Thieves targeting cars with gun-related stickers

I don't put any gun stickers on my truck. But.......
Police said gun owners should consider leaving their guns at home if they plan to visit a place that doesn't allow firearms in the building.
Another option is a gun safe that can be locked and attached to your car.
Mark Brewer said he knows guns are big targets for thieves so he takes another route to make sure his weapons aren't stolen.
"If my guns aren't welcome there, I don't want to do business with them," Brewer said.
If I were going to choose one of these methods of deterrence, then the last one is my choice When that absolutely can't be avoided, I have lock boxes.

Regardless of what you do, If they want it they will get it. I have one of those mini-safes that have a cable you put through the seat frame. Pretty good deterrent, but a pair of small bolt cutters will take care of that. Two guys can open your car door & trunk, rifle through it & be gone in a minute.
Best thing you can do is make sure you have decent car insurance so your loss will be covered.

Regardless of what you do, If they want it they will get it. I have one of those mini-safes that have a cable you put through the seat frame. Pretty good deterrent, but a pair of small bolt cutters will take care of that. Two guys can open your car door & trunk, rifle through it & be gone in a minute.
Best thing you can do is make sure you have decent car insurance so your loss will be covered.
You ever try cutting one of those cables with bolt cutters? A guy I know tried and said it didn't work. Bolt cutters are designed to cut bolts, not cables. I've tried to cut other cables with bolt cutters before, and that didn't work either. Copper cables cut easy, but not steel. I guess that's why they make specialized cable cutters for hardened steel cables.

You ever try cutting one of those cables with bolt cutters? A guy I know tried and said it didn't work. Bolt cutters are designed to cut bolts, not cables. I've tried to cut other cables with bolt cutters before, and that didn't work either. Copper cables cut easy, but not steel. I guess that's why they make specialized cable cutters for hardened steel cables.

I've never tried it, but I think it would be pretty hard. I think any gun I leave in the safe cabled to the seat frame is pretty secure. I'm not saying it's impossible to get to, but there's bound to be a lot easier pickings than mine in the parking lot. Plus it's always covered with a blanket, so it's not like it's going to stand out.

A guy on a state oriented forum here in Ohio lost the key to his lockbox or the lock broke (can't remember which). But it took him well over an hour to break the box open in his driveway with the full use of all his tools, including the bolt cutters. Now granted, he wanted to prevent harming the truck or the gun and a thief wouldn't care about those things. But a thief wouldn't have all those tools and would need to maintain some degree of stealth, so in some way the differences would somewhat cancel out. Those boxes aren't Fort Know by any stretch of the imagination, but as you point out, there are much easier pickings elsewhere. And the effort needed to open one of those boxes is very likely to draw attention a thief doesn't want.

Just occurred to me to wonder... Those targets I left in the back of the SUV with a large hole (several bullets, one spot) through the chest of the silhouette... would they be a deterrent or an attractant? :laugh:

I retired from law enforcement in 2011, but I know that the instances of firearms being stolen from cops' cars and homes tripled in Georgia between 2008 and 2011. Interviews with suspects revealed that they targeted cars with blue line decals, NRA decals, and gun decals on them, especially if they had Glock decals. While they didn't always get a gun they were looking for anything else of value, too, like laptops, iPads, and wallets or purses. In officers' cases they were also stealing uniforms and tactical gear. The point is don't advertise what you have on your car. You're just making yourself a target for criminals even if you are exercising your 1st and 2nd Amendment rights.

Cites and links please....
That or it just didn't happen..

Sent from behind Enemy Lines.

the real point is that the typical guy who breaks into cars is usually not going to be carrying bolt cutters, those cables deter the average thief and that is the purpose of those safes, to slow down the thief, almost nothing will stop a determined thief.

There are no stickers, etc., on my vehicles that are controversial to anyone, (guns, political, rights, religion, etc.) cause there are always the mental midgets and loons that will vandalize, or worse in the lave belief it strengthens their counter views.

No political signs in my yard in election season either, same reason.

A note: Also have a little sticker on side and rear windows of truck stating " If you are found breaking into this truck you will be shot, not a joke" Fair warning.

I have used a pair of common dikes and they cut fairly easy. The small cable that is commonly used is rated at 1500#. I couldn't cut it with a one handed squeeze, but not much of a problem with both hands. If you upgrade that cable to 1/4" I think it would be hard to cut.

I have used a pair of common dikes and they cut fairly easy. The small cable that is commonly used is rated at 1500#. I couldn't cut it with a one handed squeeze, but not much of a problem with both hands. If you upgrade that cable to 1/4" I think it would be hard to cut.
You must have gotten a cheap brand or something. I've tried cutting stainless steel cables with dikes/side cutters/lineman's pliers/bolt cutters and barely scratched the things. The bolt cutters did crush it, but the strands just spread out to accommodate the crushing. I was making a dog restraint system for the bed of my pickup.

Right tool for the right job. MOST BG's don't carry around multiple thread wire cable cutters. Of course now that been in discussion..........

You must have gotten a cheap brand or something. I've tried cutting stainless steel cables with dikes/side cutters/lineman's pliers/bolt cutters and barely scratched the things. The bolt cutters did crush it, but the strands just spread out to accommodate the crushing. I was making a dog restraint system for the bed of my pickup.

These look much sharper than the pair of cutters than I used. Mine were just an old pair of channel lock dikes and I had to squeeze very hard with both hands. Double the cable diameter and then it would be a deterrent.

These look much sharper than the pair of cutters than I used. Mine were just an old pair of channel lock dikes and I had to squeeze very hard with both hands. Double the cable diameter and then it would be a deterrent.
Don't know what he was cutting either. Looked like one of those computer security cables. I've always been somewhat doubtful of those. I don't in any way doubt that the quality of these cables could vary quite a bit. God knows it wouldn't be the first time. I can only relate my own personal experience and the experience of the guy on the gun forum here in Ohio. I don't know what brand his lock box was and the cable I was using was just stainless steel cable from Ace Hardware or Lowes (think it was Ace). I can't pass any absolute proclamations either way, but I can say for certain that it may not be as easy as many people think. But, just as you've reported, I think we can also say that it may not be as hard as some people think either. The only way I could know for sure is to try cutting one of my lockbox cables, but since I'm unemployed and have a broken back right now, I can't afford to be buying new lockboxes.

I use to be into the whole sticker thing on my car. But I started seeing cars get vandalized because of some organization they associate with. For example, I am a Clemson student. So if I go to USC territory with a Clemson sticker on my car, it just takes one radical USC fan to ruin my trip. So I just leave my car nice and clean :)

I use to be into the whole sticker thing on my car. But I started seeing cars get vandalized because of some organization they associate with. For example, I am a Clemson student. So if I go to USC territory with a Clemson sticker on my car, it just takes one radical USC fan to ruin my trip. So I just leave my car nice and clean :)

I knew a guy who parked in a largely African American community with a gigantic Confederate flag attached to his truck. He was quite surprised when it got vandalized!

I knew a guy who parked in a largely African American community with a gigantic Confederate flag attached to his truck. He was quite surprised when it got vandalized!
Yeah...I mean sometimes people just ask for stuff.

That reminds me of an unrelated event where a black former Clemson football player picks up a hitchhiker who was wearing an old jacket with a confederate flag, hoping to tell the guy off for being a racist. When he asks about the jacket, he is surprised when the guy gives him this super long story about the sentimental value behind the jacket and how it has been passed down for years since one of his great-great-great-(not sure how many greats)-grandfathers was a confederate soldier in the Civil War.

did someone color in the book in clemson's library yet?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back