Trip to Wisconsin

SR9

Planning a trip to Wisconsin in the spring. Want to bring my gun (s) to target shoot with my kin on private grounds. I have a concealed carry from De. and Pa. What should I be on the lookout for? Or, should I be ok?

In order to comply with the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act any time you are within 1000' of a school and on public property (street or sidewalk) you will have to unload your gun and lock it in a container.

Also, it's difficult to answer your question regarding carrying/transporting the gun on the way to Wisconsin without knowing your state of origin, method of travel, and states you will be traveling through.

Get a Utah concealed carry permit. It will not help you in Illinois but it will in Wisconsin., and 34? other states. Not sure what other states you are traveling through but it's easy to look up. Illinois requires you to have your gun secured in the trunk in a case. , unloaded and the ammo separate from the gun.

No, it doesn't if the person has a permit or license from their state of residence.

Your right, partially, he can not exit his vehicle without storing his weapon in the trunk. So gas stops and rest stops get tricky. This is not a state to play around in. They were forced into CC and will not be kind to you if they catch you in an infraction. Just a warning.

Your right, partially, he can not exit his vehicle without storing his weapon in the trunk. So gas stops and rest stops get tricky. This is not a state to play around in. They were forced into CC and will not be kind to you if they catch you in an infraction. Just a warning.

Wrong. Please read your own state laws before posting erroneous information.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497&ChapterID=39

(430 ILCS 66/40)
Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

(430 ILCS 66/65)
Sec. 65. Prohibited areas.
(b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) of this Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.

What the statute requires the non-resident to do to exit the vehicle is to place the gun in a "case" which can be a glove compartment, console, or a pistol case such that the firearm is concealed when the non-resident exits the vehicle and the non-resident locks the vehicle.

Wisconsin does not honor the Delaware permit, but does honor your Pennsylvania permit. Open carry is also legal, though infrequently practiced, and in Milwaukee or Madison would probably invite unwanted attention (I neither agree with nor am happy about that, just stating the fact). Up in the north woods parts of the state or when hunting you will see it, and it is not remarked on. Though not perfect, Wisconsin is largely a gun friendly state.
Navy is absolutely correct about the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act. Any permit from outside the state you’re currently in (this applies everywhere), even though honored by the state you’re in, does not clear/exempt you from the 1000 foot buffer from any school as required by the GFSZA. Only a permit issued by the state you are currently in does this. This makes moving about with respect to the federal law very problematic, as it is virtually impossible to transit any urban/suburban area (or even a small town) without unknowingly penetrating that 1000 foot bubble. I have spoken with a number of police officers from different agencies (local city police, state police, and some sheriff departments) around the state of Wisconsin, and not one of them said they would make an arrest based solely on this. Their reasoning was always something like this: If you have an out of state permit honored by Wisconsin, and are otherwise not up to any other mischief, you have not violated Wisconsin law by getting into that 1000 foot bubble with a handgun on your person. That was just friendly talk however, and definitely not legal advice. You need to realize/understand that an arrest could be made under those circumstances. Again, this is not a situation peculiar to Wisconsin.
With respect to transiting Illinois, this from Handgunlaw.us:
Section 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her
vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as
evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of
residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle
unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in
accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act. (Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
What this means: If you have a valid permit from the state in which you reside, you may keep your firearm on your person or otherwise in your vehicle, as long as you do not get out of your vehicle, for any reason, with it. If you don’t have a permit issued by your state of residence (if your state requires permits) then you need to comply with Federal laws regarding transporting your firearms through Illinois. My advice: Gas up in Indiana before getting to Illinois, drive through Illinois without stopping until you get to Wisconsin, and under no circumstances drive through the City of Chicago (even on the interstate).
Enjoy your trip to Wisconsin! Going to do any spring turkey hunting?

I understand Md. and Il. neither one honor my 2 valid C/C permits, but I was counting on the federal transport laws to get me through those states. I have no plans of stopping in either state for any reason. I will be able to make it from De. to the Ind. border in 1 tank of gas and from there to Wi. on the next,. I will be traveling in a pickup with a lockable gun vault in the console and a lockable tool box in the rear bed. I've made the trip a couple of times before, but did not carrying then.
Hope to do some target shooting with my son and grandsons.

Any suggestions or comment are welcome.

Thanks for the info guys and gals. I have printed copies of both MD. & IL., laws for firearms transport and the federal law. Seems if I carry the pistol unloaded and locked in a gun case or vault in a place that does not permit access from the drivers area (like my locked tool box in bed of truck) I should be ok in those 2 states. As for the rest of the states I'll pass through, I'm covered by my De. and Pa. permits. I am covered by my Pa. permit in Wisconsin also. I will also be using my 10 round mags. instead of my 17 rounders.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back