Nra vs uscca

If you are concerned with concealed carry needs, go USCCA. They have better insurance to protect yourself and modern teaching materials. NRA is still the leader in protecting our gun rights by far, and I support them but since they are so big, they fall behind in updating support for concealed carry folk. For hunting and everything else... NRA wins hands down.

Hello everyone! My name is Jon Duda and I am an NRA Certified Instructor as well as a Certified Instructor/Training Counselor for the USCCA. I will be happy to address your questions and concerns via email at [email protected]. If you are interested in becoming a USCCA Certified Instructor, I can make that happen for you too. I will try to condense the questions down to a manageable number and post the answers in a sensible way so others may benefit from the information too.

Both organizations are excellent at what they do and I do believe they are similar in some areas and differ in others. I look forward to hearing from everyone and to addressing everyone's concerns.

Be Aware, Take Care and Be Safe!

Jon Duda ...CarryOn!
CarryOn Firearms Training.net

It's a shame that the USCCA won't accept a new member who is already a NRA Certified Instructor by matching credentials. However, with a different teaching method I guess they want to ensure uniformity.
e6f8f116e73844946e17fc25ac193d40.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I am a NRA Instructor and an Appleseed Instructor in Training. I have been thinking of becoming an USCCA instructor also. Jon, what can you tell me. Things here is real slow here so I don't have a lot of cash.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I have seen many places and states that require courses given by an NRA certified Instructor to get a permit, but I never recall seeing anyone require a course by a USCCA instructor as being acceptable.

I have seen many places and states that require courses given by an NRA certified Instructor to get a permit, but I never recall seeing anyone require a course by a USCCA instructor as being acceptable.

In the State of Georgia, no course is required. I know nothing about the USCCA course. So, I need to find out if I would want teach USCCA courses. I will continue to teach NRA courses, I also will teach Appleseed.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Well, the USCCA is not really in the extortion business like the NRA. That explains it.

Well, the USCCA is not really in the extortion business like the NRA. That explains it.

The States makes the Laws, not the NRA.

Personally, I don't think we should be required to have a class to exercise our rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

The States makes the Laws, not the NRA.

Personally, I don't think we should be required to have a class to exercise our rights.

Guess who wrote into law that an NRA class would be a qualifier for a license to exercise the 2nd Amendment right? It certainly wasn't the Brady bunch. NRA-backed politicians did that.

I think the NRA had been the gold standard in training for many years and that's why states recognize them as training. Unfortunately, training has taken a back seat at the NRA. Here, in Colorado, I can teach my own classes (and I do) that are recognized. Of course, any pistol class meets requirements for obtaining a concealed handgun permit. For me to be recognized as an instructor I believe I need to keep my NRA instructor certification.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

its been awhile since ive been on here and ive been trying to catch up lol I still have not had the funds to become a USCCA instructor but I do plan on it still

Jon Duda, don't know if you are still monitoring this thread, but I just found it. This year I retired/resigned as a Certified NRA instructor. Too much nonsense at the NRA. I continue to teach handgun safety and self defense courses, but without any official sanction. Looked at the "about" page for USCCA and was disappointed. Why limit your interest and teaching to CC only? I teach and practice both, as seems good to me and the students, and have zero interest in any training material or courses that exclude open carry. Training for self defense has to be about a whole lot more than the carry method. And, just as with the NRA, throwing in an "insurance" thing merely detracts from the whole package. No thanks. But good luck anyway.

Hi Cowboy,

I am a USCCA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor. The NRA has better insurance. I see quite a few people looking for USCCA Certification and I would like everyone to know that I am in Texas and I am offering USCCA Certified Instructor Courses roughly once a month at the present time. If the arises, I will add a second class. The next class I will be posting is in late September. I can be contacted at [email protected] for anyone wishing to discuss the USCCA and its offerings. My website is carryonfirearmstraining.net. I'll be glad to help everyone with their questions. If anyone is looking to get USCCA Self-Defense Shield (insurance), I would appreciate it if they would get it off my website. It costs the cost the same as if you were to go to the USCCA website and I get a little something out of it. Thank all and I look forward to helping in anyway that I can! ...CarryOn!

Hi Cowboy,

I am a USCCA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor. The NRA has better insurance. I see quite a few people looking for USCCA Certification and I would like everyone to know that I am in Texas and I am offering USCCA Certified Instructor Courses roughly once a month at the present time. If the arises, I will add a second class. The next class I will be posting is in late September. I can be contacted at [email protected] for anyone wishing to discuss the USCCA and its offerings. My website is carryonfirearmstraining.net. I'll be glad to help everyone with their questions. If anyone is looking to get USCCA Self-Defense Shield (insurance), I would appreciate it if they would get it off my website. It costs the cost the same as if you were to go to the USCCA website and I get a little something out of it. Thank all and I look forward to helping in anyway that I can! ...CarryOn!

What do you mean by "the NRA has better insurance"?

Glad to hear it! What you want is Certified Instructor then Training Counselor. Counselors certify new Instructors. An Affiliate no longer has Instructor to the title, just Affiliate. If get a website going then become an Affiliate. It is way of make of commission on selling USCCA products from your website with little effort on your part. You can find more about that on the USCCA website.

Liberty, The "about" page of anything is a very brief and narrow view of the entity it is referring to. Besides my USCCA Certifications, I'm also NRA Certified to teach five(5) courses and I am an LTC Instructor for Texas. So, assuming I only do concealed carry stuff is just a guess on your part . I could go on with this topic but it will just get redundant, so let's move on. I understand your passion for open carry, after-all, you live in Wyoming. I'm sorry that you think others are only teaching a "carry method", really? Recommendation: Check the handgun laws for the state in which people you intend to criticize live in, before passing any kind of judgement. I'm glad you teach both and if it works for you...

Next, Insurance. Do you have any idea how much it will cost you to get through a self-defense shooting incident? Roughly $50,000 just for the attorney's retainer! I believe any responsible firearms carrier should have insurance, especially when it costs as little as $13/month. That's less than 50 cents a day. It's not a distraction it is a necessity. Carrying a firearm in public, open or concealed, brings with it a whole new set of responsibilities and calls for some changes in the way we live our everyday lives. The act of carrying a firearm, using open carry, is a no brainer. It's doing it safely and knowing the repercussions of what might happen if you need to engage that are critical, along with some others stuff (take a class to find out the particulars). What about the aftermath of a self-defense shooting? Anyway, everyone gets the point. You can't have to much training! I'll get off my soap box now but I will encourage everyone to know the facts before making any final decisions and discuss your needs with more than one instructor before choosing one and yes, I suggest checking credentials.

Liberty, I wish all the best in your endeavors! Stay safe! By the way, Wyoming is a really nice state.

Liberty, The "about" page of anything is a very brief and narrow view of the entity it is referring to. Besides my USCCA Certifications, I'm also NRA Certified to teach five(5) courses and I am an LTC Instructor for Texas. So, assuming I only do concealed carry stuff is just a guess on your part . I could go on with this topic but it will just get redundant, so let's move on. I understand your passion for open carry, after-all, you live in Wyoming. I'm sorry that you think others are only teaching a "carry method", really? Recommendation: Check the handgun laws for the state in which people you intend to criticize live in, before passing any kind of judgement. I'm glad you teach both and if it works for you...

Next, Insurance. Do you have any idea how much it will cost you to get through a self-defense shooting incident? Roughly $50,000 just for the attorney's retainer! I believe any responsible firearms carrier should have insurance, especially when it costs as little as $13/month. That's less than 50 cents a day. It's not a distraction it is a necessity. Carrying a firearm in public, open or concealed, brings with it a whole new set of responsibilities and calls for some changes in the way we live our everyday lives. The act of carrying a firearm, using open carry, is a no brainer. It's doing it safely and knowing the repercussions of what might happen if you need to engage that are critical, along with some others stuff (take a class to find out the particulars). What about the aftermath of a self-defense shooting? Anyway, everyone gets the point. You can't have to much training! I'll get off my soap box now but I will encourage everyone to know the facts before making any final decisions and discuss your needs with more than one instructor before choosing one and yes, I suggest checking credentials.

Liberty, I wish all the best in your endeavors! Stay safe! By the way, Wyoming is a really nice state.

About the insurance part, legal costs in a self-defense shooting can range wildly from a few thousand to over a million Dollars. George Zimmerman has $2.5 million debt in legal fees, for example, however, a clear-cut case that only involves a lawyer to make statements to investigators can be as "cheap" as a few thousand Dollars.

It should be up to each individual to make the choice of having an insurance for legal costs or not. After all, it's their costs and it's their life! This has not much to do with being a responsible firearms carrier, as not having insurance only impacts the carrier and his immediate family.

I still don't see the NRA having a better insurance!

Next, Insurance. Do you have any idea how much it will cost you to get through a self-defense shooting incident?

Yes indeed. I once had to shoot a man to save my life. I belong to the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network. ( Home ) which provides up front financial assistance for any kind of defensive incident, not just a DGU. They provide assistance for independent investigation, bail and the services of an attorney at any trial. Up front, not "compensation" afterwards. The cost of membership is very low, and the initial membership comes with about $200. of training material so the new member has a tremendously better idea about the "laws" around the country, and how they can best interact with the legal system if it becomes necessary.

Good luck.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back