T/C encore pistol deer hunting

n8ygn

I keep watching sportsman channel but see them using the tc for deer hunting in the rifle config. Yes I've done that 3- 6 pointers with the 280 rifle but I want to hear about pistol hunts. There has to be someone out there besides me that uses the Encore.

I have used my S&W 29 (the most famous though not most powerful handgun in the world) to finish-off a 2x3 150 lb buck at close range.

The advantage is that you don't have the parallax problem with the scope at close range, since the iron sights of the 44 put the round right on target at close range.

Did not want to bloodshot any more of the meat with the rifle, so I took a head shot with the 44, since I was not planning to mount the buck, only wanted the antlers for rattling later on next year for bowhunting season.

I would not hunt with the 44 though, since it is no more accurate than the bow, and the season for handgun hunting is the same as rifle, so it makes no sense to try it.

Whereas with the bow you get to get out earlier than rifle or handgun.

you haven't seen a WV boy shoot before have you? yes I may mess up the meat with a 44 mag but when I heart shoot I heart shoot nothing else the last one with the pistol I never hit a rib no bad meat but that was with the 7/08 at 70 yrds. the 44 i may not be as accurate I may hit a rib lol

I have been hand gun hunting for 25-30 years !
Started with a 357 Ruger Blackhawk , and then moved up to a T C Contender in 35 Remington. Added several pistol barrels over the years in .44 mag , 444 marlin , 45 long colt . Then moved up to an Encore in 30-06 ,15".added a second Encore in 308 , plus rifle barrels in 223,300wining,444 marlin,50 muzzle loader .
The pistols have all taken deer over the years !
I live in a shotgun only area of NY,and can legally use the pistols during the shotgun season. I rarely use a shotgun any more ,opting instead for one of the pistols.
I have taken deer at 10 feet out to 220 yards,and do not feel that I am at any disadvantage.
I don't shoot at moving deer,and ALWAYS use a rest ! My shooting stick is my constant companion !
I also just picked up a Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag , and plan to use that this season !

There is little or no difference in meat damage if you don't shoot into meaty areas,unless you count lungs and heart as meat !

It was said above that pistols are no more accurate than a bow , and I think thats true ! I can hit small targets out past 50 yards with either pistol or bow regularly with open sights ! Add a scope and my contenders and encores are as accurate as any rifle,more accurate than many of them !

I have used a .41 magnum Blackhawk for a long time, and not a deer I've shot has gone more than 30 yards. Several dropped on the spot. The longest shot was about 75 yards out, and the closest probably about 10 yards. Always use some kind of rest, even a strong branch if that's what is available. I've never used and Encore, but the single shot pistol idea is interesting.

T/C Contender 10" bbl. in .44 Mag. or in .357 Max. is my favorite go to deer gun in upstate central NY. Always have a hiking staff with me to use as a rest. Longest shot I ever made was 135 yds. on a decent 8 pt. with the .44 - neck shot, dropped in his tracks. Pro-Point Red Dot on the .44, scoped .357. Max.

Took a 9 point with a 19 inch spread a couple years ago with a Encore .308 Hunter package pistol. We paced off 420 paces to recover the Buck, dropped like a rock.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back