165g or 180g 40 S&W

lamerem

Alright guys and gals got my shield 40 ordered 3.1" barrel. I haven't had a 40 before just 9.s and 45's.. What are your experiences with 165 and 180 for self defense?

I am looking at hornady critical duty, ranger t's, hydra-shok and HST

Seems in other forums users are choosing 165g for velocity and accuracy. What's your mileage?

For all around practice, I use both in FMJ in my Shield and Sig and find I am about the same in accuracy with both. However, when I practice I will usually go through a box of my carry ammo, either Hornady Critical Defense (165) or Horandy TAP (155), and I do prefer the TAP. Have not used any other self defense ammo other than the Hornady, but am currently looking at trying the Cor-Bon DPX.

I recently acquired a S&W M&P .40 compact. I LOVE this gun. I found I was accurate at a significantly longer range than it is rated.
That being said, I've discussed ammo with several friends, and our concensus is that you don't want anything with 2 high a velocity for home defense. Also recommend hydro-shocks.
Reason being, something that explodes on impact with a lower velocity is better than taking a chance of missing and the bullet penetrating into an adjoining house and striking an innocent.
For personal defense, you don't need that fast a bullet to begin with. You just need stopping power.
Hope this helps

What are your experiences with 165 and 180 for self defense?

Seems in other forums users are choosing 165g for velocity and accuracy. What's your mileage?

I use 165gr Winchester PDX1 in my Glock for home defense / personal defense, although I also keep some 180gr on hand as well.

I based that on the formula for kinetic energy which is 1/2 Mass x Velocity (Squared)

I feel that the 165gr gives me the best combination of kinetic energy and accuracy - having said that I always recommend that you purchase a box of different ammunition and head out to the range. See what feels best for you and what cycles the best through your gun.

While I agree that you need to be aware of your surroundings and minimize any collateral damage, the difference between 165gr and 180gr should be minimal if you miss your target.

Alright guys and gals got my shield 40 ordered 3.1" barrel. I haven't had a 40 before just 9.s and 45's.. What are your experiences with 165 and 180 for self defense?

The Shield is a very good CC weapon, however shooting heavy stuff out of it, 165 and especialy 180 will hurt, not just sting a little, the gun is small and light, again great for cc, but I would definatly suggest something lighter in weight for range use

The Shield is a very good CC weapon, however shooting heavy stuff out of it, 165 and especialy 180 will hurt, not just sting a little, the gun is small and light, again great for cc, but I would definatly suggest something lighter in weight for range use

I don't find this entirely true. I had no issues with the XDs!

I agree with you on the XDs in 45, good hit hit but not intolerable, but the Shield in 40 with a heavy bullit has a bunch of felt recoil, and if you are used to a lot of recoil it is less of a issue, now the Shield in 9mm is a nice shooter, would most likely get one for myself if the right deal came up

I run speer gold dots in 165grain, From what test I have seen online the 165 expands a tad better (probably not enough to matter in real world) And I am a tad more accurate with 165's (main reason). I don’t think it matters in real world situations just my .02

Actually, there'll be no difference if you miss your target.

hahaha, BEST ANSWER!

come on guys long distance? kinetic energy? this is SD shooting if you are shooting something more than 20 feet away you're using the wrong weapon!
for home defense try using a shottie, for longer distances an AR type weapon, pistols are for close encounters

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back