Taurus TCP Slide hold open problem.

JimD

JimD
I visited the range today and took my TCP to fire a few rounds thru it just to make sure everything was still working. Without warning I started having the apparently common slide hold open problem. Upon close examination i discovered that the red plastic magazine follower had sufficient lateral play to permit it to scoot over to one side thereby occasionally missing the lever that raises the slide hold open lever with an empty magazine.

So there are 2 options, #1. send it back to Taurus or #2. fix it myself. I choose #2.

Disassemble the magazines, thoroughly clean the red plastic followers with alcohol to remove all dirt and oil. Mix up a small amount of quality epoxy (I used J-B Weld) and apply a thin 1/4 inch wide strip on the side opposite of the metal insert (the object is to position the follower to the proper side to insure positive contact with the slide hold open lever). After the epoxy has fully cured sand-file the epoxy down as required to insure positive action of the follower within the magazine body again.

This fix worked for me and hopefully others will find it helpful.

I had a few problems with my tcp I had some fte and some jaming problems I just want to say i was very impressed with the customer service that taurus provided. They did not charge for shipping. Federal express was here the next day after my call to them and i had the gun back in 10 days Lifetime warranty You can't beat it

How long ago did you purchase your firearm?

JimD,
I have to warn you i have purchased a Taurus and so have two of my family members. One of those family memebers are in law enforcement.

I purchased a Taurus .45ACP Millenium Pro brand new. The first time i took it to the shooting range i ran 30 rounds through it then it began to jam repeatedly. I took it home cleaned it and went the next day to the range. Again the same isssue. I contacted Taurus and they instructed me to ship the gun back to them for repairs. Well they did provide the shipping fee of charge. The problem is that they usually take 3 months to repair and return your firearm. I was not a big fan withought having my firearm for 3 months, however i did need it fixed, so i sent it to Taurus.

Finally about 3 and a half months later i received my firearm back. I took it to the test range and fired 10 rounds then it jammed again! The same exact issue i sent it in for. So i contacted Taurus and spoke to a lady who evidently believed i was a complete idiot. I told her what the issue was and that i just received it back from them and the problem was not fixed. She asked me if i was field stripping it correctly. This infuriated me when she asked me this as i know how to maintain my firearm. I asked her what my options are to get it repaired. She told me to take it to a gunsmith just to make sure i was taking it apart right, or else i would have to send it back and wait 3 month again to recieve it. I thought to myself i just bought a new firearm and had it apporximatlely a week. Then had to send it to Taurus for 3 months now they are wanting it for another 3 months! This is ridiculous. So i said you know what i will take it to a gunsmith.

i took it to a gunsmith and explained the whole situatiion to him. He told me that i need to take this gun back to where i purchased it and demand a refund. I did exactly as he stated. It took some patience with management and finally they put the amount i paid for the gun towards a Glock 30. I have not had one issue after firing over 500 rounds through my Glock.

My brother also purchased a Taurus revolver for his back up weapon as he is a police officer. He called me and said that he was having to send his in because it was not firing. This being a revolver and having mechanical issues shows that the only reason Taurus sells guns are because of the warranty. So if you dont mind having your gun for great lengths of time and want to be treated as a idiot by customer service, return it to them to have them fix it. Otherwise sell it and buy a better brand like GLOCK which i swear by.

I know this is alot of info, but i just wanted to let the buyer beware. If it comes down to my life i want to know that my firearm will perform!

Taurus TCP

I've had the gun several months and overall I am very pleased. I have probably run 200 rounds thru it with no significant problems. Yes, I've probably had one or two jams but that's with one specific brand of ammo. Federal Hydro-shok's for one run flawlessly.

As far as the slide hold open problem that is not so much a problem as an annoyance, hence the "fix it myself".

24v5zsm.jpg

I have a Taurus Judge. I did have to send it back to Taurus and they reworked the timing. No problems since. I would just never buy a Taurus semi. No offense to others that have Taurus semi's.

We had 4 Taurus's 2 709s and 2 738s, one 709 was a real POS traded it for a G-26, the other 3 have had in excess of 3000 rds thru them without a weapon related hicup, I also say with any gun, no matter whos name is on it if it don't operate the way its supposed to it gets gone, and the BS of 2 or 3 hundred rds break in before carrying don't fly ether, some of these small carry pistols can go 20 years and not shoot 50 rds.............

"I also say with any gun, no matter whos name is on it if it don't operate the way its supposed to it gets gone, and the BS of 2 or 3 hundred rds break in before carrying don't fly ether, some of these small carry pistols can go 20 years and not shoot 50 rds............." Good point Rocketgeezer!

I owned a Taurus once....After waiting for !!!!SIX MONTHS!!!! I Got rid of it and went to Glock. I have said it many times to my friends who are looking into purchasing a Taurus. "When I draw and fire I want my gun to go BANG BANG, not CLICK CLICK." Some things in life are just not worth risking and my family, friends, and my safety are not some of those things.

We had 4 Taurus's 2 709s and 2 738s, one 709 was a real POS traded it for a G-26, the other 3 have had in excess of 3000 rds thru them without a weapon related hicup, I also say with any gun, no matter whos name is on it if it don't operate the way its supposed to it gets gone, and the BS of 2 or 3 hundred rds break in before carrying don't fly ether, some of these small carry pistols can go 20 years and not shoot 50 rds.............

I had a Taurus 709 too, but got rid of it. The gun shot fine, most of the time, but I had a hell of a time trying to get it apart for cleaning. It has the take down similar to a Glock, but mine kept on getting stuck some how while I was trying to pull the slide off the frame. Took it to a gunsmith and he could not figure out what the deal was either. I mean I had to really pull on the slide to get it off and I felt as though I was going to break the thing. I know of some guys that swear by Taurus pistols, and some that don't. I feel as though their quality control is hit or miss sometimes. It was the third Taurus pistol I had owned over a period of twenty years, and am going to stay away from them from now on. I just did not have very good luck with them. I carry a Kel Tec P-11 most of the time, and have about 800 rounds through it now. It has been a good gun for me and I trust it. JMHO.:laugh:

We own two Taurus guns, a PT111 (first version) and a J-frame. Both were purchased over 10 years ago. BOTH had problems. I am handy with tools and fixed each issue, but most folks would have needed to send the guns in for repair. Both problems were due to quality control issues, not design issues.

I will never personally purchase another Taurus unless it is (1) cheap and (2) a toy for range practice of some kind, like my Ruger MkIIs. Will never trust a Taurus with my life. I know they make some good guns, but once (twice) burnt, twice shy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back