perfectly good weapon!

Greetings!

Forgive a newbie question but how does your grip cause the gun not to cycle correctly? I could see how it could affect your accuracy.

If these are what you have to choose from... go with the Ruger P95. They'll shoot into next century, I have heard that the Sigma series is crap... though, I have no personal experiance.

9mm is plenty for defense. Either Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Hornady Critcal Duty... all of it will do what you need it to. The rest, is up to you being able to hit your target.

I have plenty of experience with the SIGMA, and it is a real POS. Extractors break, they are really fussy about what you feed them, and are of poor workmanship. I read that price point is an issue for you. What's your life worth? Every carry gun I own is meticulously maintained, and top shelf out of the box. I have some inexpensive guns that are well made, and some plinkers that I could care less if they fail to fire/feed/extract. Don't sweat price as much as quality. Do you need an Ed Brown for 2600 bucks? Probably not. Should you find a used Jennings or Bryco? Absolutely not.

I noted your choices all run to semi-auto pistols. You are leaving a lot on the table if you don't at least look at Ruger's SP101, and any of the many S&W J-frame pocket pistols. Even Taurus and Rossi revolvers are generally well made. If buying used, take someone who knows what they're talking about. Used firearms are abundant, and most of my hand cannons were NOT new when bought. You can save a fortune. Shop well, read reviews, shoot a friends gun(s), and make a well informed decision that doesn't weigh so heavily on price.

Forgive a newbie question but how does your grip cause the gun not to cycle correctly? I could see how it could affect your accuracy.

Its called "limp-wristing". Semi auto pistols work on recoil (except the sub calibers that work on straight blow back). If you allow your weak grip to take up the recoil, the pistol very well may not have enough resistance placed against it to function. Persons of slight build, or those who are recoil sensitive, very likely ought to look at a revolver.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back