Wisconsin permit holders carrying in MN, KS, NE, WY, or VA?

GunClasses.Net

Here's a question...

Because Wisconsin carry permits are NOT recognized in MN, KS, NE, WY, or VA, (and I know a lot of you come to MN to fish and to watch the Packers beat the Vikings) ... but a MN non-resident permit would add those states for you ... what if I found a way to partner with instructors and gun ranges in Wisconsin, to give you the training you need to get a MN non-resident permit? Would you be interested?

The cost of the training AND the application to a MN sheriff would be, in total, between $125-175. I think we have a way to potentially make this work, if we find ranges that will cooperate.

Does this interest anyone in Wisconsin...? Why or why not?

Grant Vlasak

I could go to Sand Creek Firearms Training and get my non resident Minnesota there for $60 plus the application fee and my ammo costs. They also come here. He also does Utah non resident along with the Wisconsin resident CCL for $60 plus the $35 fingerprint and photo fee (paid to private vendors, not the CCL instructor), your prices would be a bit high for competiton in St Croix County.

The cost of the training AND the application to a MN sheriff would be, in total, between $125-175. Grant Vlasak

I could go to Sand Creek Firearms Training and get my non resident Minnesota there for $60 plus the application fee and my ammo costs. They also come here. He also does Utah non resident along with the Wisconsin resident CCL for $60 plus the $35 fingerprint and photo fee (paid to private vendors, not the CCL instructor), your prices would be a bit high for competiton in St Croix County.

Looks to me like gunclasses is combining the cost of the class with the cost of the application to get the $125-175 range. It might be fairly close to what you are looking at tricolordad.

For example, Hennepin County Sheriff charges $100 permit application fee...Washington County Sheriff charges $75 application fee.

In the case that the sherriff charges an additional fee, i can just mail in the Utah I already paid for and pay a total of $90. $45 for utah fee, $35 for fingerprint and photograph... Beats that Hennepin County and Washington County option. i'm right across the river from you and sand creek is already here. You're right on par with Fleet Farm's prices, you'd have to go lower and be in between them somewhere and take out ads. We also don't need range time for a Wisconsin resident and Utah non resident (which gives us MN), thats a plus in most people's eyes, especially active shooters and veterans, who don't need it.

So, if I hear you correctly - what you're saying is that if you live in WI and want to carry in MN, you would simply do Utah non-resident for $80 (45+35) or $90, in total - all said and done... versus a MN non-resident permit, for which the application fee itself would be $100 (maybe $75 if applying through Anoka county) -- and training cost would be added to that, so, WI residents would pay less to apply for UT non-res to carry in MN, than a MN non-res; is that correct?

I live in St Croix County and work in MN. The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit has an application fee for non-residents of $51 since April 1, 2012.

As mentioned, one must complete the Utah-specific course before applying, a course that requires no range time. Of course there is a fee for the course. You cannot just apply without the course and they require the instructor's red stamp on the application.

The SCC Sheriff's department does fingerprinting for free, passport-type pics are less than $10 at Walmart. So for $61 or so, plus the cost of the course one can get Utah. This assumes you already have WI.

If you only want to carry in MN either a MN non-rersident or UT non-resident will work. If you want to carry farther away, then the answer is different. I travel to Ohio and WV where neither WI or MN is recognized. So I have Utah which is recognized. I also travel to Kansas where my WI and Utah permits are not recognized but my MN non-resident is recognized.

As far as cost, I took a combined MN/Utah course that included range fees (bring your own ammo and handgun) for $100. Then paid Washington County $65 to get MN. Then Utah $61. So for around $165 I could have gone with one for about what you are proposing.

The Utah course requires no range time. So it can be done in 4 hours, get your application stamped and move on. MN would be about the same but then add on the range time.

Does your cost include range fees and targets?

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the water too much.

I live in St Croix County and work in MN. The Utah Concealed Firearm Permit has an application fee for non-residents of $51 since April 1, 2012.

As mentioned, one must complete the Utah-specific course before applying, a course that requires no range time. Of course there is a fee for the course. You cannot just apply without the course and they require the instructor's red stamp on the application.

The SCC Sheriff's department does fingerprinting for free, passport-type pics are less than $10 at Walmart. So for $61 or so, plus the cost of the course one can get Utah. This assumes you already have WI.

If you only want to carry in MN either a MN non-rersident or UT non-resident will work. If you want to carry farther away, then the answer is different. I travel to Ohio and WV where neither WI or MN is recognized. So I have Utah which is recognized. I also travel to Kansas where my WI and Utah permits are not recognized but my MN non-resident is recognized.

As far as cost, I took a combined MN/Utah course that included range fees (bring your own ammo and handgun) for $100. Then paid Washington County $65 to get MN. Then Utah $61. So for around $165 I could have gone with one for about what you are proposing.

The Utah course requires no range time. So it can be done in 4 hours, get your application stamped and move on. MN would be about the same but then add on the range time.

Does your cost include range fees and targets?

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the water too much.

Wow i hadn't thought about the $10 Walmart photos and I live less than a mile from the New Richmond Walmart...I know another way to get fingerprinted by the SCC Sherriff's dept lmao

Depends upon WHERE one wants to travel. Use the map under concealed carry resources to see which permits best match YOUR travel norms. Oh, and LAWS CHANGE, sometimes favorably, sometimes not. Do yourself a favor and reasearch AGAIN right before you travel.

For my resident permit (not Wisconsin) the Utah non-resident permit offered the best match to my travel patterns (YMMV).

Some instructors are certified to teach "required" courses of more than one state, thus increasing their own revenue AND offering additional choices to their students.

If you get a MN non resident permit, do you pick any county you want to apply? If so, do you have a list of fees? Just wondering how long it would take get the permit after application. My brothers and I might be interested in taking the class. Do you have a minimum number of people needed to give a class?

WI Permit recognition/reciprocity updates

MN – none (Utah non-res is the way to go)

KS – starting July 1 2013 (new law) KS recognizes all valid state permits
Read Kansas SB 21 here http://kslegislature.org/li/b2013_14/measures/documents/sb21_00_0000.pdf

NE – As of 1/11/2013 WI CCW permits are now recognized by Nebraska.
Link Removed

WY – WY is still awaiting a signed letter from our AG stating WI recognizes WY permits. (Absent this official letter WY will not approve WI permit holders to carry in WY.)
Link Removed Question #9 relevant text “The current statute has resulted in a formal confirmation process with other states. Once the Division confirms which other states’ permit Wyoming honors or has reciprocity...” Can not find now, but I saw another document that states WY needs an official letter form AG's office stating WI recognizes WY.

VA – just approved WI as a recognized permit. VA res permits are not valid in WI only VA Non-resident permits since they use NICS for background checks.
Virginia State Police - Concealed Handgun - Reciprocity and Recognition

Additional Info: AL is in the process of completing (sent to committee for House and Senate changes for reconciliation) SB 286, which will recognize all state permits and move AL to a NICS system background check, the latter will allow for WI to recognize AL permits issued or renewed after the law is implemented.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back