wepons banned signs????

arcticcat1989

So Im getting conflicting responses from different people. In the state of Minnesota, if a business posts a sign stating "no firearms allowed." is that a sign that I legally have to obide by? Or can I still enter lawfully and just be asked to leave?

Simply put, You are lawful until asked to leave and refuse. I warn being involved in test cases, but as for now, you are not breaking any laws, simply not respecting the wishes of the management of the establishment.

The way it was explained when we took our PTC class, if you see the sign, even if it's not legal size etc, it is advised to see the point they are trying to make. On the flip side, if you're concerned about people trolling the parking lots looking for people unloading 'valuables' into their vehicles, a handgun in your case.. Yes, you can be asked to leave if they see your firearm and choose to confront you. Worst case, if you refuse to leave, they may call the police and you'll be written a request for a $25.00 donation.

Personally, I haven't encountered the situation yet, and if patronizing a new place, I'll troll past the front door if possible to look for a sign banning them or not.

Now, for the sign to be 'legal' is must be of a specific size, 187 sq inches if I recall, and opposing color block letter/background. but again, the their point is being made with any signage, I'll opt to not be one to cause problems etc, so I'll go elsewhere in most cases..

I just try to make it a habit not to shop at a place that could be a problem when carrying. Usually I can find what I need from companies that do not block my right to carry.

So Im getting conflicting responses from different people. In the state of Minnesota, if a business posts a sign stating "no firearms allowed." is that a sign that I legally have to obide by? Or can I still enter lawfully and just be asked to leave?

Do yourself a favor and look up the laws IN YOUR STATE to find out what to do or not to do.

You must be asked to leave, then refuse and wait for the cops, then you will get a $25.00 ticket.....But you'd be stupid to enter the business in the first place....if they don't want "my/our kind" then so be it....there are plenty of places with NO signs....I really haven't even seen more than a couple in the entire state.

Im not one to try and disrespect anyones wishes.. I simply ask due to that fact that when I am out and about stopping at my usual places that do not have signage, I will sometimes stop at places that are usually not on the list just to check out. kind of a hassle to walk back to the truck and I dont exactly like the fact of leaving a firearm unattended.

If there is no signage posted on or near the front entrance your ok to carry. I know Bestbuy is not posted, but if someone sees your weapon and complains they will ask you to leave. I have carried at my local BB and as long as my weapon stayed concealed there was no problem.

The wife and I went to the movie the other week and they had the sign up in the window, well I was there and I wasn't about to go put my weapon in my truck in the parking lot, so I just had it conceal walk in look at wolverine and the wife and I left.

In some states signs carry the weight of law, and in others they don't. In some states, (such as Texas with its requirements for 30.06 signs) the signs have to be a certain size. In any event, regardless of whether the signs are regulation size or carry the force of law, if there's one posted, the business owners are making it quite clear how they feel about people carrying in their establishment.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 4

My understanding is that it's a petty misdemeanor if you legally have your weapon and you are asked to leave--when the police arrive, you can get a ticket for a petty misdemeanor. If you do leave when asked, there is nothing they can do. There are, however, many "gun free" zones; make sure you know what they are. And, the sign has to be a certain height and width, and has to be certain colors. It can't be a black & white photo copied 8 1/s X11 sheet of paper--has to be bigger. Just what I have been told when I took my conceal and carry class.

I know MN was trying to make violations like this either a MISD or a Gross Misdemeanor in MN...not sure where that's going. Any one have any further information on what MN is trying to do in the realm of private businesses putting up these signs and when police are called?

If there is no signage posted on or near the front entrance your ok to carry. I know Bestbuy is not posted, but if someone sees your weapon and complains they will ask you to leave. I have carried at my local BB and as long as my weapon stayed concealed there was no problem.

I'll have to look into that, I've OC'd in BestBuy(s) many times and not a word was ever said.

Establishments who don't recognise my rights don't get my business - simple as that! There's plenty of businesses out there that are willing to cater to law-abiding gun owners.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back