CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

Storing loaded clips

I have never encountered "weak" springs from a loaded magazine; however, I have always (well, since Army tank school, anyway...) unloaded my mags every few weeks and then reloaded them after my hands/fingers have recovered... :biggrin: I even unload my 870 tube. Biggest reason is I like the feel of rounds, mags, shells in my hands - along with the noise they make going back in their rightful places!

Clips are for your hair and storing loaded magazines will not weaken the spring. Constant unloading and loading will eventually weaken the spring but that's probably going to be a problem for your grand children if you keep your magazines clean and use a good dry ube on them. That is all.

How did you even find this thread from 2009? But it's all good, no offense intended. It's a fairly common question and I have asked it myself when I got into guns.

While I haven't had my weapons long enough for the magazine followers/springs to be worn or damaged, Everytime I go out, I remove the hollowpoints that are in the 10 round mag, shoot as much as I have ammo for (who has enuff these days?) and then make sure I have enough rounds to reload everything. When the current "crisis" declines on the availability/cost of JHP's, then I'll go thru that ammo as well. That said, I remember seeing M-16 mags while in the AF that were dated in the 60's still going strong. Just my .02.

Clint

I wish I could get the springs in my CZ magazines to relax even a little. They are really hard to fully load. I try to keep them with the full cartridge load of 12.

Email