Paranoid--First Time Carry

MonRiver

I'm carrying for the first time today while out shipping with my wife (we're in a store now.) SR9 in a SHTF IWB holster.

I'm paranoid someone is going to see that I'm carrying. My wife says it's fine, but I'm constantly thinking about it.

How do I overcome this?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

+1. Carry everyday until it becomes hard to be without it. Eventually carrying becomes like having your cell phone - or feeling naked when you don't.

Like Kala said! The longer you carry the more confident you will be and latter it just becomes natural. I started last spring!

Three weeks from today is when I was blessed with my CCW/CPL.....just wear your piece until it is second nature...it is to the point when the hubby and I are out, he actually asks me if I have mine with me...lol You will get used to it!!!

I've been wearing mine long enough that I didn't become concious of it until I saw this thread...amd I'm practically laying on it.

+1 to wearing it everyday.

Yep, it just takes time. Like anything else, you get better at it with practice. It may help, in the meantime, to remind yourself you're not doing anything wrong and consider what might happen if anyone did see, consider how you'd react, practice being polite. Ask your wife (and your kids if you have any) to tell you (quietly) any time you're printing or worse - sometimes it helps just to know that someone would tell you, so you can stop worrying about it. If you're constantly checking on it, that's going to be more of a giveaway than a slight lump would be.

It is almost impossible not to print. Especially if the person doing the checking knows you carry.
I don't worry about it a lot. The last couple of months I switched to carrying my TLE II. It prints a little bit but as far as I know, no one has noticed.
And I'm frequently up in front of people talking and writing on a whiteboard and stuff like that.

I had to dress up (dress shirt, slacks, tucked, etc.) about 6 months ago, one guy noticed the front holster clip and asked what it was.
I told him it was an insulin pump. In case it ever happens again I have a better response for next time involving extra support for my Johnson.

Thanks for all the encouragement.

It's become more comfortable as the day progresses. I'm "slightly" less aware. I have checked in the mirror at every store bathroom so far. I'd say if I noticed something like what is on my belt on another person, I'd assume a phone our other electronic. But, I highly doubt I'd ever notice something so slight.

I do feel a lot better about my XCEl choice as well. I was afraid I choose too large of a pistol to carry. Doesn't seem to be an issue--and I always have my S&W 642 if I need a smaller weapon.

I may start looking for another holster option for OWN.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

when you more confident practiced and comfortable with taking on the responsibilities ..as you grow more with practice and mindfulness your confidence build and you shouldn't feel 'paranoid' if you feel that way take the little steps learn the finesse and practice until you comfortable

Keep in mind also that most people are completely unaware of what's going on around them. Nobody is looking around to see what the people around them have on their belt. The only people that are aware are the people that are carrying just like you, and they are probably minding their own business too

I second "momstar" comments.
I had to get rid of the feeling I was doing something wrong! Was constantly touching my gun to make sure it was still there.
After wearing it every time I go out, I got over all this in about a month. I'm happy with my gear. Crossbreed Super Tuck, Crossbreed belt with Velcro (so gun holder is not visible on belt), Crossbreed single mag holder - for my Glock 23 and Galco ankle holster for my Ruger LCR.
I carry sometimes in my house just to get used to the weight and feeling. I an always see a print myself, but I'm sure no one else even notices because they don't know what they are looking for, but you are self aware.
It is such a good feeling to to realize there is no concern about being a helpless victim.

that's how i got comfortable with carrying ..i carried around my own house first while waiting for my permit to arrive and practiced drawing and dryfiring etc etc....i still check myself in mirror to make sure i don't print too bad but i know i'm going to print a bit and it don't bother me cuz i know most folks don't even notice

i use a crossbreed iwb at 3:15-30ish and wear baggy shirt or a tank top with a loose blouse over it in summer ........winter it's easier to conceal but still i don't worry about printing a bit which is only really noticeable if i'm bending and reaching and then i just watch who is around me ......

Like everyone else said, just keep on carrying consistently. I have to open carry until I can get my CHL and it's pretty uncommon to OC in Eugene Oregon. Lets just say that I had to leap a nervousness barrier, but after three months I'm quite confident and I'm not even nervous at all anymore. Yours is hidden so don't sweat it. Also, people rarely even notice my OPEN CARRIED full size XDm .45, so I highly doubt anyone will notice your concealed piece.

Like everyone else said, just keep on carrying consistently. I have to open carry until I can get my CHL and it's pretty uncommon to OC in Eugene Oregon. Lets just say that I had to leap a nervousness barrier, but after three months I'm quite confident and I'm not even nervous at all anymore. Yours is hidden so don't sweat it. Also, people rarely even notice my OPEN CARRIED full size XDm .45, so I highly doubt anyone will notice your concealed piece.
Watch yourself down there, unlicensed carry in some municipalities require your pistol to be unloaded. Oregon's laws are not fully preempted. Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back