CLICK HERE TO WIN A FREE GUN

Sig P290RS Misfires - Light Strikes

weagle83

Any one else having issures with the Sig P290RS with misfires? We picked one up for my wife but after a little shooting, we had 12-14 misfires, or light strikes, on about 135 rounds varying between 3 different ammo brands (all brand name). Most misfires would fire on a restrike but some took multiple restrikes. Not the firing percentage I was looking for in a self defense weapon. I called Sig and their customer service was very good, immediately arranged for paid shipment back to the factory....which made me wonder if they were hearing a lot of this problem.

I had the same issue with an XDS 9mm. The round wasn't being fully chambered due to cheap ammo. Once I switched up ammo everything was fine. But being that you say 3 different ammo types this doesn't seem to be your problem. If it's brand new the spring could be a little tight in your guide rail. Try some +P ammo and see if you have the same problem.

Edit: I Googled some issues for the P290RS, I really can't find anyone with the same problem, most are saying they function flawlessly just a heavy trigger. If you still have the same issue with +P and your grip isn't obstructing the slide (can happen on these nano's) then send it back.

Last edited:
I shot 25 rounds of Hornady +P Critical Defense with 3 misfires. The 135 rounds fired have been with 4 different people, 1 of which is a gunsmith that shoots competitively. There were misfires with all 4 people so I don't think it could be much in the grip. It should arrive back at Sig in N.H. today. Thanks for the input.

As a follow-up, I received my P290RS back from Sig and just yesterday had a chance to test it out.
It went through about 60 rds. of 3 different ammo brands with no misfires (light strikes). Seems to be working fine so far.

Same problem

As a follow-up, I received my P290RS back from Sig and just yesterday had a chance to test it out.
It went through about 60 rds. of 3 different ammo brands with no misfires (light strikes). Seems to be working fine so far.

did sig replace any parts of the weapon?

Email