Magazine sizes when traveling?

thewitt

Do you guys downsize your magazine size when traveling through states that limit the size of a magazine?

If I have larger magazines in my car that are empty, am I still non-compliant?

I never travel with magazines larger that 10 rounds. If you have in your possession magazines of larger capacity in some states your are in violation of their state law. Know the laws of the states you travel in. Ignorance is no excuse. It is your responsibility.

I also never travel or even use mag's with a capacity greater than 10. But that's because 45ACP is honking big to begin with.

And the mere possession of an illegal mag or gun in Calif (for example) will get you arrested and tried.

Possession is the crime, in their state, not loading.

I never travel with magazines larger that 10 rounds. If you have in your possession magazines of larger capacity in some states your are in violation of their state law. Know the laws of the states you travel in. Ignorance is no excuse. It is your responsibility.

Damn I actually agree with this. As always the correct answer is "It depends", the answer will vary by state. I had a chance to have this discussion with Massad Ayoob once and his advice was you're better off to remain CLEARLY in compliance with the law than trust a grey area. If I have cause to travel in Colorado I leave my 17 round magazines at home and carry Colorado compliant 15 rounders

Well, I guess if I ever decided to go to California or anywhere else that has a large capacity mag restriction, I won't ever take my full size Storm with me as a backup since it's stock mags are 14-rounders.

Damn I actually agree with this. As always the correct answer is "It depends", the answer will vary by state. I had a chance to have this discussion with Massad Ayoob once and his advice was you're better off to remain CLEARLY in compliance with the law than trust a grey area. If I have cause to travel in Colorado I leave my 17 round magazines at home and carry Colorado compliant 15 rounders

I never got to meet Massad Ayoob in person but I feel like I know him because he was in several of the videos used in the several CFP classes I have taken.

I find his view of public carry fascinating -- that it is a privilege not a right.

He goes on to say that as a privilege it has requirements along with it, among which is to be trained and able to shoot straight and avoid collateral damage.

His views have influenced my own.

I follow state law. I typically try to avoid going to states with low-capacity magazine restrictions, but that is not always possible.

Empty magazines make zero sense.

I guess I'll ship my 15 round magazines to my destination since I have to pass through a 10 round state on the way...

I never got to meet Massad Ayoob in person but I feel like I know him because he was in several of the videos used in the several CFP classes I have taken.

I find his view of public carry fascinating -- that it is a privilege not a right.

He goes on to say that as a privilege it has requirements along with it, among which is to be trained and able to shoot straight and avoid collateral damage.

His views have influenced my own.

To hell with the 2nd Amendment, right?

He goes on to say that as a privilege it has requirements along with it, among which is to be trained and able to shoot straight and avoid collateral damage

Cite please. I've never heard him express anything like that view

Here is a website that has a chart partway down that lists 13 states. It shows all but two states clearly spell out possession of a high capacity mag is a state law violation. Maryland & Washington are silent in state law about possession. I don’t want to play in grey area of the law so I carry 10 round mags. I use to carry one 15 round mag in pistol. Now the liberal stupidity has me carrying more ammo one 10 round mag in pistol and two spare in mag holder. So I now carry more ammo than before stupid high capacity mag law which defeats the liberals intent.

Sent from my iPhone using USA Carry

I live in South Carolina, so I don't worry about this issue.

You don’t ever travel outside of your home state and if you do, you don’t go armed? My state doesn’t have magazine restrictions either but whether or not your state has them isn’t what the discussion’s about. It’s about traveling through states that do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is a "mother state"?!?

It’s called a typo. People make those sometimes and some web forums actually let you go back and edit a post when one is found that was obviously overlooked but apparently you can’t do that around here anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back