Walking around with gun in hand..............

John23

I don't know, everyone I know personally seems to be against me. A man was walking down the street with his hand gun in his hand, just strolling along like it was a normal day. Eventually he put it back in his open carry holster. I called the police on him.

Is that really not that big of a deal?
I open carry sometimes, but never have I ever felt there was any acceptable reason to have your gun out of holster in hand when there was no visible danger. People were walking around him, no one was running to or away from him. But still, so weird.

Edit: To be clear, this is in a residential neighborhood in Reno.

I would have been very suspicious of that--a gun should not be removed from a holster --especially in public --unless it's intended to be used.

I don't know, everyone I know personally seems to be against me. A man was walking down the street with his hand gun in his hand, just strolling along like it was a normal day. Eventually he put it back in his open carry holster. I called the police on him.

I open carry sometimes, but never have I ever felt there was any acceptable reason to have your gun out of holster in hand when there was no visible danger. People were walking around him, no one was running to or away from him. But still, so weird.

I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea. Perfectly legal, I would think, but not smart. People get freaky enough when others OC, walking around with the weapon in hand is just asking for trouble.

I did OC here in NM. for about 3 wks. but never in hand. Only one strange look from an old guy (I am 73) and he just looked. I do not like these that are just trying to push the law tot he limit. No need to caryy an assault type rifle down town just to prove you can. Save it for the range. I now carry concealed, and love the comfort of knowing I have a choice.

I would call the police about a person walking carrying a gun in hand. HOWEVER, the Washington State Supreme Court has ruled that if the firearm is pointed in a safe direction, and there are no other circumstances indicating that unlawful use of the weapon is about to occur, that carrying a firearm in hand is perfectly legal in Washington state (State v. Casad) - obviously does not apply in Nevada.

You did the right thing IMHO. That would be considering 'Brandishing' under nearly all circumstances. A weapon should be holstered, unless intended to be used. Anything else, outside a gun range, would be considered a threat. He could have been shot as a threat. You may have saved the dumb a$$'s life.

I don't know if it is legal or not, but to me, at the very least, it demonstrates a complete lack of common sense. I agree completely that one doesn't draw a firearm in public unless you intend to use it. This only serves as fodder for the anti-gun side. They would drool at the possibility of getting that imagery on video. I would certainly believe the possibility that they would stage something like this so they could claim "Look Look..here is a crazy gun owner...See?... we told you so!"

I would never unholster a weapon in public, unless I was thisclose to needing to use it. First, there is no open carry in Arkansas. Second, brandishing. Third, concerned citizens would certainly have the right to call the authorities for many reasons; fear being one of them.

As a somewhat over the top analogy of the fear that action would instill in antis; imagine someone taking a stick of dynamite out of their pocket, and lighting the fuse, with witnesses seeing the event. You'd run for cover. Hell, I would.

It should be treated like a samurai sword, if its drawn it must draw blood. I would have not seen it any other way then a clear and present threat. You did the right thing.

Perhaps he had just purchased it? Who knows what his reason was, but IMHO, if he had a holster, the gun should have been in it if he was in public. I've been asked by friendlies to show them my gun. Not a chance, not ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back