traveling to tennessee

dustwebbs

i have a question about this im going to a park for a family reunion this weekend. I guess my question is can i carry there.

39-17-1311. Carrying Weapons on Public Parks, Playgrounds, Civic Centers and Other Public
Recreational Buildings and Grounds.
(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go
armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned
ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building
facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or
instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.
(B) (1) The Provisions of Subsection (a) Shall Not Apply to the Following Persons:
(H) Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, while
within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway
or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or
instrumentality thereof, except as otherwise provided in subsection (d);
(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (b)(1)(H), any municipality or county may prohibit, by resolution
adopted by a majority vote of its legislative body, persons authorized to carry a handgun pursuant to
§ 39-17-1351, from possessing the handgun while within or on a public park that is owned or
operated by a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. If a legislative body elects to prohibit
the possession of handguns within a park, the prohibition shall apply to the entire park,
notwithstanding subdivision (b)(1)(H). If the area is jointly owned or operated by municipalities or
counties, then a resolution adopted by a majority vote of all affected legislative bodies, voting
individually, is necessary for the municipalities or counties to prohibit persons authorized to carry a
handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351 from possessing the handgun while within the park.

OK thanks I was thinking that but would rather get locals opinion

Sent from my XT907 using USA Carry mobile app

OK thanks I was thinking that but would rather get locals opinion

Sent from my XT907 using USA Carry mobile app

If you state has reciprocity with TN then TN considers it a TN permit while you are in the state and therefore subject to our laws. That being said there is no distinction between concealed or open carry so you will have those two options. In the rural areas open carry is not a big deal and you won't get many strange or dirty looks but if you are in a park area keep in mind that there may be "out-of-towners" that may give you a dirty look or call 911 and report a MWAG so your best bet is to keep it low keyed and just blend in. I'm all for open carry but when in doubt, keep it out of sight. No sense in drawing unwanted attention to yourself when your just trying to relax with the family and have a good time.

You didn't mention where in TN you were visiting but the same SOP goes for the bigger cities such as Knoxville, Nashville or Chattanooga and don't visit Memphis after dark unless you and your friends are armed. Last but not least, have a good time and spend lots of money. We need it.

You will need to check the county / city laws where you are going. When they changed the law to allow carry in parks they left it open for local governments to opt out.

I am not sure where Heirman rock wood area is. Do you possibly mean Harriman and Rockwood (between Knoxville and Crossville)? If so I do not imagine they opted out in that area. The only county I am aware of was Williamson county. Beware of just looking for it to be posted. I have been in some parks where I knew it was illegal, but did not see it posted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using USA Carry mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back