Traveling through Chicago with pistol

figelfixit

I have heard you can drive through Illinois and Chicago with your firearms locked up and in your trunk, but you would be considered breaking the law if you were to stay overnight in a hotel as opposed to just driving straight through and not stopping for any extended period of time. Anyone from Illinois? or anyone know what the laws are pertaining to simple transport through the state?

I couldn't tell you now that they have legalized concealed carry but to tell you the truth I wouldn't go to that communist crime ridden city for anything.

Illinois has changed the conceal carry while in your vehicle.

Details can be found on the Illinois state police web site. Under the heading."Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?"

The reply is as follows.

"Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately. "

"If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using USA Carry mobile app

I have heard you can drive through Illinois and Chicago with your firearms locked up and in your trunk, but you would be considered breaking the law if you were to stay overnight in a hotel as opposed to just driving straight through and not stopping for any extended period of time. Anyone from Illinois? or anyone know what the laws are pertaining to simple transport through the state?

google FOPA, the operative and most important words to heed are TRAVELLING THROUGH!
that doesn't mean spending a hour or two at aunt tillies, or staying overnight, it means getting through "dodge" ASAP

Illinois has changed the conceal carry while in your vehicle.

Details can be found on the Illinois state police web site. Under the heading."Are out-of-state Concealed Carry permit holders granted reciprocity in Illinois?"

The reply is as follows.

"Out of state residents are granted a limited exception to lawfully carry a concealed firearm within a vehicle if they are eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence and are not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law. This rule becomes effective immediately. "

"If the non-resident leaves his/her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act."

Sent from my Nexus 7 using USA Carry mobile app

I know after talking to my brought who is a Cook County LEO, that with the training they received, there was no mention regarding this section of the law. I asked him to talk to a Chicago cop and well let's put it this way, if you're from out of state and carrying in your vehicle or even have a firearm in your vehicle. Do not go to Chicago. If you travel I-80, I-90, I-94, I-294, I-57 or basically anywhere through, even a portion of the city, (on any street) get the hell out ASAP. Chicago cops will pull someone over on the interstate as through Chicago, I've seen it happen. And they will pull someone over, if they even feel their may be any type of suspicion. So when traveling best to travel the interstates, don't follow traffic at the speeds that they travel, obey all traffic laws to a T. Do not, I repeat DO NOT bring any unnecessary attention to yourself. Make sure your vehicle has all functioning lights etc. I know this may sound like paranoia, but better to errr on the side of good judgment, than get stuck in that hellhole. And if any plans, carry a very legible, neat copy of the conceal carry law with this section highlighted, no matter where you travel in Illinois. Just my 2 cents. Hope this gives a good idea from actual LEOs, lack of understanding of the laws of their own state. Too bad the innocent can't hold LEOs accountable for ignorance of the law, like they can, innocent person, who actually for whatever reason, happens to be unaware of laws. Chicago should be avoided, if at all possible, but if you can't, don't raise any suspicion. If pulled over, you will spend time in jail and lots of money, to possibly prove your innocence. K done with my long and partially redundant reply, sorry......
Good luck in anyone's travels through the backwards state of Illinois.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

you can stop right there, a cop is the last place to find reliable and accurate legal info. cops arrest and or shake people down that is all they know.
if you want legal advice consult an attorney, or do a little research

here the FOPA laws are laid out
Firearm Owners Protection Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
this is the IL info
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

In part you are correct. But you are also wrong because the Chicago and C(r)ook County LEOs do not recognize FOPA or their own state laws! Their whole intent is to harass anyone with a gun. Even people who have an IL issued permit and people who are abiding according to the State of IL law. There are other states who also do this. Such as NY and many other lib controlled states.

Granted FOPA does over ride any states so called "ban on all guns" but most people do not have the time nor the money to fight them. I know I would AVOID C(r)ook County like the plague!

Illinois law allows a non-resident more freedom than FOPA. If you are allowed to carry in your home state, you can conceal carry in your car in your car. If overnighting here, unload it and store your firearm in a case within your locked car, or in a locked case in your car. You may also transport it into your hotel room if done unloaded and in a case.

This is all spelled out in 430 ILCS 66/40 (concealed carry in a car by non-residents) and in 430 ILCS 65 (Firearm Owner's Identification).

I live in Illinois as a non-resident (active military, therefore not eligible for an IL carry license); I follow these rules and have never had a problem. And I haven't heard of ANYONE having problems in Cook County either under these new provisions.

Non residents are able to obtain an Illinois carry permit

Sent from my SCH-I535 using USA Carry mobile app

Only if they are residents of HI, NM, SC, or VA and have a license from their home state... and go through 16 hours of training... and pay their $300 application fee... and submit a notarized affidavit.

Yep. Non-residents? Got ya covered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back