Nc Laws

I live out east, and have carried up and down the crystal coast (Atlantic Beach, Jacksonville, Havelock, Emerald Isle, Morehead City, New Bern, Beaufort) as well as Greenville, Raleigh, and other random places around here.

I said it before and I'll say it again, the "going armed to the terror of the people" bit is a non-issue. If a cop tries to arrest you for this, you would have every right to resist as it would be an illegal arrest (assuming, of course, that you are simply carrying a sidearm in a holster). You can't let crap like this scare you from exercising your rights. If you do, then you've already lost your rights to begin with.

CarolinaJohn, what county do you live in? I will be more than happy to visit a bank in your area to make my point. Openly carried weapons are NOT PROHIBITED in financial institutions, period. Only once have I been questioned for doing this. A man asked, rather loudly, why I had a gun in, of all places, the bank. I told him that State law prohibited me from carrying concealed in a bank even with my permit, so I HAD to carry it like this. He shut up, and everyone else realized I knew what I was doing.

It has already been stated that Chapel Hill is the only municipality with any restrictions specifically on openly carried weapons. The minimum is 6", and even a small Walther PPK qualifies.

As long as you familiarize yourself with NC's gun laws, you will be fine openly carrying. I invite anyone and everyone who carries in NC to do so openly. I couldn't tell you how many people I have educated about their rights and freedoms just because I was carrying. Every person I have met and talked to had no idea that it was legal to carry a firearm for personal protection without having to get permission from the state. You just have to be 18 and legally own your firearm...that's it. I've even been invited to "stop by often" by business owners because they appreciate what I do.

Ok sorry I'll stop ranting. It just irks me when people tell you "it may be legal, but it's just not a good idea". If you don't use your rights, you'll lose your rights. Remember that.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, or anyone else worth suing.

New Hanover, huh? Wilmington is in that county if I'm not mistaken, right? I've open carried out there...never had to stop by a bank, though. I'll have to head out that direction.

Yes Wilmington is here. I just cnnot imagine carrying openly. First of all, I would do it if I knew I wasnt going to jail. Second, I do not like open carry because it takes away the element of surprise. Someone sees you carrying, and then plots something to catch you off guard and put you behind the reaction curve.

In my opinion, people here need to get off the soapbox and reform the laws so that one may carry concealed anywhere!

lol I'll be more than happy to carry all over Wilmington with no fear of going to jail. I'll even go to the mall if they don't have signs posted. I'll make a shopping day of it. I dunno if I like your reasons for not carrying openly, though. My guard is up no matter how I'm carrying, and whether I am carrying or not...you'd be hard pressed to catch me off guard, period. I hope you don't keep your guard down just because you're concealed. On top of that, I LIKE letting other people know that I'm armed. You would have to be stupid to try something on a guy that you KNOW is armed, and I would much rather only deal with the stupid ones. Gives me ANOTHER edge on 'em.

Anyway with a little training and practice you can be prepared on the off chance that some idiot would be dumb enough to try to grab your gun. How often do you practice retention for your concealed weapon? I bet ya don't.

Anyway it's your choice on how you want to carry. I will say, though, that there was a time when a true gentleman had no reason to hide his sidearm. Thats why I don't hide mine.

lol I'll be more than happy to carry all over Wilmington with no fear of going to jail. I'll even go to the mall if they don't have signs posted. I'll make a shopping day of it. I dunno if I like your reasons for not carrying openly, though. My guard is up no matter how I'm carrying, and whether I am carrying or not...you'd be hard pressed to catch me off guard, period. I hope you don't keep your guard down just because you're concealed. On top of that, I LIKE letting other people know that I'm armed. You would have to be stupid to try something on a guy that you KNOW is armed, and I would much rather only deal with the stupid ones. Gives me ANOTHER edge on 'em.

Anyway with a little training and practice you can be prepared on the off chance that some idiot would be dumb enough to try to grab your gun. How often do you practice retention for your concealed weapon? I bet ya don't.

Anyway it's your choice on how you want to carry. I will say, though, that there was a time when a true gentleman had no reason to hide his sidearm. Thats why I don't hide mine.

Oh please don't go there. I have logged more than 1000 hours of training with professional schools, and have trained with numerous law enforcement agencies from handgun, to tactical shotgun, and assault rifle. I began sniper training as well and lost that contact when I moved here.

I have been trained by professionals on weapon retention.

Save the lecture for someone you have confirmed does not practice or keeps up with their training.

Your philosophy is so flawed it could be dangerous. ANY LEO can tell you that you will LOSE your battle if someone has the drop on you. You cannot be prepared at all times, no matter how hard you train. Someone that KNOWS you have a firearm can mount their attack baswed on KNOWING you have a firearm.

With your philosophy, there should NEVER be a time when a cop gets offed on the side of the road. A cop should never be ambushed. Yet, there are countless acoountings of these things happening.

The law forces some to carry openly, but the true reasoning of carrying concealed is so that no one knows who is aremed and who is not. Carrying openly IMHO is only for those times when the law prohibits you from carrying concealed. So, COWBOY, please research your subjects before you accuse people of not training or practicing or keeping up with proficiency.

Gimme a break!

Hey Guys...

I think this is a thread about the particulars of North Carolina Law and how and where you may or may not carry. Please don't turn it in to a Δ!¢K waving contest about training and proficiency. I think the whole point of concealed carry and the second amendment in general is that everyone is entitled to the same rights that you are regardless if they have had thousands of hours of training or not.

Last edited:
I think this is a thread about the particulars of North Carolina Law and how and where you may or may not carry. Please don't turn it in to a Δ!¢K waving contest about training and proficiency. Everyone is entitled to the same rights that you are regardless if they have had thousands of hours of training or not.

This banter is about North Carolina Laws. You must read deep into the thread before you determine it is not. Although all have the right to Carry, not everyone has the right to carry concealed. That is a priviledge granted by the State.

The only mention of training came forward as the previous poster questiones someone's training because of a firm belief in that opn carry can bring about undesirable problems.

One may have the RIGHT to carry openly, but will not be devoid of public and or police scrutiny.

Do you not support his right to open carry if he so chooses?

I support all rights given to us under the United States Constitution. However, you are confusing two issues here.

I never opposed anyone's rights to open carry. Imerely stated that open carry can have some consequences that may not be desired. I then mentioned that when open carrying, the element of surprise is lost.

I would never challenge anyone's right to carry openly.

So, I caution you again to fully read all contents of the previous posts before you assume how one believes or what one's stance is.

There are many folks who open carry not so much for self-defense, but rather to prove the point that they can under law, carry open.

You do not see many martial artists running around diplaying items that would show the general public that they are trained to fight. Why? Because the element of surprise is always an advantage.

Peace...

I am sorry about your bad experiences in NC. I live in a rural county and received my permit in two weeks. I have read however that the sheriff in your county is very anti and slows it up all he can.

I also agree that from what I have read about him open carry would invite a world of trouble.

Now, for the issue of all the restrictions in NC, as I live near the Virginia border I to there for banking and movies.

North Carolina Law...

I would never challenge anyone's right to carry openly.

Back to North Carolina Law. Open Carry is legal and supported by two N.C. Supreme Court decisions (State v. Kerner and State v. Fennell). If you accept the inconveniences of having an exposed weapon and you know and follow the law you will not be arrested. In the Peoples Republic of Chapel Hill the handgun you openly carry must be over six inches in length. Concealed Carry is legal statewide with a permit. We have some stupid restrictions on places that we can carry both openly and concealed. Anybody have anthing else to add?

Back to North Carolina Law. Open Carry is legal and supported by two N.C. Supreme Court decisions (State v. Kerner and State v. Fennell). If you accept the inconveniences of having an exposed weapon and you know and follow the law you will not be arrested. In the Peoples Republic of Chapel Hill the handgun you openly carry must be over six inches in length. Concealed Carry is legal statewide with a permit. We have some stupid restrictions on places that we can carry both openly and concealed. Anybody have anthing else to add?

You cannot say "you will not be arrested." Police arrest people for various things. They charge you. You then have to fight a legal battle to prove that you were within the law. I am not saying you will be arrested 100% of the time or even 50%, but if a cop feels you are in violation of the law, you go to jail and it becomes your issue to prove that you were wrongly arrested.

Even then, you will not see monetary retribution. LEO (I am not cop bashing here) have leewaymore than you think in these matters.

If a cop wants to charge you with "Going Armed to the Terror of the Public," he can do it. It becomes a problem for you the citizen,not him the cop.

I am also not saying to give up your rights, just be prudent in exercising them.

You can also be arrested because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time or you look like someone who committed a crime. It's an inconvienent, scary fact of life but 99.9999999% of the time, if you know and follow the law, you will be fine. Why worry about it if you know you are within the law and can prove it?

You can also be arrested because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time or you look like someone who committed a crime. It's an inconvienent, scary fact of life but 99.9999999% of the time, if you know and follow the law, you will be fine. Why worry about it if you know you are within the law and can prove it?

I will just agree to disagree Be well...

One shouldn't say that you will not be arrested for openly carrying, however one can say that you CANNOT BE ARRESTED for open carry. It is legal, and it is not grounds for detention or arrest, PERIOD. If a law enforcement officer attempts to detain or arrest me solely for carrying openly, and can articulate no other legitimate reason, I will remind them that when faced with unlawful arrest, I have the right to defend myself by any means necessary. After that, the ball is in their court.

Anyway I apologize for making a wrong assumption. I made the assumption that you didn't have a lot of retention training or practice based on your apparent fear of carrying openly.

As far as what exactly the topic is, I think of it this way. The topic here is what is LEGAL here NC, as well as how LEOs and others react to LEGAL activity. Cops, Sheriffs, and anyone else who think they have authority will tell you that while open carry is technically legal, you shouldn't do it because it's dangerous and it will scare people, and you'll get arrested anyway. You, John, seem to have this exact same opinion. You argue that you think you'll get arrested at gunpoint for carrying in a bank. I am TELLING YOU that I've done it, and that didn't happen. Have you ever open carried here, John? Sounds like you haven't...if that's the case, then why do you think you can speculate on what will happen? Go carry, get arrested, and THEN I will agree with you. Until then, you have nothing but speculations against my first hand experiences.

The bottom line is, there is no excuse for suggesting that someone not practice their RIGHT. You can do whatever you'd like, and you can express your reasons, but there is no place on this forum for trying to convince others not to do something LEGAL because a LEO is going to ILLEGALLY arrest you.

Although all have the right to Carry, not everyone has the right to carry concealed. That is a priviledge granted by the State.

You seem very comfortable with this fact, John. That worries me. I would have to argue and say that it IS your right to carry openly OR concealed, but this state still requires you to have their permission to carry concealed. I personally think this is wrong, and am doing all I can to change it.

Now I am going to say, yet again, that I am not a lawyer. I will also say, however, that if anyone, while doing absolutely nothing else wrong, gets arrested simply for openly carrying after reading this thread, I will personally help pay for their lawyer. Open carry is legal in this State, and that's the end of it.

If you don't use your rights, you'll lose your rights.

You know I agreed to disagree, yet you push on. No my friend, I do NOT fear open carry. I choose not to,my choice...ain't America Great for that? If you choose to be a cowboy....go for it..I have no issue.

Now....when you are financially able to PAY all my legal bills, time off work, college tuition for my kid and food on my table for an unlawful arrest protest, I may take you up on it.

I would love to see you defend yourself against any LEO that decided you were under arrest, but you felt otherwise. Are you going to draw your weapon on them? You stated "any means..." How ridiculous!

Watch this video: YouTube - Dan Sayers arrest video

Ohio is an Open Carry State....

lol well I started typing before you agreed to disagree. So that's the second time you've called me cowboy...kinda childish, don'tcha think? That really sounds like an argument an anti-gun person would use. Ya know, gun owners are nothing more than gunslinging wanna-be cowboys...is that how you feel, John?

Anyway I can think of VERY FEW situations where I would go so far as to physically resist a LEO, let alone draw down on one. I also highly doubt that I would run across a LEO that would honestly attempt to arrest me for no good reason. The thing is, though, LEOs aren't any different from anybody else. They're just people doing their job. They're not better than me, and I'm not better than them. I'm gonna treat them the same way I treat anybody else, and trust them as much as I trust anybody else (which isn't that much, sorry). If they're dumb enough to try to illegally arrest me, they'll get the same treatment as a guy who was trying to kidnap me or beat me up would. Of course I wouldn't attempt to go up against a guy who had an obvious advantage (i.e. he had his gun out before I got mine out) but thats just a matter of self preservation. I'd have to find another way out of that rather stick situation.

Anyway, you've given three main reasons for choosing not to open carry. The first was that you think you'll get arrested, the second is that you think you'll be at a greater risk for an attack, and lastly in the event of an attack, you think you will not have the element of surprise over your attacker. Sounds like you're afraid to get arrested, afraid to be a target, and afraid to let others know you're armed. Your choice is out of fear as far as I can tell.

Anyway as you can see I'm referring to real situations, most of which I, myself, have been in, as well as making observations and expressing my opinions based on said observations. You're name calling and making up pretend scenarios where your opinion is right and mine is wrong. Can we maybe get on the same page here? You grow up or I grow down...I'll let you choose.

Oh, and btw, the cowboy reference is about as far from the truth as possible. I don't don't own a single "western" piece of clothing, my gun is a chew-toy polymer semi-auto, and I grew up in da north.

Oh yeah one more thing, if that element of surprise you talk about makes concealing so much more wonderfully tactful than openly carrying, then why do cops carry openly? Why aren't they all plain clothed and concealed, that way they have the element of surprise in case someone breaks the law? Why aren't BGs constantly stealing LEOs guns?

Wow....I just cannot believe the reasoning of your arguement.
I wish I had more time to debate the whole "why don't cops get attacked" point you are trying to make, but I think your banter has caused me to have a seizure and I cannot think straight.

I have heard and read your type of responses in many forums. While you point your finger at me, you are exactly the poster child for the ANTIs. You are the, "Hey...Look at me..I have a gun....I can carry it here.....LOOK AT ME!!!" type.

It's one thing to just carry openly and to blend in to the background, but you have an unhealthy desire to be noticed. Just look at your writings.

Anyway...thanks Tom for the invite to this forum. It nauseates me and I will go back to the other forum....

Peace..

Moderator....you may delete my account!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back