Sturgis, then Minot AFB

bubfryder

Hey all! I'm heading to Sturgis for the rally, then aiming north into North Dakota to visit a son who is stationed in Minot. I'll be CCW for the duration of the trip, but am unsure how to proceed with being on the base w/ a weapon. I am under the assumption that I will not be permitted to bring a weapon on base, but have no idea what to do with mine while I'm visiting. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking!

Hey all! I'm heading to Sturgis for the rally, then aiming north into North Dakota to visit a son who is stationed in Minot. I'll be CCW for the duration of the trip, but am unsure how to proceed with being on the base w/ a weapon. I am under the assumption that I will not be permitted to bring a weapon on base, but have no idea what to do with mine while I'm visiting. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking!
You are correct, you cannot bring a weapon on base. If I were in your position I would rent a small storage unit.

A possible solution would be to check it in at a pawn shop. Borrow $ 20.00 off it and pick it up on your way out after paying off the loan. Just a suggestion

Thanks for looking!

Does your son actually reside on base? Does your son have a car? You could leave your gun locked in the car off base where your son could then meet you and take you on base in his vehicle.

A possible solution would be to check it in at a pawn shop. Borrow $ 20.00 off it and pick it up on your way out after paying off the loan. Just a suggestion

A NICS check and form 4473 is required for a pawn redemption which means the OP would also have to be resident of the same state the Pawn shop is in if the gun pawned was a handgun otherwise the pawn broker in North Dakota would have to ship the handgun to an FFL in the OP's home state who could then legally transfer it back to him.

I've read where you can check it into the bases armory, then re-claim it when leaving. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to that tho, some bases will where others will not. I wonder if it would be an option leave it w/ a gun shop, paying a storage fee or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back