Thieves targeting cars with gun-related stickers

telpinaro

Haven't seen this posted yet. Just another reason to avoid gun-free zones.

Link Removed

No idea which forum this goes in... sorry if it's in the wrong place.

Would be good to see if this is a pattern seen in other places.

I had wondered if, when we finally were finally allowed to exercise our right to have our firearms in our cars on campus (even if we cannot carry) whether it would lead to increased break-ins looking for firearms. I imagine, however, that most thieves will not expect to find much in the way of firearms in the cars parked in the faculty lot ;<).

I have not heard anything to suggest such events have increased.

I had wondered if, when we finally were finally allowed to exercise our right to have our firearms in our cars on campus (even if we cannot carry) whether it would lead to increased break-ins looking for firearms. I imagine, however, that most thieves will not expect to find much in the way of firearms in the cars parked in the faculty lot ;<).

I haven't heard anything anywhere else either. I'll be keeping an eye out now, though.

I looked around the Internet and it does appear some cities may have issues. However, where I live folks such as me who drive a truck have all kinds of pro-gun, right wing stuff. I have NRA, Glock, Liberty Counsel and others on my rear window. Now, my wife will not allow anything on her SUV but the AAA sticker. A few years ago we had a few stories going around on the internet but they proved to be unfounded. I would think it very likely that IS occurring. Thanks for the post.

there are 3 simple solutions to this perceived problem
1. do not put gun related stickers onto your car
2. do not leave your guns in your car unless your have some sort of method to secure them from smash and grabbers
3. ignore the non legal no gun signs and do not go to a place that legally prohibits guns.
I know someone will say something like going to some places cannot be avoided, the answer to that is make a choice, either leave your gun at home or don't go

2. do not leave your guns in your car unless your have some sort of method to secure them from smash and grabbers
3. ignore the non legal no gun signs and do not go to a place that legally prohibits guns.
I know someone will say something like going to some places cannot be avoided, the answer to that is make a choice, either leave your gun at home or don't go

I believe this about covers it. The same principle was in effect years ago when I was a very avid scuba diver, those who posted scuba diving stickers or whatnot on their cars and trucks while parked near the ocean got broken into when diving as the thieves knew they were underwater? Criminals are simple but occasionally can put 2+2 together.

I've been to Hyatt gun store. Nice place, not so nice location. Only sticker I have is my NRA decal and that may be coming off soon.

I retired from law enforcement in 2011, but I know that the instances of firearms being stolen from cops' cars and homes tripled in Georgia between 2008 and 2011. Interviews with suspects revealed that they targeted cars with blue line decals, NRA decals, and gun decals on them, especially if they had Glock decals. While they didn't always get a gun they were looking for anything else of value, too, like laptops, iPads, and wallets or purses. In officers' cases they were also stealing uniforms and tactical gear. The point is don't advertise what you have on your car. You're just making yourself a target for criminals even if you are exercising your 1st and 2nd Amendment rights.

I have no stickers of any kind on my car. I leave nothing in plain sight inside my car except for a towel stuffed in a cup in a cup holder. I don't even wash my car and I have a locking gas cap as well.

You losers might as well move on and there's a Mercedes parked over there. :biggrin:

I see no reason to have gun stickers on a car. I do not believe in broadcasting that I own guns. I carry concealed and tell very few people that I own a gun. Guns are not play toys and should be treated with respect. If you want to advertise something, advertise you are a good cook or that your lawn is growing very green. :victory:

I only have a NRA sicker on my truck but above it I have a One Big A$$ Mistake America which most people tend to focus on!!! :lol:

We have no stickers or decals of any kind on any of our vehicles. Let 'em guess. But if going in to a gun show that is posted, which is about the only time I leave mine in the vehicle, it is in a gun safe with a cable locked to the seat frame.

Firearm is always in a locked safe when left in a locked car. That does not stop the break-in. Unfortunately I do have to work.

I remember reading a thread or article some time ago where thieves would find out where and when shooting competitions were taking place. They would walk the parking lots at the club or range where the competition was taking place. Since members at the clubs didn't know the visiting shooters, they weren't suspicious of extra people in the lots. The thieves would place a small mark or sticker on cars in the parking lots where the owner wouldn't necessarily notice them.

If the competition was local, they would follow the cars or cruise neighborhoods to spot the cars. They then knew which homes had guns and would break in later to steal them. If it was a regional or national competition, they would cruise the hotel lots to spot the cars and break in, figuring the guns would be in the trunk as the owners might be uncomfortable carrying them through the hotel lobby, even in cases. They also knew that if it was a regional or national competition, the guns would be high end and expensive.

The moral of the story is...be aware when attending any gun related events.

As for advertising with any stickers, whether NRA or manufacturer, DON'T. You're letting scumbags know you have guns. You open yourself up to the scenario above while at home or traveling.

In addition, my area, we are close to the border crossings with Canada, which is very liberal and anti-gun. There are nice beaches, summer cottages, and a fairly short ride to Toronto, offering Broadway quality theaters, Major League Baseball, etc. I know of people who shoot and proudly displayed NRA stickers on their vehicles. Notice I stated "displayed" in the past tense. They were questioned vigorously at the Customs/Immigration booth about their guns and whether they had them in the vehicle. Then they were pulled over for secondary inspections EVERY TIME they crossed the border. They weren't stupid enough to have their guns, magazines or even an extra bullet in the car or truck, so no harm, no foul....but they just got tired of being detained EVERY TIME.
Not long after, they took the gun related stickers off of their cars, and guess what.....never even got asked or pulled over since, not in years!

Again, never advertise.... and remember this acronym... CANT... "Carry Always Never Tell".

Of course I do have a Molon Labe license plate frame and sticker on my car so I might stand out a bit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back