Tell Officer of CCP when pulled over when NOT carrying?

BFloyd

Should I be mentioning to police that I have a CCP during routine traffic stops even when I am NOT carrying?

Pulled over by a Park Ranger for a burned out light bulb, while driving in a federal park, he asked "do you have any weapons on you or in the vehicle?" "No," I truthfully replied. (I have a concealed carry permit (CCP) valid for the park, but was not carrying.) My wife is in the car with me, but I never told her about obtaining CCP and didn't want to tell her as she is very anti-gun anti-2nd amendment.

After Ranger finds no wants or warrants for me, he walks back to passenger side door and passes back my license & car registration. He says that he is letting me go with a warning to fix the light that is out. He also says "you have a concealed handgun permit?" as I'm sure his computer told him. My wife is looking out her car door window at the officer and answering "No," while I nod my head to indicate yes, hoping she won't realize what's going on. As she turns to look at me, I start shaking my head to indicate no as I say "no weapons on me or in vehicle." I guess he understood the situation as he moved on to giving me helpful suggestions where I could get a replacement bulb.

Sadly, my wife also figured out what was going on, although, so far, she hasn't seemed upset by it. She simply said that she wished I had told her previously that I had a CCP. So now I wait to see if this leads to problems.

Local police pulled me over for minor violations in 2006 and 2010 and I never volunteered that I had a CCP as I wasn't carrying either time. Neither of those officers raised the issue. Maybe those officers didn't know that I had CCP, whereas updated computer databases now get more info to help keep the officers safe?

MY policy is not just no, but HELL NO.

We have mandatory notification in Ohio, WHEN ARMED. We shouldn't have THAT.

Needless to say, we have cops pushing the envelope and demanding that people notify when NOT carrying.

I obey the LAW, not cops' whims.

If you start notifying when not armed, what will they demand next? That you not carry with a round in the chamber? That you not carry AT ALL?

No thanks. Letter of the law, nothing more, nothing less.

{snip**

Needless to say, we have cops pushing the envelope and demanding that people notify when NOT carrying.

{snip**

Maybe that's happening where you live or work, but a cop demanding was NOT what happened here. I guess the Ranger was just commenting about the CCP b/c I had previously told him, truthfully, that there were no weapons on me or in the vehicle. Then, if I had changed & said that I did have a weapon, he might have hassled me or gotten angry. Anyway, I had no weapon.

Ranger was very polite and respectful as I was towards him as well.

The cops pushing the envelope sounds like situations that have happened in Maryland. People holding Virginia CCPs have really been harassed when driving through Maryland, according to various articles which I have read.

Routine traffic stop in Maryland of a Virginia driver. Then Maryland police check for wants and warrants on the driver. The Virginia Governor, Terry McAwful, who is very anti-gun, apparently has set up proceedures so that Maryland police are told that the driver has a Virginia CCP. At that stage, the Maryland police demand to search the vehicle, even when the driver tells the police that there are no weapons.

I'm don't remember how the incidents have ended, and I can't find the articles about those incidents. I do remember that the Maryland police (usually state troopers, IIRC) really were pushing the envelope, probably violating 2nd and 4th amendment rights.

Maybe that's happening where you live or work, but a cop demanding was NOT what happened here. I guess the Ranger was just commenting about the CCP b/c I had previously told him, truthfully, that there were no weapons on me or in the vehicle. Then, if I had changed & said that I did have a weapon, he might have hassled me or gotten angry. Anyway, I had no weapon.

Ranger was very polite and respectful as I was towards him as well.

The cops pushing the envelope sounds like situations that have happened in Maryland. People holding Virginia CCPs have really been harassed when driving through Maryland, according to various articles which I have read.

Routine traffic stop in Maryland of a Virginia driver. Then Maryland police check for wants and warrants on the driver. The Virginia Governor, Terry McAwful, who is very anti-gun, apparently has set up proceedures so that Maryland police are told that the driver has a Virginia CCP. At that stage, the Maryland police demand to search the vehicle, even when the driver tells the police that there are no weapons.

I'm don't remember how the incidents have ended, and I can't find the articles about those incidents. I do remember that the Maryland police (usually state troopers, IIRC) really were pushing the envelope, probably violating 2nd and 4th amendment rights.

Deanimator's answer to your question in the Title of your thread offers great advice regardless of the details of the stop you describe in your OP, or of the attitude of the cop during that stop. You should adopt Deanimator's bottom-line as your basis for determining whether or not to notify: "Letter of the law, nothing more, nothing less."

Blues

976ee441c64d2d97b50e2de240ca76de.jpg

In a "must notify" state, an armed FELON has more "Rights" according to the "law" than someone with a CCW......

Wherever I go I am armed. Even with only my fists and wits I'm better armed than 90% of the public. I would've chastised the ranger for bothering a true warrior and suggest he goes back out there and protects the picnic baskets from Yogi. I also would've reminded him that while I walked these woods I was the apex predator, not the bears or wolves, and that he should remember that should he decide to bother me again.

Hey WD.....Why would you have chastised the ranger? he did nothing wrong and what I assume neither did BFloyd based on what I read, it was just a light bulb and based on the description it all was handled well and cordially on both sides ...No need to be an AH ( just a figure of speech!! not implying!!!) to someone who is doing their job unless they are wrong of course, then it's game on. I agree with Blues and Deanimator to know the laws of your respected state and follow those laws. I have a duty to inform where I live when confronted by LEO's and it has happened to me twice in two years. Both started with may I see your drivers license and registration, They were given the items they requested as well as my CCP, yeh I was asked if I was carrying and where the weapon was. Both times ended in less than three minutes and I was told "sorry to bother you sir, have a nice day"!!!!

They were given the items they requested as well as my CCP
That could get you arrested in Ohio.

Here you must VERBALLY notify when carrying under a valid credential. People have actually been arrested and [unsuccessfully] prosecuted for OBEYING a cop's ORDER to be silent when the victim attempted to verbally notify. Were it necessary, I would shout over a cop to notify here. If he's got a problem with that, we can throw down in civil court.

When questioned by a police officer, I follow the advice given when testifying in court of when answering an officer in the military. Answer only the questions asked and nothing more. Don't volunteer any information of any kind that is not requested. Yes and no is usually sufficient.

When questioned by a police officer, I follow the advice given when testifying in court of when answering an officer in the military. Answer only the questions asked and nothing more. Don't volunteer any information of any kind that is not requested. Yes and no is usually sufficient.

Some states require you by law to inform an officer upon contact that you are armed. If you wait until the officer asked, you are technically breaking the law. I know this law is nonsensical as only the law-abiding citizen will volunteer such information. Know the law of the state you are in and act accordingly, nothing more, nothing less.

You do understand that Wild Dog writes fiction? Read some of his other posts on this forum....

Fiction! FICTION!!!

Where were you when I was fighting in the Mall War of 2010? Where you by my side taking fire at the Hot Topic, watching your buddies get taken out at the Banana Republic? Or were you too busy keeping up with the Kardashians to bother paying attention to what's important?

O3-69-1l, CVN 68

The Navy never came to our aid. We were on our own, cut off, supplies and ammunition dwindling. Faced with slow death by starvation or torture if captured by enemy combatants wishing to take over the mall and enjoy the black friday deals all for themselves, I decided to cowboy up and go out in a blaze of gunfire. Locked and loaded, I stepped out from behind the mechanical pony and lit them up. Each shot rang true, driving the enemy back. The floor had been secure and lives had been saved. After that day my colleagues called me The Wizard, because once you put a gun in my hands magic happens.

The Navy never came to our aid. We were on our own, cut off, supplies and ammunition dwindling. Faced with slow death by starvation or torture if captured by enemy combatants wishing to take over the mall and enjoy the black friday deals all for themselves, I decided to cowboy and go out in a blaze of gunfire. Locked and loaded, I stepped out from behind the mechanical pony and lit them up. Each shot rang true, driving the enemy back. The floor had been secure and lives had been saved. After that day my colleagues called me The Wizard, because once you put a gun in my hands magic happens.

Gecko 45 you are not

The Navy never came to our aid. We were on our own, cut off, supplies and ammunition dwindling. Faced with slow death by starvation or torture if captured by enemy combatants wishing to take over the mall and enjoy the black friday deals all for themselves, I decided to cowboy and go out in a blaze of gunfire. Locked and loaded, I stepped out from behind the mechanical pony and lit them up. Each shot rang true, driving the enemy back. The floor had been secure and lives had been saved. After that day my colleagues called me The Wizard, because once you put a gun in my hands magic happens.

I can't help it....I love this stuff! Comedy gold man, comedy freakin' gold.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back