Traveling through Georgia to Hartsfield–Jackson airport.

karina_seattle

I will be driving through Georgia to the Hartsfield–Jackson airport soon. I will be flying to WA, where I have a concealed pistol license. I read through several gun law websites and they state that as long as the person posses a valid concealed pistol license in another state Georgia allows driving with a handgun in a car. I want to check in my gun at the airport. I read all the TSA regulations and have a good case I'll be putting it into. I just wanted to make sure that I won't be breaking any laws by getting out of the car and carrying it into the airline check in point. I apologize if that's a stupid question. I'll be flying with my newborn daughter, so I highly prefer not to get in trouble :)

Read up the summaries of individual state laws at handgunlaw.us. Georgia doesn't honor permits from Washington. No permit is needed in Georgia to carry a loaded firearm inside your own car, openly or concealed. If the car is not your own, you must have explicit permission from the owner. You will be breaking the law if you leave the car while carrying a loaded firearm without a recognized permit. Airport check-in of firearms is always unloaded and you are not breaking the law by transporting an unloaded firearm (i.e., enclosed in a case and unloaded - O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126), inside a car or outside.

Hopefully not too late for your through Georgia. I would insure that the gun is unloaded and secured prior to getting to the airline check-in inside the terminal, curbside check-in of a firearm is not approved on any of the airlines I use. As I have recently discovered you may have the magazines loaded and placed inside the hard plastic case with a lock. I have two TSA approved locks on my Pelican case and put my filled Glock case inside. I also added the magazine loader to the top of the magazines to cover the exposed primer of the top round. The firearm, two loaded magazines, and a 20 round box of Hornady Critical Defense rounds fill up the Glock hard case to prevent movement while being "handled" by the airlines. Now depending on where you are going you may need to adjust magazine capacity and hollowpoint rounds.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back