Police encounters while carrying (new handgun owner)

IISevv

Hey everyone, I’m 18 years old and am interested in starting to carry (I live in Arizona so this is completely legal). Given that I can only legally open carry, I’m only interested in carrying while in my car as the population where I live tends to be less open carry friendly (Scottsdale). I’m looking for anecdotal advice about carrying in Arizona, mainly from people who have had interactions with police officers while carrying. I don’t plan on doing anything stupid, I’m talking about while pulled over. I have all of my information on my sun visor so I won’t be fumbling around with a gun in the car, my only concern is that with so much recent animosity towards cops, he’ll be a little uneasy dealing with an 18 year old with a loaded firearm. On a side note, I plan on taking the CCW course even though I cannot get the license.

How do you plan to deal with the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone law that makes it a felony for you to carry a loaded firearm within 1000' of school premises without a permit?

How do you plan to deal with the 1000' Federal Gun Free School Zone law that makes it a felony for you to carry a loaded firearm within 1000' of school premises without a permit?
A Maine non-resident CCW permit. They issue at 18, will send it in the mail (from what they’ve told me) and Arizona has complete reciprocity with Maine.

A Maine non-resident CCW permit. They issue at 18, will send it in the mail (from what they’ve told me) and Arizona has complete reciprocity with Maine.

Think again - that won't satisfy the law:
18 USC 922 (q)(2):
(q)(2)
(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license

The state the school zone is located in will be Arizona. You will not be licensed to carry the firearm BY Arizona with a background check performed by Arizona. You will be licensed BY the State of Maine and it will be Maine that does the background check. Thus your Maine license will only exempt you in school zones in Maine. That's what the law states, and that is also the way ATF interprets it:
Link Removed

Did you have a backup plan to comply with the law? Map out the school zones with 1000' perimeters and stop outside each one and unload the gun and lock it in a box, maybe? Just be aware every time you are within 1000' of school premises (not just the building), you will be committing a Federal felony with a loaded firearm.

Thank you for the information. I’ve talked to a few police officers to gather as much information as possible, and some haven’t been very informed with regards to firearms laws.

I just installed a safe in the center console of my truck for that very purpose, however I may decide it is not worth the potential legal hassle and simply wait until I am 21 and can legally get an Arizona permit.

Hey everyone, I’m 18 years old and am interested in starting to carry (I live in Arizona so this is completely legal). Given that I can only legally open carry, I’m only interested in carrying while in my car as the population where I live tends to be less open carry friendly (Scottsdale). I’m looking for anecdotal advice about carrying in Arizona, mainly from people who have had interactions with police officers while carrying. I don’t plan on doing anything stupid, I’m talking about while pulled over. I have all of my information on my sun visor so I won’t be fumbling around with a gun in the car, my only concern is that with so much recent animosity towards cops, he’ll be a little uneasy dealing with an 18 year old with a loaded firearm. On a side note, I plan on taking the CCW course even though I cannot get the license.

I live in AZ as well, and I'm a CCW permit holder. You need to contact DPS CCW licensing unit. In AZ you may NOT openly carry until you are 21. If pulled over now, you will likely be arrested. Check with DPS CCW unit before you do anything.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back